Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States
herro from Kyoto

Did anyone else ever listen to that podcast called "herro from Japan"? It was from the early days of podcasting, and it was a pretty good one. Anyhow, I shamelessly steal the idea for my thread title.

As implied, I'm writing from Kyoto. I'm a mid-30s male from New York State in the USA, and I've come to Kyoto to attempt the Kenshusei Course at the Mugenjuku Dojo, which is the home dojo of Jacques Payet-sensei.

Before coming to Kyoto, my sole experience with aikido was 2-3 classes I took at university in the 1990s. My roommate was a really smart guy named Byron who was a double-major in engineering and music and enjoyed aikido in his spare time. He tried to get me to join up. Our university club was under the auspices of the aikikai organization of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I don't remember the sensei's name, but if memory serves he was an African-American of 6th-dan grade. Ultimately, I didn't have time for aikido in university, but I may have quit anyhow as my first experiences were not so good. I remember being thrown (figuratively) into a class trying to deal with tanto attacks when I had no experience. It was very frustrating and, I thought, not a good way to start teaching.

As my profile shows, I joined AikiWeb forums back in 2004 but didn't start posting until just recently. For a long time, I've wanted to try aikido again but didn't have the opportunity in my home town. There was a 'dojo' there in a strip mall on the edge of town advertising that the sensei was a 6th dan in aikido, kenjutsu and Zen. Maybe you can get a dan ranking in Zen, but if so I don't know how and the chances that a legitimate 6th dan in all three is living in rural upstate New York is pretty slim. The next best opportunity was in Burlington, VT, but it was quite a long trip for me.

Anyhow, now I am in Kyoto. As my body is falling apart (see my forum thread on knee pain), I may not be able to complete the Kenshusei Course, which is modeled on the (in)famous senshusei/riot police course of the hombu dojo in Tokyo. But I'm going to try, and I hope I am successful enough long enough to make an interesting blog...

...see my AikiWeb blog called Kyoto Kenshusei. Thanks.

Last edited by ChrisMikk : 03-15-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added hypertext link to aikiweb blog
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
akiy

Re: herro from Kyoto

Hi Christian,

Welcome to AikiWeb. I'm looking forward to hearing how your entry into the Kenshusei program goes.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post
Our university club was under the auspices of the aikikai organization of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I don't remember the sensei's name, but if memory serves he was an African-American of 6th-dan grade.
Hi Christian,

The teacher in Philadephia sounds like Donovan Waite. He's not "African-American", though - he's originally from Birmingham, England!

Alex
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
The teacher in Philadephia sounds like Donovan Waite.
Yes, "Donovan Waite" sounds familiar. I believe that is right. Classes at my university, a short trip outside the city on SEPTA, were usually taught by others however.