Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
shadowofleaves
Dojo: Aikido of Evansville/ Evansville, IN
United_States
Re: Looking for first hakama - help, please!

I like the Aikikai hakama from Mugendo Budogu. I have tried many different hakama from different places and I seemed to have settled with this one. However, everyone seems to like something different, makes it difficult to recommend.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

My cotton indigo dyed hakamas have all been from Iwata since 1996 and in 'general' they have been excellent. However, I have found that the last one I ordered in 2007 isn't quite as good in terms of "quality" as my previous ones...

A very good hakama that I use for iaido is from Tozando, their Deluxe Polyester Aikido Hakama....

http://www.tozandoshop.com/Tozando_D...ma_p/000-ah500[205b].htm

It has a nice feel and look. The pleats are sewn in. It washes easy and dries very quickly...and the quality is very good.

-Neal
Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jeffrey Watkins wrote: View Post
I like the Aikikai hakama from Mugendo Budogu. I have tried many different hakama from different places and I seemed to have settled with this one. However, everyone seems to like something different, makes it difficult to recommend.
I've been thinking about one of these - are the pleats sewn, and does it have a good weight to it?

Thanks....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #29
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
I've been thinking about one of these - are the pleats sewn, and does it have a good weight to it?

Thanks....
I have Peter's tetron hak - the pleats are not top stitched but they sure do hold up due to the nature of the fabric. It's a fairly lightweight hak (esp compared to traditional cottons) but I've worn it both for aikido and koryu sword/jo work and really like it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #30
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States

Appreciate the input, everyone. Still haven't ordered one yet; I've been wearing a hand-me-down from one of my teachers for the time being. It's a bit short, but maybe that's not a bad thing while I get used to wearing one.

Tuesday night when I took class it was SO hot and humid; even the hakama was soaked through with sweat after class! I was thinking maybe I picked the wrong week to start wearing it!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
Cynrod
United_States

Quote:
David Maidment wrote: View Post
I'm never going to stop recommending these guys: Nine Circles

I have the H2 and the H11 models (both with stitched pleats) and I love them both. Personally I prefer the feel of the heavier ones. They also do a rubber 'Aiki' style koshiita which is quite nice.
+2 for Nine Circle Hakama. Now they have a store here in the US and their prices are very good.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
Aiki1

United_States

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
+2 for Nine Circle Hakama. Now they have a store here in the US and their prices are very good.
How is the feel/weight of their hakama?

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #33
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi,

You may consider making a hakama with your own choice of materials, feel and weight.

I have the perfect pattern of the tradition hakama designed for aikido use with step-by-step instructions and illustrations. PM me if you are interested.

Regards

David Y
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #34
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Hi,

You may consider making a hakama with your own choice of materials, feel and weight.

I have the perfect pattern of the tradition hakama designed for aikido use with step-by-step instructions and illustrations. PM me if you are interested.

Regards

David Y
That would be very cool, David, but I doubt I'd attempt that at this point in time - perhaps later on when I have a better feel for what I would prefer in terms of material, etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #35
Janet Rosen

Smile Re: Looking for first hakama - help, please!

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Hi,

Regards

David Y
Is that the Round Earth one Carol sells? If so, I proofed it and did the instructions...& have to say it is an interesting exercise to make a Hal but not necessarily one this seamstress is eager to repeat!

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 07-12-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Criminy that should be HAK not Hal....

Janet Rosen
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Is that the Round Earth one Carol sells? If so, I proofed it and did the instructions...& have to say it is an interesting exercise to make a Hal but not necessarily one this seamstress is eager to repeat!
Hi Janet,

No, I have not seen the one done by Carol. Perhaps we can exchange patterns to see the similarities or differences. So far, I have made 6 hakama based on this pattern and plus 2 prototypes before succeeding.

Regards

David Y
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #37
Janet Rosen

HI David, Carol's pattern is here
http://roundearth.stores.yahoo.net/hakformarar.html
I probably have a sample of it somewhere...but I have to say, if you've made 6 you are way ahead of me!!!
I found that making the hakama was not so much a matter of sewing skill as being able to wrestle with and do origami on 4 yards of fabric.
So to toss the conversation back out to the topic: I think that a person with middling sewing skills and the room to manipulate a honking big piece of fabric can make a decent hakama.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #38
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
I found that making the hakama was not so much a matter of sewing skill as being able to wrestle with and do origami on 4 yards of fabric.
So to toss the conversation back out to the topic: I think that a person with middling sewing skills and the room to manipulate a honking big piece of fabric can make a decent hakama.
Hi Janet,

The origami is after sewing the loose pants. Thereafter, you have 2 yards of folded material to handle. The origami is easy once you have the centerlines (sounds like an aikido principle) of the front and back portions and the points to be folded. The tough part is sewing the himo to the koshita and the himo to the front part of the pants. Do you pin or needle stitch the parts first before sewing on a machine? The problem with pinning is that the material will stretch and distort after sewing.

David Y

PS. I am an accountant not a seamstress (seamstror?). Sewing is one of my DIY talent.

Last edited by David Yap : 07-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #39
Janet Rosen

David, definitely a case of YMMV: I don't know what kind of fabric you were using, but my cotton twill was a devil of a burden to carry, fold, manipulate - origami is NOT something I"ve ever enjoyed even w/ little pieces of paper - and my hak most definitely used a full 4 yards of fabric.
For folks thinking about this as a project: as sewing complexity gets rated on commercial patterns, this is NOT an advanced project; the stitches and techniques are pretty basic. It is the proper measurement and the proper placement of the elements that requires attention to detail.
For this reason, a less experienced sewer will probably want to hand-baste for accuracy, but a more experienced sewer who normally just pins, should be fine (I cannot imagine any fabric suitable for a hakama - that is, a sturdy woven fabric without lycra or other stretch threads in the blend - would stretch or distort if pin-basted).
I have to add that you are one brave soul, David, for attempting this as a non-sewing DIY-er!!!! Major kudos to ya!

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 07-13-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #40
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi Janet,

Not disputing the 4 yards of material. What I meant was once you joined and sewed the right and left sides of the pants, you would be handling half the material. Like you said, it is a case of YMMV

The material I used was tetron - 65% polyester and 35% rayon. I will next attempt a denim material. I read somewhere on the Net that some Scots are requesting for tartan haks.

Regards

David Y
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #41
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Well, I received my hakama from Nine Circles USA.

It's an H-2. Looks like I am going to have to try to return it.

first, the material is light, I don't have a problem with that. I expected that. It certainly still feels pretty strong. The stitching feels pretty strong. However, damn koshita is tiny compared to what I am used to. Looks like a kids.

more, it turns out the method on their site underestimates the length you need. I probably need at least a Size 27, the Size 26 is just too short. Still I would be fine returning it and getting a Size 27 H-10 with wider front panel.

But the front himo is too short and this is the longest they offer. They say 420cm, my measure makes it little shorter than that, 4-5 cm short of that. It's a full 40 cm shorter out each side compared to my standard Bujin hakama which allows me to tie the ends in front. That would mean the way they measure it as one long piece the bujin hakamas front himo length was ~500cm.

So if I could get a longer himo, I'd do an exchange but the H-10 front himo is shorter! only 385 cm!

so now need to find out how long the front himo is for Mugendo Budogu tetron hakama.
https://www.budogu.com/products.cfm?...categoryId=166

without Bujin around, am I just S.O.L. to find hakama with long enough himo without paying a lot of money or having to make my own (I don't own a sewing machine and I have no desire to buy one just for this.)

If Budogu is no longer, I may just have to learn to tie it in the back I guess.

Only get Nine Circles hakama if you are scrawny.
Hey I'm not fat. just big.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
David Maidment
United Nations

Craig, I'm sorry to hear of the problems you had with your Nine Circles hakama; I've never experienced any of those problems myself (the length measurements have always been perfect and the himo length has always been exactly the right length for the way I tie it).

They're very helpful people, so if you drop them a line I'm sure they'll help with finding something more suitable or just with assisting in the returns process.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #43
kironin

United_States

Quote:
http://roundearth.stores.yahoo.net/hakformarar.html

Yeah, I'd wouldn't try it myself. Have to ask someone else to do it.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #44
Janet Rosen

Craig, check w/ Peter directly on the Mugendo....I expect it would work at front himo on mine is certainly big enough to tie all the way around and to the front w/ plenty of room to spare, & I'm pretty round around the waist for my height. Koshita is fine.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #45
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Craig, check w/ Peter directly on the Mugendo....I expect it would work at front himo on mine is certainly big enough to tie all the way around and to the front w/ plenty of room to spare, & I'm pretty round around the waist for my height. Koshita is fine.
Already sent him an email. Email Tozando as well.

Still waiting for either to respond. I know it's not Peter's full time gig so was hoping someone here would whip out the tape measure and let me know.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
Aiki1

United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Already sent him an email. Email Tozando as well.

Still waiting for either to respond. I know it's not Peter's full time gig so was hoping someone here would whip out the tape measure and let me know.
I haven't bought a Tozando hakama yet, but I have four of their gis - two single weave and two double weave, and I really like them, that's almost all I wear now. Thinking of getting a hakama from either them or Peter as well....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
kironin

United_States

Funny you mentioned that about Tozando.

Up to now I have only thought of them as a place to order iaito on sale but seems from looking at their site that they expanded.

It seems they have some hakama where you can specify the himo length to a max 480cm , that's getting close to length my Bujin hakama and the comments indicate that these seem pretty nice. Little more but not too much more.

Deluxe Tetron Hakama

Deluxe 100% Polyester Hakama

Last edited by kironin : 07-14-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: correcting links

Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #48
kironin

United_States

found another source of pattern for the DIY crowd

http://lastwear.deviantart.com/art/H...ttern-89369044

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #49
Aiki1

United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Funny you mentioned that about Tozando.

Up to now I have only thought of them as a place to order iaito on sale but seems from looking at their site that they expanded.

It seems they have some hakama where you can specify the himo length to a max 480cm , that's getting close to length my Bujin hakama and the comments indicate that these seem pretty nice. Little more but not too much more.

Deluxe Tetron Hakama

Deluxe 100% Polyester Hakama
It's the shipping that shoots the price up, but sometimes it's worth it....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #50
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
It's the shipping that shoots the price up, but sometimes it's worth it....
yeah, that's why if I am going with it, I'm going with the Tetron for now.

I see now that they list the length on their standard Tetron as 420cm for the front (205cm for back) which is the same as the longest that Nine Circles USA offers. That seems to be the standard which is too short for me.

Even e-bogu.com Tetran Hakama that is pretty cheap at $58 is still almost $100 after you add-on the himo extension service (which I guess I would have to call to find out exactly the length and it makes it non-returnable) and shipping. And it certainly doesn't look as good a quality.

$32 for shipping isn't too bad. makes it $160 for me. and the deluxe has half sizes so I thinking size 27.5 rather 28, I don't think this will shrink like the Bujin cotton blends did.