Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Non-Opposition

Following on from my last thread 'home of spirit' where I talked about non-resistance it leads me to share another understanding of mine...non-opposition.

When studying the words of O'Sensei I would say by taking them as given by him, being a spiritual man, then he is in fact giving principles to be learned and discovered.

When people talk about 'what does enlightened mean' I would say it is best to look at such things from the view of one definition which is awakened. So very simply a person with something good, some part of true self having been awakened. Which in itself shows there is much of us which is asleep.

So when O'Sensei states there is no opponent in Aikido then we can say therefor there is a principle of non-opposition to learn. A brother in arms with non-resistance.

It also brings in the principle of non-aggression and non-disturbance. Practicing these principles bypass the duellistic thinking process and awaken the heart and soul and Ki.

Masakatsu and agatsu, the enemy in you is your own opposition.

Peace.G.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
ryback
Re: Non-Opposition

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Following on from my last thread 'home of spirit' where I talked about non-resistance it leads me to share another understanding of mine...non-opposition.

When studying the words of O'Sensei I would say by taking them as given by him, being a spiritual man, then he is in fact giving principles to be learned and discovered.

When people talk about 'what does enlightened mean' I would say it is best to look at such things from the view of one definition which is awakened. So very simply a person with something good, some part of true self having been awakened. Which in itself shows there is much of us which is asleep.

So when O'Sensei states there is no opponent in Aikido then we can say therefor there is a principle of non-opposition to learn. A brother in arms with non-resistance.

It also brings in the principle of non-aggression and non-disturbance. Practicing these principles bypass the duellistic thinking process and awaken the heart and soul and Ki.

Masakatsu and agatsu, the enemy in you is your own opposition.

Peace.G.
Nice post! And if we take it on a practical level in self defense, it seems to be the only way to actually control a stronger person.
There are people who think that aikido doesn't work for self defense, but in my experience it does. The reason that i think people are having a hard time making it work is that sometimes the abstract way of thinking or acting is the most difficult to achieve.
Non resistance and non opposition are deffinitely abstract concepts and actually are related to Japan's martial tradition for ages in kinds of state of mind such as mu shin and makoto which are abstract too.
In modern way of living we are used in trying too much, putting too much effort, we have to in order to feel that we will be effective. I believe that this is the reason why Steven Seagal sensei says "in aikido you have to unlearn first".
Although effectiveness of technique is for me of the utmost importance, self discovery and development are my goals too. But in order to get there you have first to make your waza work, and through it progress as a person.
So the concepts of non resistance and non opposition must be understood completely in the form of basic principles.
I hope that my post was in line with yours Graham, sorry for its length.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Patrick Hutchinson

Graham,
whether intentional or not, your misspelling of "dualistic" as "duellistic" is pure poetry. Spot on.
Brilliant, man.

Patrick
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
graham christian
England

Nice reply Yannis, thank you. Patrick, thanks for pointing it out, I think that's the best mistake I ever made.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
graham christian
England

I will add here Yannis that recently I was talking to someone who says that O'Sensei said Aikido is 50%
Bun and 50% Bu.

Now Bu he describes as universal love and Bun as education.

Within Bun he says O'Sensei divided such into four parts.
Ki Iku,( education of Ki)
Tai iku,(education of body)
Toku Iku,(development of spiritual charisma) (which I in turn would rather call development of non-resistive presence)
Chi iku, (development of wisdom)

Now whether that's true or not it all fits by my reckoning.

Peace.G.