Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-13-2001, 03:36 AM   #1
Hagen Seibert
Dojo: Kamai
Germany
the book "Aikido: Techniques & Tactics" ?

Aikido: Techniques & Tactics
The Ultimate System of Street Defense
by Bennett, Gary

my first thought when I read the title was: "ha-ha-ha"
my second thought was: "maybe there´s something in it"

did anyone read this book ?
does it hold the promises of the subtitle ?
please let me know your views

Hagen
Old 07-13-2001, 08:06 AM   #2
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
It appears in my look at the book that he learnt Yoseikan Aikido (well he uses the same names as us at least).
Any way Mr Mochizuki developed Yoseikan to be more practical because while he was in france in 1951 (I think) he had to prove Aikido was useful and sometimes he had to use his jujutsu, judo and karate (he was up against western boxing, savate and wrestling). He also told O'sensei this (don't know what he said in return but would love to know). Any way Yoseikan took these facts into account and has just about every think in it (yes including groundwork). So I think Yoseikan would be one of the better Aikido styles for self defense.

Graham Wild
Old 07-13-2001, 09:38 AM   #3
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica
Thumbs up

You might read the reviews on Amazon or right here on Aikiweb's book section before you plop down any cash on this. It is one of the worst rated books on Amazon!

Last I heard, GrandMaster 10th dan Bennett attributes all the bad reviews on some international conspiracy against him by traditional martial artists.. No, it is just bad.

Jim Baker
Oh, by the way, no one at the Yoseikan has any records that he ever studied with them.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
REK
Hagen is right. This is without a doubt the single worst work on aikido it has ever been my sorry pleasure to scan. It was bad enough seeing a paunchy caucasian in his late 30's claiming status as 10th dan, but laughable in the end sections in which he discusses "fitness". Give me a break. Total waste of time, space and energy.

Rob

Old 07-13-2001, 12:00 PM   #5
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbaker
You might read the reviews on Amazon or right here on Aikiweb's book section before you plop down any cash on this. It is one of the worst rated books on Amazon!
Your review here on Aikiweb says it all quite well. It's just plain awful.

http://www.aikiweb.com/supplies/book...html?book_id=2

It was a book to kill time for those who like it better dead.
Dame Rose Macaulay
Old 07-13-2001, 12:25 PM   #6
Jim23
Here's a book that I really enjoyed (am enjoying, actually): Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda.

I have too many yellow stickies on the pages though -- they've got to go before it goes back to the library (I think I'll stop renewing it and actually purchase it)

http://www.aikiweb.com/supplies/book...tml?book_id=49

Excellent book!

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 07-14-2001, 07:27 AM   #7
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
I feel that I need to say I no way endorse the book I just flicked through it and stated why it my be 'The Ultimate System of Street Defense' on my observations.

Graham Wild
Old 07-14-2001, 02:01 PM   #8
aikilouis
France
Concerning Mochizuki Sensei's activities in France in the 50's, I have an article about the subject(Harate Bushido, hors serie nbr 5, july 1999).
After demonstrating Aikido in judo seminars against a number of armed or bare handed opponents, he published a book named "Ma methode d'Aiki-jiu-jitsu" for french judo teachers, including changes of Aikido techniques to suit self-defense purposes. The Aikikai reacted strongly to the publication. Further, the article says that Stanley Pranin's book "Aikido Masters" (that I didn't read) is more complete about Ueshiba Sensei's reaction.

Louis R Joseph
Old 07-14-2001, 05:54 PM   #9
mj
Re: the book "Aikido: Techniques & Tactics" ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagen Seibert
Aikido: Techniques & Tactics
The Ultimate System of Street Defense
by Bennett, Gary

my first thought when I read the title was: "ha-ha-ha"
my second thought was: "maybe there´s something in it"

did anyone read this book ?
does it hold the promises of the subtitle ?
please let me know your views

Hagen
I also read this book, it's hysterical. And not just from an aiki point of view... it really is gruesome...kind of like the Addams Family version of MA. I'd advise everyone to read it. I had tears rolling out of my eyes, must get it out from the library again.

Old 07-14-2001, 07:17 PM   #10
Jim23
Re: Re: the book "Aikido: Techniques & Tactics" ?

Quote:
Originally posted by mj

I also read this book, it's hysterical. And not just from an aiki point of view... it really is gruesome...kind of like the Addams Family version of MA. I'd advise everyone to read it. I had tears rolling out of my eyes, must get it out from the library again.
Just don't buy it and put coin in the guy's pocket.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 07-15-2001, 09:48 PM   #11
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
yeah Jim total Aikido by Gozo Shioda is a great boook indeed. I am Training in Yoshinkan under Jacques Payet sensi yes the french guy on ATM about 5 4 mounths ago. anyhow, that book helped me a lot. hagen as for your book I have not read it. I recomend total Aikido only because I acually use it so it is a bias recommendation. as for other good reading read the spirital foundations of Aikido, and invinsble warrior both greaat books on the philosipy and founder. well gotta run.

Dallas Adolphsen