Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Mediating Reality, Connecting with the World by "The Mirror"

Discuss the article, "Mediating Reality, Connecting with the World" by "The Mirror" here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/themirror/2004_05.html
Old 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Re: Article: Mediating Reality, Connecting with the World by "The Mirror"

"I start each studio session by changing into painting clothes, putting on music, and setting up my palette, which is a transforming ritual that puts me into an altered state. However, it is a totally inward-turning state, separating me from both the world and from my body. While this process fosters my ongoing mental stability, permits me to develop skills as a painter, and may even produce art that expresses spirituality, it is a process that separates me from the world and does not lead to my growing into a different person. "

But this is exactly the essence of a spiritual meditation practice! You seperate yourself from daily living, center yourself physically and mentally, and allow the creative process to move through you. Producing art does not Seperate one from the world, it integrates. Like any other spiritual path, you get out- in this case a painting which expresses the internal urge to create- by going in...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

[quote=Jo AdellBut this is exactly the essence of a spiritual meditation practice! You seperate yourself from daily living, center yourself physically and mentally, and allow the creative process to move through you. Producing art does not Seperate one from the world, it integrates. Like any other spiritual path, you get out- in this case a painting which expresses the internal urge to create- by going in...[/QUOTE]
Hi, Jo!
What you say makes sense, but it doesn't match how I define, for me, spiritual.
Painting does make me a better artist, but it essentially allows me, who I am now, to keep sane *as I am*; it is reflective and integrative but not permanently transformative. I'd like to say there was more to it than that, but I have to admit that in a lifetime of painting, it that's what it is. And also, that's all I need it to be--it's a vital thing, staying sane!
The issue may be mostly semantics. My definition of spirituality, for the purposes of the column and how I live, does not include many inward directed things that I guess most people do consider spiritual practices.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

And as we have seen on these forums, every one of us has our own definition of spirituality!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

heheheh. So true. and ok, too.
It was intriguing to go over to the discussion on another thread, and read you saying that aikido, but not ballet or beadstringing, has been transformational for you in specific ways. Sounds like what I'm saying.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-13-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Janet,

Just another example of how similar we all are in our differences! I think we can all be grateful for how powerful we can become because of these differences. Budo practice is beyond my imagination in the ways it can help us enrich our lives. Thanks for showing us another view.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Janet, thatnks for this article. I identify deeply with both "halves", the artistic and the aikidoka.

(Shameless plug: http://www.the-sanctum.com/Scriptorium/Arrantxa.html)

It was interesting to see your thoughts on the depth of a person's artistic urges; I'd not thought of them in precisely those terms before, but I found myself identifying completely with what you had to say.

Thanks!
Heather
Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Thank you, Heather. I'm asking some non-aikido painter friends for feedback; curious about what their takes might be, too.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Hey Janet! I finally got to read your article.

I came to aikido seeking the spiritual and looking for some kind of transformative experience, what I got was something completely different. Practicing aikido has forced me to look at an aspect of myself that I was ignoring or didn't consider that important -- my body.As I result so I can train better and more intensely I choose to workout and get in shape, and I'm now a much more healthy person. Being physical, learning to trust my body, practicing aikido in a very physical way is the spirituality for me. I've yet and don't seek that transformative experience anymore.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Anna Marie, another good example of why sometimes I think the universe knows better than we do what it is we need/want! I wonder how many of us have started training ostensably for one reason, only to discover something else altogether (Jun, a survey?)

Janet Rosen
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Tony Levi

i gotta tell you something guys. every article i read here astonish me further. they are reflecting my thoughts and mentality. i didnt think aikido is that.. well.. natural until ifound this site.
i guess my teacher aint the best, because he failed to pass on to me and to the rest of his students (without previous experience) those things..
any chance somebody here knows a good Aikido teacher in Israel?

Soft hearted biologist and a veteran member of the winged community
parrots: http://www.greyforums.net
pigeons: http://www.pigeons.biz