Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
jlbrewer
How a TKD yellow belt beat a Akido black belt...

This is in the humor section for a reason - it's not meant to be a critique of either of the arts presented, other than what people might read into it themselves. It is allegedly true, however, told to me by a friend a few weeks ago who was the yellow belt in question several years ago (he would have been in high school at the time - he's not currently involved in any martial arts or sports).

At my friend's Te Kwan Do dojo they were having an exhibition event or something of the sort with judged matches, and there were visitors from an aikido dojo participating.

My friend got picked to go up against the aikido black belt. The sensei explained to him that if he attacked, the aikidoka would throw him on the mat.

Well, for one, my friend is something of a literalist and a wiseass. Two, he'd already spared against a few of the TKD black belts that day with the expected results and wasn't really in the mood for another beat-down.

So the two of them step up to the mat, bow, etc...and my friend puts his hands on his hips and starts glaring at the aikidoka.

"What are you doing?" the aikidoka asks, a little put off.

"Well, sensei said that if I attack you, you'll beat me, and I don't want to get thrown on the mat. I'm just a yellow belt, I've got no problem ending in a draw against a black belt"

Well the aikidoka has no idea what to do. He swears...

Well in this dojo, there was a rule that penalizes you for swearing during the match. So the judges awarded my friend a point!

And that's how a TKD yellow belt beat an aikido black belt 1-0.

Talking about it the other week, we all agreed that my friend had demonstrated the art of winning without fighting.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: How a TKD yellow belt beat a Akido black belt...

Quote:
Jamie Brewer wrote: View Post
This is in the humor section for a reason - it's not meant to be a critique of either of the arts presented, other than what people might read into it themselves. It is allegedly true, however, told to me by a friend a few weeks ago who was the yellow belt in question several years ago (he would have been in high school at the time - he's not currently involved in any martial arts or sports).

At my friend's Te Kwan Do dojo they were having an exhibition event or something of the sort with judged matches, and there were visitors from an aikido dojo participating.

My friend got picked to go up against the aikido black belt. The sensei explained to him that if he attacked, the aikidoka would throw him on the mat.

Well, for one, my friend is something of a literalist and a wiseass. Two, he'd already spared against a few of the TKD black belts that day with the expected results and wasn't really in the mood for another beat-down.

So the two of them step up to the mat, bow, etc...and my friend puts his hands on his hips and starts glaring at the aikidoka.

"What are you doing?" the aikidoka asks, a little put off.

"Well, sensei said that if I attack you, you'll beat me, and I don't want to get thrown on the mat. I'm just a yellow belt, I've got no problem ending in a draw against a black belt"

Well the aikidoka has no idea what to do. He swears...

Well in this dojo, there was a rule that penalizes you for swearing during the match. So the judges awarded my friend a point!

And that's how a TKD yellow belt beat an aikido black belt 1-0.

Talking about it the other week, we all agreed that my friend had demonstrated the art of winning without fighting.
Your funny story is not so far from the truth.....
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
lbb
United_States

Your friend didn't win because he didn't play the game. He did demonstrate the art of not playing a game he can't win at.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
jlbrewer

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Your friend didn't win because he didn't play the game. He did demonstrate the art of not playing a game he can't win at.
Perhaps, but it's not as funny to say it that way. I don't go to a shodokan dojo; the competition, winning and losing doesn't mean anything to me now.

Also, I guess I should say that I have no less respect for the aikido dan students I've met so far.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Nice story. Didn't see that end coming. Hope he got promoted.

G.