Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #326
Mert Gambito
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i believed the standard dress code for IP/IS workshop in hawaii is red thongs. it helped with ki distribution throughout your body.
Hmmmm. Good call. It's a shame to keep someone's Bubbling Wells encased in a shoe. These slippas mo betta in Hawaii:

Mert
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #327
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Dude. I don't think that's the kind of thong Phi had in mind.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #328
Janet Rosen

I am shuddering at the thought of Phi in a Hello Kitty red thong....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #329
Mert Gambito

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I am shuddering at the thought of Phi in a Hello Kitty red thong....
It's OK. He can come to Hawaii and accessorize so he has a complete proper wardrobe (Hello Kitty, and all things Sanrio, are quite popular in Hawaii).

Hugh -- I double checked:

Quote:
i believed the standard dress code for IP/IS workshop in hawaii is red thongs. it helped with ki distribution throughout your body.
Yup, he stated "thongs", plural.

Mert
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #330
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

The islands are safe again.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #331
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
Yup, he stated "thongs", plural.
of course it's plural. have you learned nothing in way of yin yang, in yo, aiki and whatnot? you need at least two: one represents yin, the other, yang. one with pokadots and the other with zebra stripes. one for day time activies and one for the evening stroll along moonlit sandy beach. sometimes you have two wear both because at the extreme yin, it becomes yang, and vice versa. i don't know why you guys bother learning IP/IS when you can't even manage such simple concept!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #332
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

I feel a movie coming up:

"The life of Phi".
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #333
R H
Dojo: Shinkaikan Medford Oregon
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
That said:WHY....IS ANYONE DISCUSSING WHAT I CHARGE IN THE FIRST PLACE?
and then accusing me of only being interested in a marketing/profit motive?
Again
WHY?
Why have none of you EVER, sat here and discussed a virtual parade of top Budo teacher's rates, books, DVD's, first class tickets, marketing and mandatory seminars for rank.
Why_________________________?
Dan
I think it is quite unfortunate that people do focus on the money and use this as a way of dismissing.
First of all, no matter how much you or anyone charges, that does not change the effectiveness of what they may be teaching. But I think, judging by what I have read in this thread, you, Dan are not charging very much for what you teach - certainly not when compared to many of the Shihan in Japan charge. It does strike me as being very selective to point our money motivation when discussing what you do and not point out the obviously high rates charged by other more "respected" teachers.

I'd be interested in meeting you sometime.

Last edited by R H : 04-12-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Explain my motivation
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #334
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Richard Haight wrote: View Post
I think it is quite unfortunate that people do focus on the money and use this as a way of dismissing.
First of all, no matter how much you or anyone charges, that does not change the effectiveness of what they may be teaching. But I think, judging by what I have read in this thread, you, Dan are not charging very much for what you teach - certainly not when compared to many of the Shihan in Japan charge. It does strike me as being very selective to point our money motivation when discussing what you do and not point out the obviously high rates charged by other more "respected" teachers.

I'd be interested in meeting you sometime.
Dan's been permanently banned from Aikiweb (this very thread was the catalyst), but you can find his schedule at http://bodyworkseminars.org/

If it matters, he's gone into his own pocket more than once just in order to come out and play with us in Hawaii.

Best,

Chris

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #335
R H
Dojo: Shinkaikan Medford Oregon
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
If it matters, he's gone into his own pocket more than once just in order to come out and play with us in Hawaii.

Best,

Chris
Well, it is Hawaii after all! Who wouldn't chip in a bit to go there

It's a shame that he was banned here though. Although I do agree that his approach to communicating with people online might sometimes be a bit...how shall I put this...rough...and could be viewed as offensive and opinionated in the extreme, from what I know of my own studies in Daito-ryu, I feel he knows what he is talking about. I would bet plenty of money on his ability. I'm sure, everyone here could learn a lot from his experience. Banning him was a MISTAKE that will only harm the Aikido community.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #336
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Dan's been permanently banned from Aikiweb (this very thread was the catalyst), but you can find his schedule at http://bodyworkseminars.org/
That's a pity. Not a surprise to me though, since he is very outspoken and some of what he has said (which I agree with to a large extent) does indeed run counter to the rules of AikiWeb (which I also agree with).

I just spent a great weekend with Dan in Bristol. It was my first hands-on with him and it changed me from finding what he has said on the forums challenging and stimulating, to being convinced that this stuff is indeed very special and powerful, and indeed missing from most teaching in aikido dojos.

I have plenty to work on and think about after the weekend. I am starting to work with opening and closing the shoulders and kua, which I find very applicable to aikido technique. It was the first time (outside a yoga class, at any rate) that I have ever heard the tanden described as a three-dimensional structure, rather than a point or an amorphous blob, and I find this very illuminating. Lots of other stuff to explore too.

As I said, it is a shame that it seems Dan won't be posting any more, since it was through this very forum that I heard about him.

Alex
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #337
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

It's humorous how both liberalism and conservatism seem so very similar when taken to the extreme...
:0)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #338
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
It's humorous how both liberalism and conservatism seem so very similar when taken to the extreme...
:0)
Where do you see extreme liberalism and conservatism demonstrated here? We're talking about empirical experiences here, not political or philosophical radicalism.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #339
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Where do you see extreme liberalism and conservatism demonstrated here? We're talking about empirical experiences here, not political or philosophical radicalism.
Sorry for the thread drift...just my own random thoughts...not pertaining to an empirical discussion.

Take Care,

ChrisW :0)