Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Shihan

What constitutes being called a shihan? Aikiwiki says simply it's a teacher of teachers, but that could be a lot of people I'm sure many here would disagree with.
Is "shihan" like the term "sensei" in that one never really is supposed to call themselves this (kioshi being the self-title for "teacher" as I understand it)? What are the ethics in calling someone or being called "shihan"?
Sincerely,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Shihan

Check out this article by Yamada Sensei. He wrote it in response to the recent promotions of some instructors to shihan. For a full listing of the USAF-ER shihan go here

Rules Regarding Shihan -- Yamada Sensei

Note in particular the following:

Quote:
Now let me explain what Shihan means in my culture. Please understand that I am not trying to make Shihan seem unimportant, but I must express it in the terms that the Japanese people use the word and what it actually means to us. Shihan is simply another way of saying Sensei. As a matter of fact, it says in the Japanese dictionary that Shihan is used to call the teacher in a particular field or profession such as martial artist or cultural leader. For instance, you call a school teacher in Japan Sensei and you call a teacher of martial arts Shihan. When I make an application for an official document it's proper for me to write Aikido Shihan rather than Aikido Sensei.

I don't know when exactly my students started calling me Shihan. There were no restrictions or regulations. My students simply started calling me Shihan as I got older and more respected. If my students called me Shihan for example, when I was around 30 years old and 4th dan, I'd probably tell my students please don't call me Shihan. But the title of Sensei and Shihan should both come from respect that the instructor earns from their students and the Aikido community.

Please remember, my intention is not to put down the title of Shihan, but to explain how it is used in the culture it comes from.

As for myself, I still prefer for my students to call me Yamada Sensei. It feels more friendly and comfortable to me.
And we still just call him "Sensei." The only times I have seen "shihan" next to his name is on flyers advertising a seminar

Anne Marie Giri
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Mathew;

Shihan is an organizational title more than an honorific and different organizations use it in different ways. A member of my organization would use the title to refer to our head but we would not be required to use it for a different organization. I tend to use it for Aikikai and Judo shihan but that is just a personal choice.

In Aikikai (in Japan) there are quite a few whereas in Shodokan Aikido there are only two. There would be more in the latter organization if they used the same criteria as the former. In Judo, Shihan is tied in very closely with rank (6th Dan) whereas in Aikido that is not necessarily the case.

Hope this helps.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Mashu

Shihan is the master teacher. The person you are supposed to use as a pattern and model yourself after while you train under them.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Thanks for the replies! They all helped very much.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

In japan, any japanese person 6thdan or over is called shihan. For foreigners, 6th dan + some addition paperwork or testing. As explained from a hombu shihan.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #7
akiy

From a linguistic perspective, here are two articles here on AikiWeb on the term "shihan" and "sensei":

Sensei/Shihan as Teacher in Japanese by Peter Goldsbury.

Learning from the Learned: A Story in Pictures by Jim Vance.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Eric Roku wrote:
In japan, any japanese person 6thdan or over is called shihan. For foreigners, 6th dan + some addition paperwork or testing. As explained from a hombu shihan.
Not sure about that Eric (assuming for the moment you are just talking about the Aikikai). I think the relative postition within a group of dojos is important - 6th Dan may be the minimum rank requirement.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

My wife just got her shihan rank in Shodo (Japanese calligraphy) last night! I am very proud of her so excuse my off topic post.

Charles
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
PeterR

Japan

Seriously cool Charles - congrats.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

Yes, it was implied in my post that I meant aikikai, sorry I forgot to say it directly..