Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #51
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States
Re: Fighting Mind vs Warrior Mind

Mary-

I couldn't locate a source for the quotation Stirling gives about warriors. Can you post a link or something? His definition doesn't square with (a) the dictionary (b) the encyclopedia (c) any contemporary slang usage I've ever heard (d) or mention in any of the military histories I've ever read (250+ books covering the entire span of human history).

Technically, the dictionary says a warrior is literally "one who wages war" or just "soldier". Which is kind of a "duh". It also lists the more contemporary civilian usage referring to sports and corporate competition.

Generally speaking, the bulk of historical evidence is that undisciplined "warriors" don't fare well in combat against disciplined "warriors".

Robin

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #52
jurasketu
United_States

Tony/Henry-

Man. Guys... The good points you guys make get lost when you act like Internet Trolls. Harsh banter can be fun and acceptable in person but it doesn't work well at all on the Internet.

Robin

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #53
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robin Johnson wrote: View Post
Tony/Henry-

Man. Guys... The good points you guys make get lost when you act like Internet Trolls. Harsh banter can be fun and acceptable in person but it doesn't work well at all on the Internet.

Robin
Part of being a "warrior" is being able to take it, as well as give it.... It was part of the training when I was in the Mob. It wouldn't hurt some on this site to sign up yourselves and do a bit of worrying or warrioring, then you would find out.....
I believe conscription is still in force over the pond. It's voluntary here and one can be made redundant!!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #54
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Part of being a "warrior" is being able to take it, as well as give it.... It was part of the training when I was in the Mob. It wouldn't hurt some on this site to sign up yourselves and do a bit of worrying or warrioring, then you would find out.....
I believe conscription is still in force over the pond. It's voluntary here and one can be made redundant!!
Tony

You are so insensitive to many humourless members of this forum.
I think you should be banned again ( add me

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-blogs.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #55
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

You are so insensitive to many humourless members of this forum.
I think you should be banned again ( add me

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-blogs.blogspot.com/
Who me insensitive Henry?

What made you think that.....
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #56
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mary-

I couldn't locate a source for the quotation Stirling gives about warriors. Can you post a link or something? His definition doesn't square with (a) the dictionary (b) the encyclopedia (c) any contemporary slang usage I've ever heard (d) or mention in any of the military histories I've ever read (250+ books covering the entire span of human history).
He is a fiction writer. His books are works of fiction. He speaks through the voices of his characters, who are not real people. He is not writing a dictionary or an encyclopedia, whether a traditional one or one of contemporary slang, and he is not writing scholarly works of military history. He uses the term "warrior" to mean one thing. Graham uses "warrior" to mean something else. In my experience, people on Aikiweb generally use "warrior" in a rather ego-gratifying way, to be honest -- they're using "warrior" to fit their fantasies, and then arguing with other people about who's more warriorly. But nobody owns the word, not you, not me, not Graham, not S M Stirling, and not your 250+ books of military history -- so maybe it's time to stop squabbling and trying to own it. Or, alternately, maybe it's time to stop granting the term such stupidly slavish respect. When the word "warrior" can't be used without the testosterone stench starting to rise, maybe it's better abandoned altogether.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #57
jurasketu
United_States

Aw man, Tony. I'm too old for military service. As a young man, I worked 5+ years as a carpenter (framing houses and office buildings), so verbal abuse doesn't even register with me and enduring physical suffering and discomfort I understand to a fair degree. I even understand what its like to suffer or risk harm to prevent a more serious injury or death to someone else - because I did more than once.

But calling me "humorless" - now that really hurts. You and Henry are funny - but I was just trying to point out that it comes across the wrong way.

Mary - Ah... I understand your point better now. Admittedly, I readily enjoy squabbling over the meaning of things.

Robin

Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #58
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Aw man, Tony. I'm too old for military service. As a young man, I worked 5+ years as a carpenter (framing houses and office buildings), so verbal abuse doesn't even register with me and enduring physical suffering and discomfort I understand to a fair degree. I even understand what its like to suffer or risk harm to prevent a more serious injury or death to someone else - because I did more than once.

But calling me "humorless" - now that really hurts. You and Henry are funny - but I was just trying to point out that it comes across the wrong way.
Mary - Ah... I understand your point better now. Admittedly, I readily enjoy squabbling over the meaning of things.

Robin
Hi Robin,

There's not a massive amount of humour to be had here on Aikiweb, we all seem to take things pretty seriously. Fun does get poked, but it is pretty kyu grade stuff. There are a few high grades around, at the monent Phi Truong is easily the best practitioner, his technique is pretty effortless. He can playfully burst a pompus bubble with a sharp observation. Irreverence, cheek and a healthy dollop of self depreciation, a true jestoka.

Tony and Henry are a bit like Statler and Waldorf (but without the benefit of script writers), when they get going. I hope they have sense of humour enough to see the funny side of that

There was a brit on here a while back (Ian Hurst - Happysod), now he was funny. Come back Ian, we need you...

playful regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #59
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

Robin
Robin, If that is the case, then you would still find it humorous, Us Brits do have a tendency for dryness and sardonic wit and I/We must have thicker skins than we realise? Or am I to blunt? Yes I am..... One of my faults I suppose, but I do have a wicked sense of humour and I'm sorry if it offends you that much.....

Take care buddy
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #60
Hellis
England

Tony

The funny little faces ? well, they are no longer funny.

Perhaps we can start a thread on the British economy, we can then all be miserable and depressed.

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #61
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tony

The funny little faces ? well, they are no longer funny.

Perhaps we can start a thread on the British economy, we can then all be miserable and depressed.

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Precisely Sensei...
With our economy we need a good sense of humour...
We have sod all else at present....
Will stop using little green man, can you suggest an alternative?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #62
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Robin,

There's not a massive amount of humour to be had here on Aikiweb, we all seem to take things pretty seriously. Fun does get poked, but it is pretty kyu grade stuff. There are a few high grades around, at the monent Phi Truong is easily the best practitioner, his technique is pretty effortless. He can playfully burst a pompus bubble with a sharp observation. Irreverence, cheek and a healthy dollop of self depreciation, a true jestoka.

Tony and Henry are a bit like Statler and Waldorf (but without the benefit of script writers), when they get going. I hope they have sense of humour enough to see the funny side of that

There was a brit on here a while back (Ian Hurst - Happysod), now he was funny. Come back Ian, we need you...

playful regards

Mark
Mark, who's Statler & Waldorf? I thought we were more like Morcambe & Wise....
Happysod sounds good....
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #63
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Happysod sounds good....
Stattler and Waldorf-sounds like couple of run down motels where I have bedded down in the U.S.A.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #64
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Stattler and Waldorf-sounds like couple of run down motels where I have bedded down in the U.S.A.
Cheers, Joe.
Ha, ha...!!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #65
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #66
dps

Quote:
Happysod sounds good....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVFa...eature=related

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #67
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Isn't there a distinction between the two.
One is for fighting and the other for fun?

dps

I
Give that man the Kewpie doll !!!

Jodie Lives!

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #68
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
IMHO, the distinction isn't the weapon or the occupation, but the person.
The distinction is the nature of the desire of the person for the weapon.

All human evil begins as a spiritual evil. A sword is a shiny chunk of refined rocks...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #69
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
He's a writer of fiction, Graham. He's got a good grasp of military history, and I'm sure he could cite many examples for you of warrior societies in which it was far more than the "odd arrogant one" who was a glory-seeker. As for Maasai and samurai "warriors", that's history if you're rigorous -- if you take the trouble to study and find out what they were really like, instead of telling yourself fancy stories. It's not here and it's not now. People love that word "warrior", but what do they even mean by it, and what relevance does it have to the contemporary reality of their lives? I think in most cases, it's a tenuous connection at best.
Mary,I know it's fiction but you used the writer as an example didn't you?

Read the original post properly and you'll find it's about two different states of mind.

As far as warriors go in relation to the topic and just for you bringing it up to nearer present time I could give you a big list. It's nothing to do with male or testosterone either.

In fact I would say Florence Nightingale and Mother Theresa are good historical examples. The woman I saw in the Egypt conflict recently who just set up a stall with medical equipment out in the open whilst all the fighting was going on around her was also a great example.

You could have Ghandi, Mandela, Buddha, Jesus. You could have people you know. None of those busied theirselves fighting and arguing and blaming and complaining. They decided and acted without fear, with compassion and immovable mind and not may I add for glory.

True warriors all. Then along come the fighters and fight about it.
Same ol same ol.

Regards.G.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #70
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
Aaaaaaah the muppets!!

Which one are you Henry....?

I look like the geezer on the left......
Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #71
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Mary,I know it's fiction but you used the writer as an example didn't you?
That's right. It's an example of how no one owns the words, and anyone can make up a definition for them.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Read the original post properly and you'll find it's about two different states of mind.
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #72
Hellis
England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Tony
Aaaaaaah the muppets!!

Which one are you Henry....?

I look like the geezer on the left......
Tony

You are bringing humour and funny faces to the forum again.
. I can see you getting another reprimand...Please note this is a serious forum.
I am on my best behaviour.....I am going to ```cosy``` up to Graham and learn from a true worrier.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #73
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That's right. It's an example of how no one owns the words, and anyone can make up a definition for them.

Quote:
"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all."
Chapter 6 in Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (1871), by Lewis Carroll

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #74
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
Quote:
:
Mary Malmros wrote: That's right. It's an example of how no one owns the words, and anyone can make up a definition for them.

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all."
Such wisdom in the auld rhymes ...

"... and all the King's horses and all the King's men,
couldn't put Humpty together again. "

Shatter the wholeness in the complex pattern of Truth, and you lose the Way -- and you are well and truly lost...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #75
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony

You are bringing humour and funny faces to the forum again.
. I can see you getting another reprimand...Please note this is a serious forum.
I am on my best behaviour.....I am going to ```cosy``` up to Graham and learn from a true worrier.

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Now that really worries me......