Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #26
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Breakfalls and location of dojos

Why not? If really thrown (koshinage comes to mind), breakfalls are easier than rolling ukemi. Itīs standard aikido way of uke jumping into breakfalls in waza that does not require them that are a bit tricky.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That sounds a bit like the biker's claim that "I had to lay it down." Are you really telling me that your seniors are forcing you, someone new to aikido, to take breakfalls?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #27
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I don't understand this statement.

The only control uke has is the level of commitment, speed, power and type of attack. Once uke attacks nage takes control by breaking uke's balance. There is no keeping up with nage. Nage takes the attack uke provides and returns it back to uke. Whatever happens to uke happens and uke needs to be prepared ( by lots of practice) to take whatever fall is available.

David
I suppose the thing I am suggesting is level of commitment, then. Uke must never stop attacking the nage's center, this gives one more options for falls. Uke also has to keep connection, keep attacking the center, and take advatage of any chances to become Nage (not when the instructor specifically tells you not to, of course, or else the highly experianced members of the dojo would never get thrown). For instance, in an iremange from a shoman strike, the innital blend with the strike should take uke's balance, but uke should react by driving into nage's center so that they can become the nage. If they don't continue to take the other person's center, there is no point in doing an iremange because the uke would just want to back off and try another strike after the first has failed. My sensei has said that all aikido is a battle for the other person's center, and every movement of an uke's is to attack the nage's center. In this manner, uke and nage can very easily switch roles.

In refrance to our original point, choosing soft breakfalls over hard ones, if a uke keeps connection while trying to regain their balance, one can keep a lot of options open as far as falls. For instance, if you are thrown from shihonage and you let your arm get away from your head, you have to take a harder breakfall in order to catch your arm back up to your head so that you don't hurt yourself. If, in the same situation as before, you are able to keep your arm next you your head, you can take a soft breakfall (or maybe even a back roll) because your arm is not in danger and your ballance is closer to being under you.

Did that make sense or am a babbling?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #28
dps

Quote:
Ryan Szesny wrote: View Post
I suppose the thing I am suggesting is level of commitment, then. Uke must never stop attacking the nage's center, this gives one more options for falls. Uke also has to keep connection, keep attacking the center, and take advatage of any chances to become Nage (not when the instructor specifically tells you not to, of course, or else the highly experianced members of the dojo would never get thrown). For instance, in an iremange from a shoman strike, the innital blend with the strike should take uke's balance, but uke should react by driving into nage's center so that they can become the nage. If they don't continue to take the other person's center, there is no point in doing an iremange because the uke would just want to back off and try another strike after the first has failed. My sensei has said that all aikido is a battle for the other person's center, and every movement of an uke's is to attack the nage's center. In this manner, uke and nage can very easily switch roles.

In refrance to our original point, choosing soft breakfalls over hard ones, if a uke keeps connection while trying to regain their balance, one can keep a lot of options open as far as falls. For instance, if you are thrown from shihonage and you let your arm get away from your head, you have to take a harder breakfall in order to catch your arm back up to your head so that you don't hurt yourself. If, in the same situation as before, you are able to keep your arm next you your head, you can take a soft breakfall (or maybe even a back roll) because your arm is not in danger and your ballance is closer to being under you.

Did that make sense or am a babbling?
Okay I understand what you meant and agree 100%. I am sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that uke was chasing nage so that nage could do the technique.

Thank You
David

Last edited by dps : 07-22-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I'm from NYC and we don't do a lot of breakfalls. Mostly I do them to impress children.