Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #301
Chris Lacey

Dojo: Aiki Institute of Spokane Roshinkan Aikido Dojo
United_States
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Oh a couple more...

You light incense in the conference room before every team meeting...

On prom night your daughters date sees you practicing bokken katas ...with a live blade..

Last edited by Chris Lacey : 03-07-2008 at 04:36 PM.

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #302
Connor Haberland

Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
United_States

Lol, id like to practice my bokken katas with a live blade. Too bad I dont own one.....so far. Ive been trying to get my Dad to allow me to by one.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.

コナーヘバーランド
Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #303
Callista

Dojo: Stillpoint Aikido Center
United_States

I can relate to this one.....

"If after not doing Aikido for 6 months you go to class and go home in pain, but you loved every minute of it."*

*paraphrased.

I was training at another school, and ended up with a torn rotator cuff, which is doing a lot better now. I was so sore after my first class (3 weeks ago) at Stillpoint. But I loved every minute of it

Oh, and by the way, Connor; I DO have a live blade. Wish it wasn't illegal to carry around

ps: What is Tai Sabachi?

Last edited by Callista : 03-09-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Cailin Gerrans
------------------
Deshi of Stillpoint Center
Old 03-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #304
Connor Haberland

Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
United_States

Think you could hook me up? lol. Yeah if i had one I would hate the fact that its illegal to carry around. Taisabaki is Japanese for Body Movement. Meaning as one comes to attack get out of the way, or move away so that you can defend yourself.

Connor

Glad I could help.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.

コナーヘバーランド
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #305
Callista

Dojo: Stillpoint Aikido Center
United_States

Domo, Connor! I'm still learning the Japanese, or rather re-learning.

Cailin Gerrans
------------------
Deshi of Stillpoint Center
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #306
Chris Lacey

Dojo: Aiki Institute of Spokane Roshinkan Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Cailin Gerrans wrote: View Post
Oh, and by the way, Connor; I DO have a live blade. Wish it wasn't illegal to carry around
LOL! I lived in Austin for 17 years. I bet if you put it in a gun rack of a pickup above the shotgun, no one would notice...

Discalimer: I am not advocating breaking any federal, regional, state or local laws.

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------
Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #307
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

. . . you haven't logged onto this site for some months and the first topic you check is this one

. . . on meeting new Martial Artists your friends wince because they can see what's going to happen, and then rate the newbies on whether or not they follow your instructions to "grab my wrist" the rating continues until they have all learnt that grabbing the social sec's wrist will equal pain.

. . . you consider your grade in other martial arts as "time fillers" till you can get back to training for aikido

. . . you come home from uni for a weekend a day early so you can get a training session in, and surprise your boyfriend in one simple action (and it worked so well, he was taking the class and about to take the bow when i walked in, so he started grinning and the class didn't realise why till they turned to look)

. . . you learn to use a sword and a jo in a different martial art and spend the entire time wondering if what you're learning will be applicable in aikido
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #308
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Eek! Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Roberta Eisler wrote: View Post
You try Ikkyo on your dog because the family is tired of you practicing on them

ps. didn't work, she can't bend that direction
Heyy,,,.. Kotegaeshi does works with dogs,...

No animals were killed or injured in the research activity.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #309
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

You usually celebrate birthdays (to your friends and they also to you) with a koshinage for each year.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #310
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

...you've ever considered relocating, and checked every possible job posting against the Aikiweb dojo search to make sure you can continue feeding the habit.

...after spending hours working away at the above, you rank your job choices based on which site has the coolest training opportunities nearby rather than on trivial things like pay and benefits.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #311
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Quote:
César Martínez wrote: View Post
You usually celebrate birthdays (to your friends and they also to you) with a koshinage for each year.
Haha...my dojo actually has a "tradition" where the birthday person gets thrown by everyone at the end of class. I already asked to get thrown on my birthday; one of my friends said I was "weird" to make that request.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #312
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hmmm. 47 ukemi is ok...just not 47 koshinage!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #313
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Quote:
César Martínez wrote: View Post
Heyy,,,.. Kotegaeshi does works with dogs,...

No animals were killed or injured in the research activity.
LOL, I will have to try that

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #314
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

...You're trying to talk your wife into letting you join another dojo so you can train more often.

...You pay the mat fee at two dojos besides your home dojo in order to train more often.

...The soreness in your muscles today is enough to convince you that you need to train more often.

...You do yardwork on weekends to help with your physical conditioning so you can train more often.

...You try to use a rowing exercise movement with your hoe while doing yardwork.

...You keep a rubber bokken in your office at work to practice with while waiting for tests to run.

Last edited by mriehle : 04-23-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Forgot one...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #315
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
Eek! Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You are at a party and someone innocently asks you the question;
Exactly how many martial arts weapons do you own?
Your wife groans in agony and reaches for another drink and you have to answer their question with the following questions.
1. Wood or Steel?
2. Sharpened edge or dull?
3. Training weapon or a real weapon?
Of course, then you spend the next 30 minutes explaining that a training weapon is a real weapon but instead of a sharp edge you use a dull edge and instead of steel you typically use wood for safety reasons (insert additional 10 minutes discussing the various attributes of hickory versus white or red oak or osage orange) then discuss the philosphy behind using weapons for true defense weapons versus learning the sword techiques to apply the motions to hand techniques in Aikido. Of course, then you feel obligated to discuss the atrributes of using a Jo versus a sword (insert 5 minutes discussing the advantages of laminated versus solid wood).
The true answer to whether you are an addict is bothering to discuss the above questions rather than just saying
"18 and counting"

Doc Sexton

Last edited by Randy Sexton : 04-24-2008 at 01:38 PM.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #316
Selnith
United Kingdom

when your parents decide you're coming home for a weekend, buy you train tickets, and one of your first thoughts is "darn, bank holiday monday, no class, maybe i could go on sunday"
Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #317
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

...you spend every free moment watching training footage on your PDA, Crackberry, cell phone, etc.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #318
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

...you keep coming back to a thread that now has over 26,000 views!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #319
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

You know you are an addict when you think about Aikido and count the hours till you can get back on the mat no matter what else you are doing... first thought in morning, last thought at night, every conversation at work, most at home (even though subject has been banned) Some call it obsession, I call it life!!

Last edited by reisler : 05-07-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: .

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #320
Selnith
United Kingdom

you're addicted to aikido when in the pub after a ju jitsu session you start telling your friends all about aikido, the hierarchy, all the great places you get to train etc. etc. etc. then realise you can't remember how you got onto the topic and shut up
within 5 minutes of shutting up you're demonstrating techniques on a lower kyu
Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #321
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Roberta Eisler wrote: View Post
.... Some call it obsession, I call it life!!
[seriousness] Budo is the way of the Warrior; it's a way of life. At some point, if you stick with martial arts long enough, it becomes a part of you. You stop being someone who goes to martial arts classes and you are a martial artist. It's the difference between someone who can bang out Chopsticks and a concert pianist. Martial arts have been a part of my life for half my life, literally, and I've realized stopping would just hurt like h-e-double-toothpicks. Except when I've been sick, there hasn't been one week in the past 23 years when I havne't trained. My Kali instructor has said "It never stops." It doesn't. "Until your last breath," as some say.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. l love this stuff. Just took me a while to finally realize it!

[/seriousness]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled joking around.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #322
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Chris Lacey wrote: View Post
On prom night your daughters date sees you practicing bokken katas ...with a live blade..
And make sure her date "accidentally" sees you doing it, right?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #323
Bruce H
Dojo: Denver Aikikai
United_States

Aikido addict, isn't that an oxy-moron?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #324
Selnith
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
[seriousness] Budo is the way of the Warrior; it's a way of life. At some point, if you stick with martial arts long enough, it becomes a part of you. You stop being someone who goes to martial arts classes and you are a martial artist. It's the difference between someone who can bang out Chopsticks and a concert pianist. Martial arts have been a part of my life for half my life, literally, and I've realized stopping would just hurt like h-e-double-toothpicks. Except when I've been sick, there hasn't been one week in the past 23 years when I havne't trained. My Kali instructor has said "It never stops." It doesn't. "Until your last breath," as some say.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. l love this stuff. Just took me a while to finally realize it!

[/seriousness]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled joking around.
our sensei tells "Quitters never win and winners never quit."
Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #325
Angela Dunn
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee/Billingham
England

Your Open University Tutor group that you only talk to online ask you about how training is going.

In your bosses work diary grading days are all marked in. And she knows not only what night each class is but the times and location. I am sure there is a course guide at work to.

The first person whom has read any of my fiction writing, outside of uni and my mam was my Sensei. And it was about aikido!

The same story was enetered into a local contest. I was featured in the paper, contacting the paper to do a press interview for the other work much later and the reporter called me the aikido girl.

You end up being roped in to demonste aikido to your boss for someone coming in for an interview. For something entirely unrelated to aikido. He was a former dojo member. He got the job.

On a works night out to the bowling alley you end up getting into a conversation with the manager about aikido. May have had something to do with the fact I temporarily broke the lane with a bowling ball. My workmates told the staff that "She does that with people to."