Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
kewms
Re: What is the correct hand placement when do kote gaeshi?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Kotegaishi needs kuzushi to work. If you accomplish that with atemi I can think of better things to do than switch to that particular technique.
I think we have gone beyond the realm of what can be discussed online. I know what I'm visualizing, but I'm not sure I can convey the nuances accurately.

The short version is that, in our approach, a strong irimi is the starting point of pretty much every technique, and that includes both a focus on uke's center and at least the threat of an appropriate atemi. The resulting technique then depends on what uke does: in kata practice, it's uke's responsibility to respond in a way that allows nage to complete the prescribed technique.

If we're not practicing a specific kata, then my goal as nage is to get uke on the ground and neutralize the situation as efficiently as possible, which may or may not involve kotegaeshi but *will* involve a strong irimi.

Katherine
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
SeaGrass
Dojo: Kenshinyokan
United_States

Quote:
Phuong Vu wrote: View Post
what is the correct way to grip the uke hand when we do the kote gaeshi?
And which kind of kote gaeshi below here is better? I have 2 sensei at my dojo and both studied the different style, 1 is aikikai and 1 is shishiya-nishio. I often get confused and don't know which is better to do and to learn? I just want to stick to 1 to get a the good habit.

shishiya- nishio way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpK2C4H8OR8

aikikai one ... I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll1GCzl4Bxg

In addition, how the leg should move? step back or step in front in order not to get hit by uke's free hand?
Thank you so much!
Phuong, do both. There are stylistic differences but the principle of kote-gaeshi is the same. If you're keen on picking one then use the one that works best for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #28
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

The focus is the connection with uke...all of uke. Then you will know exactly what to do, how to do it and the speed at which to do it.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
pierotofy
Dojo: Northern Lights Aikido

Personally, I think the goal is to take the slack out of the wrist, which then allows you to control the elbow, which in turns connects you to the shoulder, then the rest of the body. You shouldn't be torquing the wrist as a mechanism to do the throw. Once you connect, you can shift their balance where you want the person to fall.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #30
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Piero Toffanin wrote: View Post
Personally, I think the goal is to take the slack out of the wrist, which then allows you to control the elbow, which in turns connects you to the shoulder, then the rest of the body. You shouldn't be torquing the wrist as a mechanism to do the throw. Once you connect, you can shift their balance where you want the person to fall.
One of the biggest problems I see are people simply torquing the wrist. It really doesn't do anything, you have to actually effect the elbow-hips, like you say. Its an arm-body throw, you are just using the wrist to get there.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #31
lifestylemanoz
Dojo: Aikido Kobukai
Australia

Basically whatever you can pull off at the time. I would attempt all of them and see what you prefer. Early on in Yoseikan style we literally control hand while atemi, then break balance using arm (jujutsu style - leaning into the arm on turn). This would send Uke forward in the same direction of attack. The wrist reversal would then make uke slip or slide forward as his forward momentum is countered with a reversal movement taking out your feet sometimes in the process.

I have also studied Aikiki and appreciate the method of teaching the down and up and down movement with balance taking with Aiki. So, the corollory of that is I use it however I feel. If I make a big tenkan entry Aikiki style. If i slip the punch and strike, aikijujutsu.