Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-07-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 7, 2002:

If you could take a magical pill to become a total beginner in aikido again, would you?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #2
guest1234
Hmmmm

Well, I'm not much past that point, anyway. And I kind of consider that magic pill to exist, it's when I put my shoes in the rack before class.

With every technique, I do exactly what I did from my second class onward (first class was just rolls/falls): I watch my sensei's feet twice, then his hands once, then ukemi once. Repeat if there's more than four demo's. Then I get up and try to do what I just saw. I've never NOT seen something new, with any instructor, with any technique.

My belt is a bit softer so stays tied longer now, but I wouldn't mind going back to my beginner days of taping it to stay closed.

My ukemi -- sigh -- is not much different. I'm the type most hate , who never had pain in her rolls and loved breakfalls from the moment I first tried them. The drawback is, I don't see much improvement when I look at how I was and how I am... pain is a great motivator to dramatic improvement.

So I'd say if you saw me then and see me now, not much difference... but it has not been that long anyway.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
beginners magic pill

Ya means dey have a pill for that now?

Aren't we beginners each day we wake up?

All kidding aside. Even if we had the electronic or chemical means to institute such a thing, the physical relearning of your daily life is the same as this subject. Every thing we learn, or do during our day is the repetition of a daily beginner learning to become better and better at each task.

Without this learning and relearning, I do believe we would be driviling idiots?

Aside from the comical aspect most men already are, I guess we will just have to take the good with the bad.

Of course one of them little flashy lites like Men in Black use would be nice to make people forget our mistakes ....
Old 04-09-2002, 03:57 AM   #4
shihonage
United_States
I don't know what disturbs me more - the fact that someone actually came up with this poll, or that a number of people actually answered "Yes".
Old 04-09-2002, 09:38 AM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by shihonage
I don't know what disturbs me more - the fact that someone actually came up with this poll, or that a number of people actually answered "Yes".
Sigh. Critics...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
John Glass
Dojo: x nippon kan
Freaky!

I was always told that it is the journey that is important, and not the end result. I'm however not surprised that when asked "if anyone would like to take a magic pill to once again become a beginner" so few said yes.

I feel that we are always on the journey, but the Aikido journey is one where hopefully we fondly remember the past, enjoy the present, and look forward to the future.

My general experience has been that each practice has brought greater enjoyment than that which was gained during the last practice. The obvious implication here is that with time and experience, Aikido becomes more fulfilling. Going backwards would only negate the greater enjoyment rewards eared from time already spent!

John Glass
Old 04-09-2002, 10:27 AM   #7
Rastamon
Magic Poll

I would suppose that I "take a magic pill" every single time i step on the matt. I begin all over again. Every time.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:58 PM   #8
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Freaky!

People actually answer yes???????

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com