Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
AnniN
Dojo: Menai Ki Society
Finland
Is white the only acceptable colour for gi?

Just wondering, all aikido people i've seen have had white gis... Is it just a coincidence or is white the only ok colour in dojos? Or is it ok to wear whatever colour gi you want ? I know it probably varies with different clubs but I would like to hear your opinion! I have a terrible itch to get a blue or black gi, they would look so good once I get a hakama!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
Re: Is white the only acceptable colour for gi?

As a Tae Kwon Do martial artist I had some really cool looking gi for competition which looked great for the show. It draws attention to you as an individual and makes you stand out as unique. For example, someone may not immediately recall your name but they remember the guy in the cool black gi with the red stripe! Psychologically, it was equivalent to Superman putting on the red tights and cape causing you a point of focus for the transition from normal to Martial Artist! Good for show, good for psychological reasons, good for individuality.
As an Aikido martial artist, my objective is to blend, be humble, and become part of the universe rather than focus on my individualiy. Putting on the traditional white (symbol of purity) gi and my traditional back Hakama is putting on the super suit but creating for me a different psychological effect. One of calm and readiness to train in Aikido. To focus on humility and lose the competitiveness and ready myself to train and to face my inner fears and inner enemy. The only trophy to win is my own soul.
To answer your question I know some who express their individuality by using a black, gray, blue or other color of hakama. I've read in post-war Japan many Aikidoka wore any hakama that they could get which could be black or brightly colored ranging from cotton to silk!
I think most of us tend to express our individuality with our choice of weapon bags, kanji on our training weapons, and different styles, sizes, and weights of our bokken and jo.
IMHO I recommend you rejoice in your uniqueness and express your individuality but use humility and good judgement.
Just thoughts from the TKD guy in the black gi with the red stripes and doing the Korean sword form with the the red handle and black stripe down the spine of the bokken. It was a good look for the right place.

Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

You can see aikido instructors and practitioners wearing other than white keikogi/black hakama in old pics and videos.

Some examples are O Sensei, Abe Tadashi, Noro Masamichi.

I don't think white keikogi w/ black hakama is really traditional. However, when you're in Rome...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Also Mochizuki and others...

Actually I don't believe white keikogi plus black hakama is that traditional. I usually wear blue uwagi, only sometimes I use white.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Anni Nurminen wrote: View Post
...I know it probably varies with different clubs but I would like to hear your opinion! I have a terrible itch to get a blue or black gi, they would look so good once I get a hakama!
dude,forget about us. whatever colour your dojo/instructor tells you to wear, you wear!

:P
Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
AnniN
Finland

Thanks for your advice I mainly meant to ask about people's opinions about different coloured gis in general though, what they wear and how things are in their dojos... How far is it acceptable to go in terms of individuality of dogis?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

Quote:
How far is it acceptable to go in terms of individuality of dogis?
In my dojo, you get to choose the colour...

...for the name stitching on your hakama. And your hakama may be indigo or black.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

If you sew your own dogi, you get to pick the white or unbleached cotton or hemp fabric its made of :-) otherwise, what you usually see is a judogi or karate gi or a Bujin aikido gi.... your choice of white or off white!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
ColeH-22
Dojo: Eight Winds Aikido Society Pearl Dojo
United_States

In the dojo where I study at most of us wear the Traditional Whit Gi with the Black Hakama including our Sensie, but some of us also study Judo so some days we will wear our blue Judo Gi's. The only person that I know of that wears a Navy Blue Gi and Hakama is our Shihan or the founder of our Society/Club. Shihan Carmen Pelusi. We even have a guy that studies with us who teaches Kali and he wears the training gear from his dojo which is normally sweat pants and a t-shirt.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. The traditional aikido gi is white, but it seems that many of us go through a phase where we ponder wearing a blue or black gi.I went through a phase myself where, after being in a devastating car accident and being in a coma for 5 days plus spending 3 1/2 months in the hospital, one of the first things I said when coming out of coma was " I've been traveling. I have to wear a black gi now..." It seems that in the Noh theatre, the people wearing black are invisible. I went through a phase where I wore a black gi for about 4 months and then I wanted to look like everyone else again.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
The traditional aikido gi is white, [...]
But, again, who stablished this? We see pictures of high ranking old uchideshi wearing coloured keikogis. Ueshiba himself and all!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

"Do you want the white, the off-white, the bone, the cream, the ivory or the beige dogi?"

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Just wondering, all aikido people i've seen have had white gis... Is it just a coincidence or is white the only ok colour in dojos? Or is it ok to wear whatever colour gi you want ? I know it probably varies with different clubs but I would like to hear your opinion! I have a terrible itch to get a blue or black gi, they would look so good once I get a hakama!
Funny you should ask.

I remember at last years seminar, a 1st kyu came in dressed like all of us. But the next couple of days he came dressed in all black. (Hakama, gi top, etc.) It was funny, Sensei called him the black master picking at him. (jokingly of course.)

But I suppose he felt he wanted to wear what he wanted.

Personally I suppose it would be better to find out what the flow is at your dojo, but yes they sale black gis even at some of the Aikido stores. (Actually you can find all kind of colors as some of these places, and some nice hakamas at that. Found one handmade that I would love to get if I ranked black ever...though if I leave Hungary I would probably stop taking Aikdio, so not sure if I will reach black or not.)

Anyway...all the best.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu. The traditional aikido gi is white, but it seems that many of us go through a phase where we ponder wearing a blue or black gi.I went through a phase myself where, after being in a devastating car accident and being in a coma for 5 days plus spending 3 1/2 months in the hospital, one of the first things I said when coming out of coma was " I've been traveling. I have to wear a black gi now..." It seems that in the Noh theatre, the people wearing black are invisible. I went through a phase where I wore a black gi for about 4 months and then I wanted to look like everyone else again.

In gassho,

Mark
Mark, and I thought I had it rough. (I was out when a car hit me on my bicycle...it was a transam.) But not for 5 days...glad your o.k. and here to talk about it.

(sorry, I know this isnt on topic.)

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
BC

I think white is the most common. However, there is at least one person in our dojo whose keiko gi is a yellowish light brown. Although I do not believe it is the result of any dyes - more a lack of washing. He has the odor to accompany his outfit as well...

Robert Cronin
Old 10-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote: View Post
...there is at least one person in our dojo whose keiko gi is a yellowish light brown. Although I do not believe it is the result of any dyes...
hahhahahahaha

bob, i wonder what's worse... this guy, or our buddy 'skids' from a few years ago :P
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

I think the white keikogi/black hakama becoming a tradition is a recent phenomena. I've been told that when Kano's judo-style keikogi became popular they were white simply because it was much much cheaper to not dye them (indigo being extremely pricey and all). People just kept using the white keikogi, and after-the-fact, our human need to rationalize came up with all sorts of explanations like it represents purity or uniformity or the beginner's mind or whatever.

I don't know why hakama are now predominantly black; I've seen old traditional hakama that were grey or indigo with stripes.

Ultimately, I wear white keikogi because everyone else in my dojo does and its widely available. I doesn't really effect my training what color I wear; if anything I'd be interested in training in street clothes because it changes the dynamics of what you can and cannot do.

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
BC

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
hahhahahahaha

bob, i wonder what's worse... this guy, or our buddy 'skids' from a few years ago :P
LOL! I forgot about Skids! Hard to believe...

Robert Cronin
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
AnniN
Finland

oh man, now I really wish I could wear a blue gi! My sensei seems pretty stubborn about wearing only white. Maybe I could convince him with some hard evidence of Ueshiba & Co. wearing different coloured gis? I suppose there's some sort of official rule somewhere that states :"Thou shalt not wear a blue dogi.." Womder if anyone's ever had a black gi and white hakama? :P
Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

When I took aikijitsu, we wore black gi's. I absolutely LOVED wearing black. Doesn't show dirt/stains as easy, isn't see through (I hate having to pick out underwear that won't show through my thin aikido/judo pants) and I just plain loved the look of black gi's. I particularly liked how the black belts blended in with the gi. Made the black belts look very modest.

I don't have anything wrong with wearing a white gi now though. You do what is called for at your dojo. A colored gi does just the same thing as a white gi... though colors are pretty!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
eyrie

Australia

Personally, I like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WU-WE066-68.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	586  

Ignatius
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
seank
Australia

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Personally, I like this...
It's Spaceball One!

They've gone to plaid!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
eyrie

Australia

I see... your Schwartz is bigger than mine...

Seriously, the diamond stitching (as modelled above by my good friend Dan Djurdjevic) helps reinforce the uwagi and prevents tearing, not to mention the rather interesting and disconcerting depth-perception effect it creates.

I see bugei.com sells these as "very traditional" dojo clothing in white and blue... but we're getting off topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	609_small.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	587  

Ignatius
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Seriously, the diamond stitching (as modelled above by my good friend Dan Djurdjevic) helps reinforce the uwagi and prevents tearing, not to mention the rather interesting and disconcerting depth-perception effect it creates.

I see bugei.com sells these as "very traditional" dojo clothing in white and blue... but we're getting off topic.
Those are called musashi keikogi. "Musashi" in this case is 無刺し and means "unstitched". They are kendogi, and they are traditional--for little kids. The lack of stitching makes them cheaper (kids will grow out of them), but it also means the item is weaker and doesn't provide as much padding against blows. Despite being sometimes marketed to adults outside Japan, inside it you'll be hard pressed to find an adult wearing one.

Kentokuseisei
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #25
Erik Rosén
Dojo: OSI
Norway

Hombu Dojo sells both "hospital white" and off white colored gis. So off white should be acceptable. I prefer unbleached because it has less of an impact on climate change.

M. Ueshiba "The art of peace starts with you"

Good luck with your training!

:-) Erik
--------------------
On the impact of bleaching and scouring cotton:
http://www.ozone-bleach.com/en/ozone...ositive_is.htm