Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
feeling bad...

does anyone feel bad when they miss class, even if you have a good reason to have missed it, I missed a class wednesday night because I had to pick up my girlfriend at the airport, and he flight came in smack in the middle of class, a perfectly good reason, but I feel bad about missing it

Dan Hulley
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
JamesDavid
Australia
Re: feeling bad...

I have known my girlfriend as long as I have practiced aikido, so she knows that it dominates my things to do list. But I am afraid she would win that one. Or in a different perspective once you get a reputation of training often people come to expect it of you. So I hate to hear the "where have you been" line when walking onto the mat. I just try not to go more than one day in a row without training. If your girlfriend complains do what I do. I say, "you know, if I save all the money I spend on training fees I could get a Sony play station and stay at home drinking beer and playing games". She usually responds by saying that she loves that fact that I do martial arts!! Although be warned women are better at this game then us so you will be outclassed with such tactics eventually.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Sometimes i feel bad because i don't go to class nearly as much as i should but... It is your decision and even if you decide to miss a class simply b/c you dont want to go, you shouldn't feel bad because you have your whole life to train at the pace that you want to go. No one should pressure you to train more or less only you know the amount that is right for you.

And just because you werent in the dojo for a night doesnt mean you weren't training. Applying aikido priniciples to everyday life and even visualizing yourself practicing are considered training in my eyes.

Dont feel bad, you had a perfectly good reason and it couldnt be helped. Train hard next week!!

Just my opinion,
*Paige*
Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Huh, feeling bad would be an understatement... I have been injured for almost four weeks now and apart from feeling bad about it, I am also suffering from serious withdrawal

I know how you feel....
Old 03-17-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
Travis Johnson
Dojo: Nippon Kan Aikido, Denver, CO
United_States

yeah, this week i had to miss 3 days in a row because of a sore throat that affected my whole body. i could't even get out of bed. i looked at the clock at 6PM. "class is starting," i thought.
I looked at the clock again at 8:00. "i guess they're bowing out right now," i sighed.
it's hard on an aiki-addict like me, esp. when you never miss a class, no matter what. damn, i may have to be off the matt tomorrow but i'll watchin from the side, that's for sure!
i know what ya mean about feeling guilty (for lack of a better word!) about missin class.

happy and safe training everyone!
--Travis
Old 03-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Feeling bad about missing class or the occaisonal seminar only lasts for a short time; we all literally think that we are going to live forever. The more stuff you skip, the easier it gets. The guilt grows and stuffs you into a box, it may dawn on you that you cannot get out of this box. That is why less than 1% of people alive today are seriously involved in martial arts.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
Psufencer

Dojo: Lower Providence Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
Huh, feeling bad would be an understatement... I have been injured for almost four weeks now and apart from feeling bad about it, I am also suffering from serious withdrawal

I know how you feel....
I'll second that! I just came back from six weeks out with a knee injury. I felt horrible about missing the training, but just found myself getting grumpier by the day without the release! I'd say that my fiancee was happy to see me go back to class. She'll give up the couple of hours here and there if it means I'm well-balanced when I do happen to be around...
Old 03-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

I hate missing classes, especially since right now due to my work schedule I can only make 2 classes a week as it is. If I miss one of those 2 I am itching to get back on the mat by the time the next one rolls around.

I also feel badly because it is a 6:30-7:30 AM class (I work until 11:00 PM so no night classes for me right now) and there are only 2-3 of us that show up for this intermediates class. If I miss then I may be depriving someone else of training for that day which I don't like.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Feeling bad for missing a class takes on an entirely new meaning if you've begun teaching. Train as much as you can, but be prepared for your responsibilities to change.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida