Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #26
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: "British Aikido - Full Circle" by Henry Ellis

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
Hi Darren,

maybe Peter G. and I are mistaken.

Anyway please give Mike my regards.
Thats kind of you Phil...but you and Peter G are correct.

I knew Mike was training in the 60's but his Aiki didn't start until the 1970's.

It was my honest mistake. When I think of Mike with long hair and flares I get chronologically confused.

Who could blame me?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #27
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Thats kind of you Phil...but you and Peter G are correct.

I knew Mike was training in the 60's but his Aiki didn't start until the 1970's.

It was my honest mistake. When I think of Mike with long hair and flares I get chronologically confused.

Who could blame me?
Hi Daren,
Last time I saw Narey Sensei [Abbe Sensei 50th] he still had the long hair and the flares!!Thats how I recognised him.
Cheers, Joe.
Ps Only kidding.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #28
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Hi Joe,

Thanks for mentioning Tom Moss, he was definitely around in the 70's as he was awarded his shodan in 1969. It would be good to get something together to show where all the influences for UK aikido came from.

Henry, hope all is well, I do need to sort out a visit sometime soon... I've been a little busy at the club recently so I've not been online that much... and those DVD's are rather long overdue as it the beer! Do you have any more information on K. Webster, is he still around?

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #29
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Daren,
Last time I saw Narey Sensei [Abbe Sensei 50th] he still had the long hair and the flares!!Thats how I recognised him.
Cheers, Joe.
Ps Only kidding.
Excellent !

I'll mention both you and Peter to him and I'll ask about Peter's books - not that I'll send them to japan but I'll 'borrow' them if they are any good.

Cheers

D
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #30
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Excellent !

I'll mention both you and Peter to him and I'll ask about Peter's books - not that I'll send them to japan but I'll 'borrow' them if they are any good.

Cheers

D
Oh, I would think they'd have fallen to pieces by now, or been eaten by the insect population of the West Midlands. In any case, I thought that Mike now lives in Bristol, right?

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #31
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Oh, I would think they'd have fallen to pieces by now, or been eaten by the insect population of the West Midlands. In any case, I thought that Mike now lives in Bristol, right?
Yes - he's in Bristol but still dresses like a yorkshire man ...hence Joe's observations on his fashion sense
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #32
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello Joe,

I remember Mary Lou and also Margaret Hughes. I think she was a 2nd or 3rd dan when I used to go to the dojo in Chiswick. Mike Holloway was there as well, and also a hippy-looking Minoru Kanetsuka with a goatee beard. His wife-to-be, Susan Gordon was also there. Later, after the separation between Ryushinkan and Tempukan, George Stavros (the hairdresser, right?) used to train occasionally at Ryushinkan, as did Murray Walker, who used to practise like a machine. He just never ever got tired.

I think I visited your part of the country with the University College London minibus. I certainly remember Arthur Lockyear. Actually, I traveled to a number of places in that Ford Transit; we once lost a spare wheel going round a roundabout somewhere in Leeds. I think it was Ken Marsden who ran the dojo there.

At the end of March, it will be 30 years since I left the UK.

Best wishes,

Peter G.

Quote:
Mary Lou Watters [now in Quebec] , Murray &Sheila Walker,Andreas Teofanis, George Stavros , Margaret Suissman, Allan Burke, were in London as well.
In Liverpool Graham Morris [now in Oz] was knocking around.Bob Spence , Tom Moss were probably on the scene as well.
As I am now 71 and the memory cells are fading by the minute I just remember the old guys.
I have always thought the 60s /70s were the Golden Years of British Aikido.So many great Instructors visited the U.K.
Tamura, Sekiya, Saito, Yamaguchi, Yamada, Shibata, Kanai
Kitaura, Fujita, Fujimoto Senseis to name but a few.Happy Days!!! Cheers, Joe.

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #33
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello again, Joe,

As for the splits within British Aikido, you should see the situation in Japan. Even in Hiroshima City alone, there are four different organizations affiliated to the Aikikai, plus all the others related to Yoshinkan, Ki Society etc. People think of aikido as harmony etc, but when you read the life of O Sensei and his teachers, you realize that it was never like that.

How are you spending your retirement? As you have gathered, I am writing history, but there is one other project that I am actively planning. This is an aikido murder thriller, on the lines of the Name of the Rose. Imagine the scene. A major residential training course, with Doshu and other high-ranking senseis. And then gruesomely murdered corpses are found in various locations and popular suspicion is leveled at some visitors from MMA, who really think that aikido is useless as a martial art anyway, because the attacks are not realistic enough. The problem is that the murders all follow a pattern, which would be completely unknown to MMA people unless they had read O Sensei's discourses etc etc etc. (Well, if Dan Brown can do it, so can I. )

Best wishes,

PAG

Quote:
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the quick response.Nice to know you are well.
Reading all the names being mentioned is quite a sentimental journey for me.Maybe we should all hire a venue and do the Aikido equivalent of a 60's Pop revival?British Aikido has done more splits than a Chinese contortionist over the last 40 years.Wonder how Aikido would have been if we had all stuck together?Still, no harm in musing .Recently had a joint course with the U.K.A/Komyokan/ B.A.F.Went quite well.Good time had by all and the social side was fine.
Read your OSensei article.Well researched.I bet your fingers were aching after typing out the manuscript on the old laptop.
Cheers, Joe.

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #34
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello again, Joe,

As for the splits within British Aikido, you should see the situation in Japan. Even in Hiroshima City alone, there are four different organizations affiliated to the Aikikai, plus all the others related to Yoshinkan, Ki Society etc. People think of aikido as harmony etc, but when you read the life of O Sensei and his teachers, you realize that it was never like that.

How are you spending your retirement? As you have gathered, I am writing history, but there is one other project that I am actively planning. This is an aikido murder thriller, on the lines of the Name of the Rose. Imagine the scene. A major residential training course, with Doshu and other high-ranking senseis. And then gruesomely murdered corpses are found in various locations and popular suspicion is leveled at some visitors from MMA, who really think that aikido is useless as a martial art anyway, because the attacks are not realistic enough. The problem is that the murders all follow a pattern, which would be completely unknown to MMA people unless they had read O Sensei's discourses etc etc etc. (Well, if Dan Brown can do it, so can I. )

Best wishes,

PAG
Dear Peter,
I guess harmony can be translated into 'Lets jumpm this ship and start up our own little sideshow.Ill be Chief Instructor , you be Chief bottle washer.
As far as your novel is concerned if you use characters loosely based on some guys I know I could foresee a situation where the murdered guys were despatched to Nirvana in excruciating, long lingering deaths.May I suggest cyanide, dismemberment with blunt katana, and being forcibly killed by the wonderful practice of tying one;s knees together circa 1977.
Should this Dan Brown type novel sell in millions and in turn becomes a vehicle for Tom Hanks I am willing to forgo any royalties for my contribution to the story, as long as I have the pleasure of being the killer.As I am retired I can brush down my slightly tatty Butler outfit and enter rehearsals at a moments notice.
As possible co producer of said movie I will of course advise on casting.This should not cost you anything in fees since the actors /preferably real ,would in truth meet a grisly end thus saving millions.
This is perhaps wishful thinking on my part???
Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #35
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi Joe

Don't forget Michael Narey who was also at the 50 years of Aikido bash in Crystal Palace.

I'm sure he'll have been involved with you wild young things in the 60's.

Regards

D
Hi All,
As I stated in a earlier thread I could possibly remember other names of aikidoka who might qualify as early Aikido pioneers.These names come to mind.Pat Stratford, Eddie Stratton , Tony Drinkwater Senseis. Stratford Sensei I believe did Yoshinkan, Stratton Sensei , founder? of Shudokan, and Tony [from Manchester] was active around the 60s /70s with Aikikai of Gt Britain.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #36
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Hi Joe,

Pat Stratford is still around in Coventry but i'm pretty sure he's traditional as he was Tom Moss's first teacher. Some other names from the 70's might also be Ken Knapper, Frank McCall and Jim McCall as they all started a club along with Tom in 1970 or thereabouts.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #37
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello Joe,

My understanding is that Mr Stratton trained Yoshinkan, but Pat Stratford learned from Tanaka Shigeho, who used to teach at the dojo attached to the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo, but received his dan ranks from Ueshiba Morihei and Kisshomaru Doshu.

When I first started aikido at Sussex University, my teacher Tao Norio affliated our club with Mr Stratford. When Tao returned to Japan, the club came under the direction of Chiba Sensei's students and eventually Chiba Sensei himself used to teach there.

Mr Tao and I are still good friends and we occasionally.

Best wishes,

PAG

Quote:
Hi All,
As I stated in a earlier thread I could possibly remember other names of aikidoka who might qualify as early Aikido pioneers.These names come to mind.Pat Stratford, Eddie Stratton , Tony Drinkwater Senseis. Stratford Sensei I believe did Yoshinkan, Stratton Sensei , founder? of Shudokan, and Tony [from Manchester] was active around the 60s /70s with Aikikai of Gt Britain.
Cheers, Joe.

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 AM   #38
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Edit:

Mr Tao and I are good friends and we occasionally meet for a talk over dinner.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #39
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Joe Curran !!!

Hi Joe
I would like to add your name as you are too modest to do it youself :-) I have a photo of you on my www.British-Aikido.com photo gallery training as as dan grade Judoka with Abbe Sensei himself.
John Burn
Hi John
I am trying to find out more on Ken Webster ( or Webber ) I stayed at his home when teaching in Conventry. I will get back to you if I can engage my memory cells :-(
Henry
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #40
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Dear Henry,
I do appreciate your kind gesture.The photos of Gerry Mc Enroe and my ex Judo colleagues bring back memories of time spent with Abbe Sensei.He was a remarkable Judoka/Budoka.Around about the time the aforementioned pics were taken Abbe Sensei conducted a show in the St.Mungos Hall, in Gllasgow.Abbe Sensei lined up a group of Judoka [some big guys ] and flipped over without breaking sweat ii minutes.I think he bounced each man with a different technique.Abbe Sensei was very fluid in his movement, no jigotai [defense ] posture for him.Only man I ever thought was fluid like Abbe Sensei was Kisaburo Watanabe Sensei, , Asia Games champion in the early sixties.He was /is a delight to observe.I believe he is still alive .Watanabe Senseis Tai Otoshi /Tai otoshi renraku waza were wonderful to see.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #41
James Wyatt
Dojo: Budokwai
United Kingdom

London. The start of Tomiki Aikido with Sensei John Cornish.

Henry Ellis

Actually John Cornish is aikikai and in his words "once aikikai always aikikai" as he was graded by O'Sensei. He was taught by Tomiki Sensei at the Kodokan and instructed in the judo katas and later wrote a book with their permission on Goshin Ju Jutsu.

Watanabe Sensei popped into the Budokwai recently to visit old friends (John Cornish and Tony Sweeney) and give a lesson.

I will create a new post, but John Cornish has just announced his imminent retirement having started boxing and judo under the late great Trevor Leggett around 1950-52.

All the best

James
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #42
Tommo

Dojo: Kokoro Kai,
Scotland

These men might qualify.
Pat Butler , Trevor Jones, Billy Coyle.Tom Pierce Tom Pickering . Stuart Appleby.Ron Myers.Lee Crow.John Hamilton.
In the 70s:George Girvan .Matt Holland, Arthur Lockyear.Dee Chen , .Peter Brady. Mick Holloway Bill Smith Terry Ezra.Paul Smith;John Emmerson.Keith Hayward.Eric Beake;Bob Lincoln.Tony Cassells . Chris Mooney. Alan Rowley,Ian McClarence.Alan Ruddock.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #43
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tom Parris wrote: View Post
These men might qualify.
Pat Butler , Trevor Jones, Billy Coyle.Tom Pierce Tom Pickering . Stuart Appleby.Ron Myers.Lee Crow.John Hamilton.
In the 70s:George Girvan .Matt Holland, Arthur Lockyear.Dee Chen , .Peter Brady. Mick Holloway Bill Smith Terry Ezra.Paul Smith;John Emmerson.Keith Hayward.Eric Beake;Bob Lincoln.Tony Cassells . Chris Mooney. Alan Rowley,Ian McClarence.Alan Ruddock.
You could add Matt Tennant in there with the Scots side too. I believe he is still teaching too. An excellent Aikidoka