Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 16, 2003:

Do you think aikido would be a "better" art if it concentrated on less attacks and techniques?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Michael Neal
I say no but because I am not exactly sure what the question is asking. There are some attacks and techniques that I would not mind to see go but at the same time there are other things that should be brought in.

I actually think we need to focuse on more types of attacks like boxer punches, takedowns, and grappling in order to remain competitive in the martial arts arena.

The fact is that in the west, people often use these attacks frequently and Aikido does not really address them.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela
a "better" art?? , better on what basis?

I do think that Aikido "Teaching" definitly should be more concentrated on Principles rather than techniques.

This on my opinion would produce more effective aikidoca in the long run.

Based on this I would say YES.

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 03-16-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
But if the techniques teach principles?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
jk
Semantics rears its ugly head again...

Depends on what's meant by "better." If you mean turning out more "effective" martial artists in a shorter time span, then you might be better off simplifying and modifying the curriculum...failing that, you send your students to repeated Jon Bluming seminars :

http://www.bujindesign.com/newslette.../review6.shtml

Otherwise, aikido, whatever your particular flavor, is largely fine the way it is (but then what the hell do I know).

Regards,
Old 03-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
Edward
Thailand
I voted no. And actually I am for reviving old Daito-ryu techniques and other aikido techniques which were neglected through the years and including them back in the teaching program. Talks about aikido's efficiency are totally meaningless to me.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #7
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Smile

I think an appropriate Aikido practice gives the opportunity of develop defensive actions for different kinds of attacks.

In real life, sometimes we don't get in situations in which we have to deal with attacks just as we practice in the Dojo. What we should keep in mind is that the continuous practice of "basic attack" techniques helps you to create a lot of possibilities.

The most important fact is that with Aikido you can create so many movements that almost any attack can be solved. Aikido is not static an art, that is why I answered no.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 03-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
Mona
I voted no and second Edward's opinion, and think it would be better if we reimported a few aikijutsu techniques: Sensei has taught us a couple of them and I found them particularly effective.

blessings,

~ Mona
Old 03-20-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
Scott Berg
Dojo: Aikido of Alamo
Quote:
Mona Bassil (Mona) wrote:
I voted no and second Edward's opinion, and think it would be better if we reimported a few aikijutsu techniques: Sensei has taught us a couple of them and I found them particularly effective.
I think effectiveness is based on premise not technique. When an Aikidoist preforms " technique" they are no longer preforming Aikido.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #10
Hagen Seibert
Dojo: Kamai
Germany
No - rather add more (realistic and non-cooperative) attacks

and

Yes - skip a bunch of silly techniques.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #11
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
But if the techniques teach principles?
I certainly you're right about that "IF" Peter .

But i like to think that technique evolves from applied principles , technique as refined principle.

So it seems to me sometimes , that overlooking the principles and stressing only "proper" techniques , just will result on weak , innefective aikidoca because the later is restricted to very particular conditions and the former is more general in scope.

I only say this out of my personal experience on teaching and learning.

Hope it makes some sense.

Best of luck on your training.

"Perfection is a Process"