Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2004, 09:11 AM   #1
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Talking HERO: The movie !!

I know it's not japanese or aikido... but WOW !!

GOOD MOVIE!

TWO THUIMBS UP!

GO SEE IT!

Okay, I'll calm down now.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Re: HERO: The movie !!

This movie is total communist propaganda. Beijing has a heavy influence on the story line and historical facts. The Martial Arts in it were great. I saw it in Taiwan over a year ago.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
tony cameron

hi john,
check out Riding Giants too if you get a chance. it's the surf documentary about big wave riders by stacey peralta. it really puts you into heavy introspective zen thinking mode if i trained as much as those guys surf... ok, that's it, i'm moving to hawaii!

tony
Old 08-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Jerry Miller

United_States
Cool Re: HERO: The movie !!

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:

GOOD MOVIE!

TWO THUIMBS UP!

GO SEE IT!

I can't wait to see it. I love martial arts movies. I am easily entertained however.

Jerry Miller
Old 08-29-2004, 01:29 AM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:

GOOD MOVIE!

TWO THUIMBS UP!

GO SEE IT!

I absolutely loved it. There wasn't a scene in there that didn't look like a pictorial masterpiece. The way the story kept changing as more information was added reminded me of Rashoman. I can't speak highly enough of this movie.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-29-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Drug a little in the beginning but a really good movie. Great special effects. I think those who have not seen Chinese movies or understand how they present their points of view may not like it as well as those of us who are martial artists. The lake scene was absolutely beautiful.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I loved the use of colour. So beautiful. Dragged in parts but then I'm an MTV uchi deshi.

Ryan, I'd like to know how it was inaccurate/ propaganda, as I'm very ignorant of Chinese history/politics?

Mark
x
Old 08-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #8
paw

Hero was released in 2002 and was China's entry into the "Best Foreign Film" catagory for the Academy Awards. I saw it then, and now. This "new" version had additional footage, setting the story and ending the story that I didn't recall....most likely so the American audiences would have a reference point.

I enjoyed the movie a great deal and highly recommend it.

Regards,

Paul
Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #9
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I just saw it a couple hours ago. It was excellent....breathtakingly beautiful and the sword work was so cool! I highly recommend it!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 08-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #10
spin13
Japan

Quote:
Hero was released in 2002 and was China's entry into the "Best Foreign Film" catagory for the Academy Awards. I saw it then, and now. This "new" version had additional footage, setting the story and ending the story that I didn't recall....most likely so the American audiences would have a reference point.
I'm an avid fan of the original Chinese version and own it on DVD. I had no idea the new release had new footage - I was under the impression that Miramax was just putzing around instead of actually doing anything useful. Anyhow, how much was changed? Was it just additional footage or were parts deleted and switched around as well? The previews make it sound like a somewhat different story, so I'm curious if they actually did enough to change the plot. I wasn't planning on spending $10 to see it for the Nth time, but if there's some considerable differences, it might be worth it on the big screen.

-Eric
Old 08-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #11
Dancing Heron
Dojo: Aikidoschool Tendo Maastricht

Very nice movie, although I'm not such a big fan of the whole 'air surfin' martial arts genre. I prefer reality instead of those high jumps and avoiding arrows things. I gotta admit some scenes where very impressing, though. I also liked the props and sets very much. Really nice work.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Ryan Bertram wrote:
This movie is total communist propaganda.
I only saw the old version, not this one but I have severe problems with seeing anything like communist propaganda in it. But it is preaching loyalty to the regime... The Chinese regime does not give me so good vibes (remember Tienanmen Square) and the message in the film felt a bit weird. Not quite what you'd expect from Zhang Yimou.

I have been told that this is an ancient story, and it has often been used for political purposes.

In fact, I did not like it that much. Yes, it was very beautiful, but it was too much flying around in the air for my taste.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:57 AM   #13
paw

Quote:
Eric Spinelli wrote:
I had no idea the new release had new footage - I was under the impression that Miramax was just putzing around instead of actually doing anything useful. Anyhow, how much was changed? Was it just additional footage or were parts deleted and switched around as well?
I also have Hero on dvd, so I understand your concerns. I don't want to go into detail and ruin it for folks that haven't seen the movie yet, but I can say:

A few frames are added right at the start to set the stage, basically what would be a "voice over" but the words are on the screen and not spoken. After the final procession, there is something similar to serve as an epilogue.

This was all new footage and nothing was deleted that I noticed. Bottom line, I'd encourage you to see it on the big screen. I did and don't regret it at all.

Quote:
Hanna wrote:
I have been told that this is an ancient story, and it has often been used for political purposes.
I think "The Emperor and the Assassin" (Jing ke ci qin wang (1999)), also tells this story. You could see if that film is more to your liking.

Regards,

Paul
Old 08-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #14
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States

Without ruining the movie for those who haven't seen it I will just say that the "One China" thing seems to have crept in there. Even when your leader is evil and wrong then he is still right, because he is your leader. I have not seen the new release.. I saw the one released in Taiwan 2 years ago. Actually If you go in to china and spend a month or so there (outside of Shanghai) it is much easier to see what I mean.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 AM   #15
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Very beautiful movie. Allmost fell aslep twice though. A bit 'long' for my taste but really beautiful. I also allways get a litlle disapointed when I see chinese MA movies like HERO. Beautifully choreographed yet just a little bit too unbeliaveble. I much prefer what jet Li does in Lethal Weapons 4. Within the laws of physics...

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #16
frivolouspig
Canada

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote:
Very beautiful movie. Allmost fell aslep twice though. A bit 'long' for my taste but really beautiful. I also allways get a litlle disapointed when I see chinese MA movies like HERO. Beautifully choreographed yet just a little bit too unbeliaveble. I much prefer what jet Li does in Lethal Weapons 4. Within the laws of physics...
I agree, just once I'd like to see a nice martal arts movie without any special effects where they fly through the air or walk on water.

reminds me of this pepsi ad

Last edited by frivolouspig : 08-30-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #17
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu

Visually stunning movie. But the two ladies behind me were befuddled by 'having to' read subtitles. Then one of then said, "Is that a dimple on his nose?" "Maybe he had an accident learning to eat with a fork," the other said.

From then on, everytime they showed Jet Li in close up, all I could see was the pock mark on his nose. Argghhhhh!

dave stokes
Old 08-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #18
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

WASN'T EXPECTING TO SEE THAT.

If you you're using yor computer at work (say... I dont know... at a children's activity centre where you wish to remain employed) do not click on the Pepsi Ad link. In the comfort of your own home...well that's your choice.

Just a freindly heads up (oops bad word choice).

Mark
x
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #19
frivolouspig
Canada

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
WASN'T EXPECTING TO SEE THAT.

If you you're using yor computer at work (say... I dont know... at a children's activity centre where you wish to remain employed) do not click on the Pepsi Ad link. In the comfort of your own home...well that's your choice.

Just a freindly heads up (oops bad word choice).

Mark
x
????? i see 2 guys fighting what did you see??

OH yeah don't click on that link anymore , I guess they didn't like me linking to there video without showing there website so they changed it so if you click the link you go to there site

videodump.com/videos/new/pepsiad.wmv if you copy and paist the full address in your browser (and add www. to the front) it should work fine but DON'T CLICK THE LINK if your at work cause the site is definaltly NSFW (but the video is) sorry guys but I can't seem to edit my old post anymore to remove the direct link

Last edited by frivolouspig : 08-30-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #20
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Quote:
Very nice movie, although I'm not such a big fan of the whole 'air surfin' martial arts genre. I prefer reality instead of those high jumps and avoiding arrows things. I gotta admit some scenes where very impressing, though. I also liked the props and sets very much. Really nice work.
Air Surfin! funny! what's wrong with dodging arrows? how do frogs catch flies in midair with their tongues? such limiting thoughts! hahahahha

can't wait to see it.

billybob
Old 10-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #21
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
The way the story kept changing as more information was added reminded me of Rashoman. I can't speak highly enough of this movie.
We saw this last night & I was thinking exactly the same thing as we left the theatre.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!