Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Chen Bing Clip

I disagree...I think William had no such serious intent what so ever.

I also disagree with your analysis of Chen Beng's performance being more "external" than "internal". But that is simply based on what I saw on the clip...it's not like I was there to feel it myself.

Best,
Ron
Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
William's selection of Grandmaster Hyang shows a "compare and contrast".

Chen Beng is a "young man" with good foundation. But, obviously, he is using "external" more than "internal" energy. His use of "noise" and sound energy indicate a desire to impress his audience to what "they can relate to and understand".

In Hyang's tape we see the same "softness" as in "Mochida 10th dan Kendo, and in O"sensei. Pure sensitivity to energy and the direction of energy rather than external (muscular) energy.

The objective is to use the "sligtest" amount of energy to accomplish incredible results. It's not what you "see" it's what you don't see.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
DH
United_States

Well in keeping with my standard line
Watch the uke-not the teacher. It's all about the level of attack.

In Bings case the grappler was well versed, but still looked a bit stiff or "holding back" to me. Turns out he was it was just a demo. And a damn good one at that.

Hyang's ukes were not doing anything much but offering up direct force. Where I may disagree with some who criticize what they saw; The bounce, and double bounce? I have done it and had it done to me. WIth simple force coming back at you rapidly, you sometimes can't get your feet under you and the energy is still sending you back. When you land, you try to stay on your feet but the energy is still going back so you bounce again. It looks fake until you try to re-create it on your own, then you see yourself "launching" with your legs. Most guys who have played with internal have experienced it. Another aspect is the rapid feet going back. A more interesting way to look at it-is with that much energy going backward or "in" to the guy-apply that depth of energy to a focused punch.
What is important is to recognize its only a voluntary demo.
Were his students to be more engaged and absorbing and redirecting themselves it would not look nearly as dramatic-at all-but the power would still be the same.
So where Hyang's demo doesn't have the same credibility they are both none-the-less internal in nature. How on earth you would think Bings moves are external is beyond me. To use the admonition that you can "see it" is simply ridiculous. Just because you can see it, does not make it externally driven. Having had a 70 yr old master level Taiji guy unload on me...ya, the power is real. Its what the uke does it with it. I didn't let it send me, I absorbed and redirected so it didn't look as dramatic. However, nothing can take away the fact that it was the most power I ever had to deal with.
I wasn't concerned with how it "looked"-at the time!

Last edited by DH : 08-25-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I also disagree with your analysis of Chen Beng's performance being more "external" than "internal". But that is simply based on what I saw on the clip...it's not like I was there to feel it myself.

Best,
Ron
Interesting...do you practice "push hands"? You may disagree, but, if you don't "internally practice" how do you know?

As for Chen Beng being "external". As long as you are alive and with a "body" you will exhibit "external" power through the muscles and sinews. You learn to become more and more efficient as your "external" body begins to die. You do so out of necessity. You do so at of wonder and awe. Certainly Chen Beng is much more advanced than the beginners he is dealing with. And Certainly, the intermediates are impressed "because the intermediates by popularity vote say he is good".

As such, developing "internal power" is a matter of "degree". It does not happen overnight. You begin with intent. You want to learn it. You hear rumors and you read about it. And then you get lucky. A teacher appears...

He opens the doors. But, that is all. It is up to you to go through the many doors that await you. As such, you discover, that the learning continues throughout your lifetime from your 20's. 30's 40's 50' and well into your 70's. Yet, the parameter is always "result".

If you can't take out the guy with the "slightist" of movements but he can do so with you...take lessons from him. I encourage you...

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #29
MM
United_States

Quote:
Interesting...do you practice "push hands"? You may disagree, but, if you don't "internally practice" how do you know?

As for Chen Beng being "external". As long as you are alive and with a "body" you will exhibit "external" power through the muscles and sinews. You learn to become more and more efficient as your "external" body begins to die. You do so out of necessity. You do so at of wonder and awe. Certainly Chen Beng is much more advanced than the beginners he is dealing with. And Certainly, the intermediates are impressed "because the intermediates by popularity vote say he is good".
Your "external" and "internal" definitions are extremely different than what quite a few of us here view it. Your definition and view are so at odds with what some of us have felt and experienced and trained that your definition and view is really quite simplistic and limited -- as far as conversation in this matter is concerned. Perhaps you have a better view/definition, I don't know. But the stuff you post hasn't shown that ... yet.

If you reread some of the threads dealing with our experiences with "internal" skills, I think you would come away with a much better idea of what we are talking about. It would help give you a frame of reference towards what we post. There's a baseline skillset thread here on Aikiweb. It's a good start.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #30
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Interesting...do you practice "push hands"?
What does that have to do with anything? I occationally get together with some friends and work in a similar format...I personally would not call it push hands. Something like the disciplined patterned practice I've seen from the Chen Taiji crowd I would consider more formal push hands. What I do is of low quality, and not at all formal. I think too many people go around saying "I do such and such", and too often they are people who have no clue of what "such and such" actually entails. Sign of the times, I guess.

Quote:
You may disagree, but, if you don't "internally practice" how do you know?
What makes you think I don't "internally practice"? "Practicing Internally" is not tied to "push hands". Though push hands is one method people use to move beyond the static postures sometimes associated with developing internal skill.

Quote:
It's statements like these that often turn me off to your writing style and commentary. I think I'll just bow out now. For what it's worth, popularity has nothing to do with MY opinions...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #31
tuturuhan
United_States

[quote=Mark Murray;214412]Your "external" and "internal" definitions are extremely different than what quite a few of us here view it. Your definition and view are so at odds with what some of us have felt and experienced and trained that your definition and view is really quite simplistic and limited -- as far as conversation in this matter is concerned. Perhaps you have a better view/definition, I don't know. But the stuff you post hasn't shown that ... yet.

/QUOTE]

Mark,

Four guys decide by popular opinion that they are going to build a house. They vote and agree as to the construction. None of them have ever built a house. They then tell the "contractor" with 45 years experience that he doesn't know what he is doing...

Perhaps, they do no more...

But, they should at least attempt to listen to someone who has practiced and taught martial arts for over 45 years. Especially when they are the majority of voices in the "popular vote".

Here is an example of "knocking the guy across the room". It was performed on a group of "preying mantis" gung fu guys in Rome, Italy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvwuw6ctjlo

I would certainly like to see more than "words" in threads by someone like Dan or Mike, "knocking guys across the room". I say so with due respect. I would be the first guy to learn from these guys if they could show me a "greater power".

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #32
DH
United_States

Hi Ron, Mark
What is more interesting for me is seeing you guys experience both scenarios with your training, then to see you start doing it; where your power bounces up or down (I know ts weird but power down can cause an up bounce as well) or drives people down, and then you start using it in a more of a grappling or live interchange where you can be light to heavy, sticky or driving and throwing. Then....I want to yak with you fellas about discoveries you've made!!

I found out -thanks to Josh- that the other video I posted of Mike G. He is a student of.........Chen Bing! and Chen Xiawang. Small world.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #33
DH
United_States

[quote=Joseph Arriola;214414]
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Your "external" and "internal" definitions are extremely different than what quite a few of us here view it. Your definition and view are so at odds with what some of us have felt and experienced and trained that your definition and view is really quite simplistic and limited -- as far as conversation in this matter is concerned. Perhaps you have a better view/definition, I don't know. But the stuff you post hasn't shown that ... yet.

/QUOTE]

Mark,

Four guys decide by popular opinion that they are going to build a house. They vote and agree as to the construction. None of them have ever built a house. They then tell the "contractor" with 45 years experience that he doesn't know what he is doing...

Perhaps, they do no more...

But, they should at least attempt to listen to someone who has practiced and taught martial arts for over 45 years. Especially when they are the majority of voices in the "popular vote".

Here is an example of "knocking the guy across the room". It was performed on a group of "preying mantis" gung fu guys in Rome, Italy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvwuw6ctjlo

I would certainly like to see more than "words" in threads by someone like Dan or Mike, "knocking guys across the room". I say so with due respect. I would be the first guy to learn from these guys if they could show me a "greater power".
Well I know any number of people who can do what that guy did in that video. He stepped out and pushed, with allot of slack in the body-the structure was not there so much of his energy was dissipated in himself- and pushed mostly with his upper body forward The mechanic is like a boxers weight transfer to one side (0.18 sec).He rebounds off the guy (at .25 sec) The effect on the uke was typical of the reaction of an external push. It isn't the same. You can also do it with more of a wave mechanic-that you see discussed in some quasi-aiki arts. Its more subtle and disruptive but isn't internal either.
I am sure the guy thinks he is doing an internal art though, not my problem.
Of further interest was watching his feet through the weight transfers. It is quite telling in many places. Two quick ones; his weight caused him to go up on the outside of his left foot twice while rocking-(55-58 sec and again at 1:02 and 1:09) ouch! And the push... pull back by the arm caused him to go up on his toes while pulling back (48sec). His weights in his toes at (59 sec).
He's a mess structurally against the loads presented.
These are indications of a lack- of first step structural stability and how to carry the weight. Steps that the body then begins to do more beginner level work with, til they reach an intermediate level.
I'd not argue the guy may have martial skills. No problem. I just don't see anything internal. Who is he?
As far as the 45 yrs of experience go. Two things.
a) You're talking to one with 40.
b) It doesn't mean either one of us knows everything about everything.

I am mindful that there is much to learn and I remain open till it is discounted. Thus I am narrowing the sources through the reduction of negatives.

Last edited by DH : 08-25-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #34
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Interesting, we see a thread where the person under discussion even has his name in the title, and you do what? You post some non-pertinent clip of someone else?
My Box is larger than yours apparently...

Quote:
That's not devil's advocate, that's just a non-sequitor...
See my above comment

Quote:
Any comments on the subject at hand?
had you read the thread You would see I did comment on the Video...I also happened to see an opportunity to "contrast and compare" A whole thread was devoted to Abe's Sensei's filmed "internal dynamic" and When I saw this particular Grandmaster it stood out in perfect context and thus proves my point.

Quote:
I found the clip unusual because you see someone stepping up in a way must of us do not. Seminar or not, seeing free play application of the skills in question is quite refreshing. Especially with someone well trained in grappling

Best,
Ron
We agree there....and I think I have made my point with regard to You Tube as well. Sorry you "took it" wrong Ron. My post was an excellent way for me to see where folks actual biases are in context. Abe Sensei got HAMMERED for showing much the same thing...

Again if it were not for these biases we might actually learn allot more from each other since there is a silver thread of unity that binds us all together...

We are all on the same path up the mountain.

William Hazen

Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #35
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Well, for those of the open mind, can you *do* "sticky" connection? It's easy enough to be an Internet armchair master, but being able to *do* in the real world is the deciding factor. Can you *do* everything you define so easily from the computer screen?
Tegatana makes no sense for training UNLESS you can do or are working toward "sticky" with your hands, arms or other parts -- same as with a blade. On the other hand ( ) I stick well enough that ikkyo, nikkyo, kotegaeshi and shihonage, kaitennage may be done with the hand-heel, wrist or forearm connection not necessarily requiring use of any grip by my hands -- and of course whatever is being called kokyunage on a given day.
Sankyo, yonkyo -- still gotta grip -- but that is sorta definitional -- unless you count a straight transition to the sankyo osae, but that cheats the technique and is really hard to meaningfully distinguish from a close kaiten where you brace with the body instead of gripping the arms, and go for the drop pin instead of the throw. Uke needs fair warning on that though, otherwise its fairly short and sharp.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #36
tuturuhan
United_States

[quote=Dan Harden;214416]
Quote:

Well I know any number of people who can do what that guy did in that video. He stepped out and pushed, with allot of slack in the body-the structure was not there so much of his energy was dissipated in himself- and pushed mostly with his upper body forward The mechanic is like a boxers weight transfer to one side (0.18 sec).He rebounds off the guy (at .25 sec) The effect on the uke was typical of the reaction of an external push. It isn't the same. You can also do it with more of a wave mechanic-that you see discussed in some quasi-aiki arts. Its more subtle and disruptive but isn't internal either.
I am sure the guy thinks he is doing an internal art though, not my problem.
Well, Dan, I'm the guy. But, then you know that.
Now, show us your videos. Certainly, from your comments I can tell you "can't see". Of course, with your line of thinking, you won't because "you can't really tell unless you feel it".

Hmmm...so how can you judge me under your parameter of "you can't really tell unless you feel it...so I don't put up video".

Better, show me a few of your students that can "knock people across the room".

My name is Joe by the way. If you are ever in the SF Bay Area I'll let you teach a class.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #37
DH
United_States

[quote=Joseph Arriola;214419]
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post

Well, Dan, I'm the guy. But, then you know that.
Now, show us your videos. Certainly, from your comments I can tell you "can't see". Of course, with your line of thinking, you won't because "you can't really tell unless you feel it".

Hmmm...so how can you judge me under your parameter of "you can't really tell unless you feel it...so I don't put up video".

Better, show me a few of your students that can "knock people across the room".

My name is Joe by the way. If you are ever in the SF Bay Area I'll let you teach a class.
Oops..no I didn't! I don't know you or have ever seen you before.
And Joe, Had I known. I wouldn't have commented.
I thought you were comparing your teacher or someone you knew to the ones posted
I'm not interested in showing videos. I think I suck and would never presume to be teaching someone. I share the little I know with interested folks.
Then again I think most people teaching...shouldn't be either.
If I ever make it to S.F. I will look you up so we can play. I love sticks. I might be using them differently then what you'de expect as internal power works there as well. So that will be fun to experiment with.

Last edited by DH : 08-25-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #38
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
The mechanic is like .. (0.18 sec).He rebounds off the guy (at .25 sec) The effect ... typical of the reaction ... a wave mechanic-that .. subtle and disruptive but isn't internal either. (55-58 sec and again at 1:02 and 1:09) ouch! And the push... pull back by the arm caused him to go up on his toes while pulling back (48sec). His weights in his toes at (59 sec).
You seem to be picking up some of those icky mechanical analysis habits from somewhere. "Lie down with dogs, ..." eh? But that is merely negative. Care to lay out the affirmative distinctions in your own clip, with the accompanying analysis? You sure did a good job on his.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 08-25-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #39
DH
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
You seem to be picking up some of those icky mechanical analysis habits from somewhere. Lie down with dogs, eh? But that is merely negative. Care to lay out the affirmative distinctions in your own clip, with the accompanying analysis? You sure did a good job on his.
Aren't you the one teaching by physics? Now if you only could do what you try to analyze we'd be golden. Try taking a stab at what's wrong with Josephs movement and how to correct it without using a single scientific word or phrase. I now a few guys who can actually do these things-rank beginners from right here at aikiweb, who could do it at the drop of a hat. Give it whirl. I'll go get the popcorn started
Since your teacher is now telling me what I am doing wrong on the net, I'm open. I bow to my superiors. I'd like to help you and your teacher try... and help correct me. There are some people who will fly down for this.
Have you talked with your teacher yet?

Last edited by DH : 08-25-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #40
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
I'm open. I bow to my superiors. I'd like to help you and your teacher try... and help correct me. There are some people who will fly down for this.
Have you talked with your teacher yet?
I'm ready to learn from you. Please come...bring your video so we can analyze frame for frame "how I can knock the guy across the room like you do".

How old are you by the way? Can you tell me a bit about your occupation? Your success as a father and husband? Money in the bank? I'm just curious do you believe mastery in life speaks of mastery in the martial arts?

This is Joe, by the way.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #41
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hi William,

I'm sorry, I still don't see the connection. I don't presume to know your box, I can barely keep track of my own. The Abe Sensei discussion was quite valuable for me...but I don't see the connection between that and what we see in the initial clip posted here.

If you remember, I was quite impressed by Abe Sensei...in person. Not so much on the clip (please understand it's context) that started that whole thread.

Have I read *which* thread? I've read and contributed to both this one, and the Abe Sensei thread. Maybe there is a third one I am unaware of?

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 08-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 08-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #42
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
How old are you by the way?
Non-sequitor

Quote:
Can you tell me a bit about your occupation?
Non-sequitor

Quote:
Your success as a father and husband?
Non-sequitor

Quote:
Money in the bank?
Non-sequitor

Quote:
I'm just curious do you believe mastery in life speaks of mastery in the martial arts?
I'm sure a new thread would handle these questions quite well...I'm equally sure from my knowledge of Dan that he would measure up just fine in anyone's book. Not that it has one whit to do with any of *this* conversation.

Best,
Ron (sigh)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #43
DH
United_States

Quote:
I'm ready to learn from you. Please come...bring your video so we can analyze frame for frame "how I can knock the guy across the room like you do".

How old are you by the way? Can you tell me a bit about your occupation? Your success as a father and husband? Money in the bank? I'm just curious do you believe mastery in life speaks of mastery in the martial arts?

This is Joe, by the way.
If I ever head out that way I might give ya a call before. I've no issues with you at all.
Do I think Mastery of life equates with mastery of martal arts? No.
In fact, I think its ridiculous. I do very well thank you, I've been married for decades and I still "like" my wife and want to hang out with her, just got back from kayaking with the wife and kid. Though the economy is killing my particular business rght now I have enjoyed some measurable success here and there, and wheathered some hard times.
Of secondary concerns to a persons success would be the pursuit of material things, to relational things. How do you equate a scumbag defense lawyer, who is highly successful, who has 3 divorces and kids who hate him, with a prosecture with 4 kids and a wife with M.S. who is poor and they all love him dearly?
OR...most all of the amazing incredible martial artists from China and Japan who were poor by focusing on their arts or by happentance of war, economy, or a "cultural revolution" beyond their control?
It appears I measure a man by far different means.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #44
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Well, for those of the open mind, can you *do* "sticky" connection? It's easy enough to be an Internet armchair master, but being able to *do* in the real world is the deciding factor. Can you *do* everything you define so easily from the computer screen?
I guess we'll see someday.

I think we do "sticky" very well.

William Hazen

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #45
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Hi William,

I'm sorry, I still don't see the connection. I don't presume to know your box, I can barely keep track of my own. The Abe Sensei discussion was quite valuable for me...but I don't see the connection between that and what we see in the initial clip posted here.
There was not meant to be a connection between those clips but between the Abe one and the one I posted. But I have already said as much in my prior post.

Quote:
If you remember, I was quite impressed by Abe Sensei...in person. Not so much on the clip (please understand it's context) that started that whole thread.

Have I read *which* thread? I've read and contributed to both this one, and the Abe Sensei thread. Maybe there is a third one I am unaware of?

Best,
Ron
Hopefully I put you back on track. In the mean time I'll just enjoy reading about which blind man feels his part of the elephant is better and why.

William Hazen

Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #46
Ron Tisdale
United_States

There IS no elephant.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
If I ever head out that way I might give ya a call before. I've no issues with you at all.
Do I think Mastery of life equates with mastery of martal arts? No.
In fact, I think its ridiculous. I do very well thank you, I've been married for decades and I still "like" my wife and want to hang out with her, just got back from kayaking with the wife and kid. Though the economy is killing my particular business rght now I have enjoyed some measurable success here and there, and wheathered some hard times.
Of secondary concerns to a persons success would be the pursuit of material things, to relational things. How do you equate a scumbag defense lawyer, who is highly successful, who has 3 divorces and kids who hate him, with a prosecture with 4 kids and a wife with M.S. who is poor and they all love him dearly?
OR...most all of the amazing incredible martial artists from China and Japan who were poor by focusing on their arts or by happentance of war, economy, or a "cultural revolution" beyond their control?
It appears I measure a man by far different means.
Well, I"m sure you know that I have been a lawyer for 28 years. I started college at 15 and went to the University of California, Berkeley and then to UC Hastings College of the Law. Of course, I went not for the school but to hopefully take lessons from Bruce Lee. I missed him by one year in 1973.

I've written several articles for Inside Kung Fu and Black Belt Magazines and their sister publications. And I've taught seminars around the world. My wife is a domestic violence attorney and a knife fighter in her own right. I am most proud of my two girls. We home school them. And of course, I have a bit of respect in my community.

Obviously, Dan, we come to martial arts and to life from completely differing views. I believe Qi is "the life force" and that the more you have it and can harmonize it, the more prosperous and happy you will be. I believe that everybody has "Qi". It's just that most people don't attempt hard enough to hone their skills. Yet, I believe that those who do, can look forward to learning well into their 80's. As such, I give greater credence to those "oldsters" who can still take out the 20 and 30 somethings.

Again, if you don't mind me asking "how old are you?"

Yes, please give me a call, I would certainly delight in you teaching a class. In fact, I will invite some of the local "masters".

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #48
DH
United_States

Quote:
Well, I"m sure you know that I have been a lawyer for 28 years. I started college at 15 and went to the University of California, Berkeley and then to UC Hastings College of the Law. Of course, I went not for the school but to hopefully take lessons from Bruce Lee. I missed him by one year in 1973.

I've written several articles for Inside Kung Fu and Black Belt Magazines and their sister publications. And I've taught seminars around the world. My wife is a domestic violence attorney and a knife fighter in her own right. I am most proud of my two girls. We home school them. And of course, I have a bit of respect in my community.

Obviously, Dan, we come to martial arts and to life from completely differing views. I believe Qi is "the life force" and that the more you have it and can harmonize it, the more prosperous and happy you will be. I believe that everybody has "Qi". It's just that most people don't attempt hard enough to hone their skills. Yet, I believe that those who do, can look forward to learning well into their 80's. As such, I give greater credence to those "oldsters" who can still take out the 20 and 30 somethings.
Again, if you don't mind me asking "how old are you?"

Yes, please give me a call, I would certainly delight in you teaching a class. In fact, I will invite some of the local "masters".
Sorry Joe
I find no credible logic to your post. Particularly in light of the lives of so many truly outstanding martial artists in history who would be discounted by your own measuring stick.
How does any of this relate to the thread?
I've seen nothing exhibited now in video or in writing that would (if qualifications have to be presented) give either you or Erick a ticket to enter the building-much less be given the floor to discuss the subject.
Vocation, interests, pedagogy, name dropping, science as a hobby, family history and bank accounts aside-Is there something else to offer?

Last edited by DH : 08-25-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #49
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Sorry Joe
I find no credible logic to your post. Particularly in light of the lives of so many truly outstanding martial artists in history who would be discounted by your own measuring stick.
How does any of this relate to the thread?
I've seen nothing exhibited now in video or in writing that would (if qualifications have to be presented) give either you or Erick a ticket to enter the building-much less be given the floor to discuss the subject.
Vocation, interests, pedagogy, name dropping, science as a hobby, family history and bank accounts aside-Is there something else to offer?
Sorry Dan, Well when you practice another 15 years maybe you will see it. I'm also sorry you can't answer the simple question about your age.

Don't feel too insecure about your lack of achievements. There is always time until it is too late.

As for something else to offer, try listening to Eric a bit more. Being a pilot and a professional, I think he has a few more educated answers that you might appreciate. I certainly am open minded.

By the way, my name is Joe. I think the other guys you attempt to ignore should also remind you about their names. It's called respect and courtesy.

Best,
Joe

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Don't feel too insecure about your lack of achievements.
Oh boy. In my best Ronald Reagan voice...

There you go again...

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Closed Thread