Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Advice on Schools of Aikido

Greetings All,

I have a query about the various schools of Aikido and the syllabus they teach from.

I have done some checking around with the various Aikido places around my city and it seems to be that the following groups are represented. I gather that some groups are independent but still graded with the Aikikai according to their websites,

Aikikai,
Ki Society
Yoshinkan Aikido
Aikido Kenkyukai International (Affiliated to AIkikai)
Traditional Aikido Australia (Affiliated to Aikikai)

I guess what I am wondering is how they are different from each other and if they have a different area of focus in terms of how Aikido is taught? I am not asking you to grade one as better than the other though as I realize that is open to personal interpretation and what suits one person may not suit another and so on.

The Ki Society and the Kenkyukai are the closest for me, so good options to try first, but I am very interested to hear from people that know of all these groups for what I might expect there and so on.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Advice on Schools of Aikido

In my opinion, I don't think any of the abstract differences between the styles would give you information that would help in deciding where to train. It's the concrete and substantial differences between the dojos that you need to look at. Don't "try" any of them. Call and ask to observe a class, and then do so -- at all of them. You won't understand much of what you see, but that's OK. Just observe the dojo, the training, how the students and sensei act before, during and after, and ask yourself if that -- what you see right in front of you, exactly that and nothing else -- is what you want to do. Double-check by asking the sensei or students afterwards if the class was typical, but chances are it will be. Then, make your decision based on this. Don't decide based on some abstract notion of what this style or that style "focuses on" -- look at what's right in front of your face. If that's not what you want to do, there's no way you'll ever get to this elusive "focus".
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

To add to what Mary has said, even a different teacher within the same dojo may give a totally different feeling, have a different approach, etc. which you may or may not find matching your personality better.

My personal bias: give David Scott at the Aikiai a call - I used to train under him about 15-20 years ago.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

For a general idea of the stylistic differences you can see a lot on youtube, but I agree with Mary and Andrew for where the real differences can be found.
Here's a quick, incomplete sampling of video:
Ki Society
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_v_bqq1aA
Yoshinkan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZFfFtMSh8
Aikido Kenkyukai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pqGHLrOlI0

Gambarimashyo!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

There wass a great informal aiki community down there (when i visited a while back) between many of the schools (a few are more exclusive though) so join one and your your joining them all in some senses

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Sojourner
Australia

Thank you! I admit that I am reading stuff from various sources and it does get confusing! Thank you all for the video's, links and advice it is very much appreciated!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
crbateman

Go.
See.
Feel.
Think.
Decide.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
dreamborn

Dojo: Aikikai Tanshinjuku/Lafayette, CO
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Don't "try" any of them. Call and ask to observe a class, and then do so -- at all of them. You won't understand much of what you see, but that's OK. Just observe the dojo, the training, how the students and sensei act before, during and after, and ask yourself if that -- what you see right in front of you, exactly that and nothing else -- is what you want to do. Double-check by asking the sensei or students afterwards if the class was typical, but chances are it will be. Then, make your decision based on this.
Excellent advice, this is what I did! Six years later still happy with my choice.

Kent

風柳 剣人
www.aikitsj.com
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Thank you! I admit that I am reading stuff from various sources and it does get confusing! Thank you all for the video's, links and advice it is very much appreciated!
I would not read 'too much' right for as you have noticed... it just gets confusing.

Start with how Mary suggested by contacting one teacher arrange to watch a class or even two (I watched over a weeks worth before I joined my dojo) and repeat this with as many dojo's as you are interested and then you be able to make the best decision for yourself with that experience and information. Perhaps prepare a short list of questions for anything you are curious about.

Be honest in your goals if asked by the teachers of these dojo's as it goes a long way towards them understanding what you are searching for and they will hopefully be equally honest in their responses if they have what you are looking for.

Going slightly beyond your question: even once you begin your training.. reading :stuff: on the internet can and will be confusing. Too many differences in vocabulary and 'conceptual' Aikido will leave you with more questions that you or your teacher may be prepared to answer. (I try to see what is similar more than what is different, common ground is always best.)

The key will be patience and remembering to just have fun with it. Learning curves and plateaus will happen and they are just part of the process.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
BJohnston
United_States

If you're lucky enough to have all styles available to you to observe that'd be great. I live in a part of the world where there aren't quite that many options. I was quite lucky to have been able to find a style that quite suits my desired approach to the art. Since joining my dojo I've been able to train with quite a few styles. Each style has a different approach and focus. Hopefully you can find something that suits your desired approach.

B
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

Try them all and pick the one that feels right for you.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Go.
See.
Feel.
Think.
Decide.
Re-Decide if necessary.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States

Aside form the various techniques, which will no doubt seem strange, pay attention to the overall "vibe" of the dojo. Are people smiling? Do they appear to be enjoying themselves, or are they laboring thorough one tedious exercise after another? What is the ratio of talking to practicing, etc...After all, it's supposed to be enjoyable and enriching, rather than just another chore at the end of the day. Osensei himself said that Aikido should be practiced in a joyous manner, just like any other art form.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Karl Arant wrote: View Post
Aside form the various techniques, which will no doubt seem strange, pay attention to the overall "vibe" of the dojo. Are people smiling? Do they appear to be enjoying themselves, or are they laboring thorough one tedious exercise after another? What is the ratio of talking to practicing, etc...After all, it's supposed to be enjoyable and enriching, rather than just another chore at the end of the day. Osensei himself said that Aikido should be practiced in a joyous manner, just like any other art form.
...although, speaking for myself, I have to say that the things that appeal to me now are not the things that would have appealed to me as a newbie. So, yeah, you do want to look to see if the people training seem happy (which doesn't necessarily mean goofy-smiling all the time), and not so much at what they're doing -- which, as Karl says, won't make sense and probably won't seem too enjoyable to you right now.