Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
aldie
Dojo: Kobujutsu Aikido Ryu
Philippines
Angry are you combat effective!

Are you combat effective!.. a point may come that you have to defend yourself.. can you be effective enough to survive an actual combat..
Old 05-12-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: are you combat effective!

I daresay that those of us who are not soldiers can hardly contemplate what 'combat' is. Those of us who have never been in any type of combat other than a street altercation cannot know what it is like to have bombs raining down and whistling all around. The study of Aikido helps to learn about vulnerability, and how to begin to let go of the mind that wants to fight. The study of ukemi is itself a study of vulnerability and dealing with vulnerability. O' Sensei taught about vulnerability, about keeping the force of Nature in mind. He also taught a peaceful way of practice. Yes, a point may come where you will have to defend yourself. You may have to defend yourself against some mind-numbing disease. Even here, the steadfast practice of Aikido has a place. Time and chance happen to us all. I personally have found that bowing, and focusing on breathing are just two of thousands of ways to face the unknown. In gassho
Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

am i combat effective?
err ... no ...
but I have a degree in "look .... whats that over there?" ... and a NVQ in ruunning away ...

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

one who turns and runs away........gets to keep on looking as good as i do

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 05-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

is tehre even a reply to that?

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
one who turns and runs away........gets to keep on looking as good as i do
Just how fast can you run?

And how good looking are you?

As for me...I'm well'ard! Not.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
Are you combat effective!.. a point may come that you have to defend yourself.. can you be effective enough to survive an actual combat..
I was and prabably still am, but hope I never have to find out again.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
After training in Aikido, it sure imporves my odds. The odds is better or worse had I trained in weight lifting, running, swimming, car racing, knitting, or bird watching?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

I know I can handle myself in a fight, I knew this before aikido...am I going to come out unscathed, probably not, is the other guy going to come out unscathed probably not, what does this mean....I dont know Im tired and lost my train of thought

Dan Hulley
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

No one really knows how they will come out in a fight. You might perceive in your head how you'd wish things might turn out based on the conception of what you think you will incur in a "combat" fight (whatever that is). The truth is you don't know.

There are too many issues that come into play. The only thing you can do is to prepare yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually to be ready when the time comes.

Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield!

Hopefully you do all you can to minimize exposure and reduce risk. With a little bit of skill, and some luck thrown in...well you might survive....it just depends. No matter how good you are, everybody can be beaten and killed.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

I am as effective as any martial artist is who has trained for 11 years, under the teachers I have had, with the intensity and focus I have exercised who meets someone he can defeat with the amount of training and talent they lack or possess.

Another way of putting this is. I can survive some combats and not others. It depends who is in front of me and what tools for fighting they possess. I cannot defeat a short man with a big bomb.That is the same for me, Mike Tyson, the Gracie's and the man walking down the street .
Deeper thought would have kept the question from ever being asked.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
Richard Langridge
United Kingdom

The fact that this topic keeps coming up just shows how incredibly complex the issue of 'combat' really is. Since you can never prepare for every eventuality, there's no harm in working on improving your odds. That's how I see it anyway...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

That's my point. That all we are ever working with are odds and yes, the more you train, with more focus and intensity under great teachers, the more improved your odds are but that doesn't tell you how you will do against anyone because you and I don't have that information about them. No one ever knows who is going to "beat" whom. Even what we think is often wrong. I was once In a Wendy's restaurant when a big guy in a truck pulled up and attacked a little guy who was kissing a girl in a car. The little guy was trapped against the car when the big guy came in with fists swinging and feet kicking. The little guy closed his eyes and threw one overhand shot and knocked out the big guy cold. He looked as shocked as anyone when it happened. I would have bet the house on the big guy but what should have happened didn't happen. No one ever knows.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
I daresay that those of us who are not soldiers can hardly contemplate what 'combat' is. Those of us who have never been in any type of combat other than a street altercation cannot know what it is like to have bombs raining down and whistling all around.
I'm with Mark, here. When one says "combat" I think of a war and what soldiers do. The rules of war are different from the rules of self-defense and the rules of fighting. These are three different situations. Having lost an uncle in war (he was Marine who died in Vietnam), I really cringe when people start talking about "combat" effectiveness, because what that sounds like to me is that you are only focused on killing people where I think most people are really concerned about self-defense (legally defending themselves against and unprovoked attack) and few are concern about fighting (where people pit their skills against one another).

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
?!

Group therapy question of the day for the Anger Management Class?

Quote:
Are you combat effective!..
"!" and not "?" ?!

Quote:
a point may come that you have to defend yourself.. can you be effective enough to survive an actual combat..
Does this keep you awake nights?

Stress probably shortens more lives than violence. Can you be calm enough not to have an aneurism before you hit 17?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
aldie
Philippines

Are you combat effective!.. I can say the dojo I'm learning Aikido from is indeed equipping it's practitioners to be combat effective..

We learn the real value of Aikido by learning it's effectiveness against other forms of Martial Arts. We train to hand to hand combat, hand to armed combat, and armed to armed combat. Armed!.. meaning armed with a knife, a jo, a bokken, an arnis, a gun, a ballpen, and a lot more. We really don't use real knives or guns but what is important is that you are taught of defending yourself effectively against all this through Aikido.

But hey!.. don't be thinking that we view Aikido as an art simply to break bones, hurt people, or whatever. We do value most of all it's timely principles and that we do prefer talking yourself out of trouble rather than.. you know!..

Thank you for your time!..
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
NagaBaba

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
We really don't use real knives or guns but what is important is that you are taught of defending yourself effectively against all this through Aikido.
Ah, I'm so disapointed!!! I hoped for the first time in my short life to see somebody, who like O sensei could do a tenkan against the bullets......I even bought a ticket to Dumaguete City for next week. And now you tell me that you are cheating, that all your story about combat effectiveness is a fake????? no real knives?????? not even real guns????? .............You will have a hard time, because I'm coming with the real knives, live blade katana and a kalashnikov.

hope to see you soon Aldie!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
Are you combat effective!..
erm...appropos of...?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
kaishaku

No, but I am hermetically sealed for your protection.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #20
raul rodrigo
Philippines

There are quite a few dojos in my country where the boast is their aikido is "combat effective." And then when you visit their dojos you find out that the sensei has no affiliation with an international aikido organization and no shihan to follow, the techniques are crude and very choreographed, and the odds are the entire school is just making do with techniques learned from books and videos. If it works for them, fine. But what this has to do with aikido is beyond me.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #21
aldie
Philippines

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Ah, I'm so disapointed!!! I hoped for the first time in my short life to see somebody, who like O sensei could do a tenkan against the bullets......I even bought a ticket to Dumaguete City for next week. And now you tell me that you are cheating, that all your story about combat effectiveness is a fake????? no real knives?????? not even real guns????? .............You will have a hard time, because I'm coming with the real knives, live blade katana and a kalashnikov.

hope to see you soon Aldie!
Wow!.. I don't think if your still training to be effective in Aikido that you would dare do tenkan or all sorts of techniques with real knives, or guns or whatever.. right?.. I have not heard of such a dojo..

But anyway the real purpose of it all using FAKE as you say is safety.. surely no one would want to be responsible for chopping off someone else's fingers or arms .. or cutting yourself..

Anyway the real purpose their is to expose us practitioners on applying aikido techniques when your practice partner attacks you with let say a FAKE knife, or whatever..
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I think many of us have a different idea and expectations of what empty hand Martial arts will really do for you Aldle.

May be philosophical or simply a different paradiqm.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #23
aldie
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
There are quite a few dojos in my country where the boast is their aikido is "combat effective." And then when you visit their dojos you find out that the sensei has no affiliation with an international aikido organization and no shihan to follow, the techniques are crude and very choreographed, and the odds are the entire school is just making do with techniques learned from books and videos. If it works for them, fine. But what this has to do with aikido is beyond me.
Hi Raul,

Dude!.. it's now really on who or what a dojo is affiliated to.. that determines a sensei's skills and knowledge of Aikido. A sensei can attend to all the seminars and trainings there but still.. it all comes down to what really is a sensei's intention.. make business out of Aikido or pursue the true purpose of O'sensei for Aikido..
Old 05-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #24
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
No I am not combat effective... because I do not know how to operate a AK-47, a Glock handgun or throw a hand grenade.

No I am not combat effective... because I do not know how to drive a tank or fly a F-18.

No I am not combat effective because I do not work for the military nor Law Enforcement.

So sorry.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #25
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Aldie Vilan wrote:
Don't know, don't care. I don't practice Aikido to fight, I'm not interested in fighting or going up against other people or arts to test what I do. Does that make me weak or my Aikido ineffective? Does it mean that what I study is of no use? I guess if I ever find myself in a "situation", I'll find out.

Until then, I'm gonna carry on enjoying my practice, learning how to make people fall over, having fun and working on the Aikido principles of not fighting (which obviously require more practice as I posted in this thread ).

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"