Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2002, 03:37 AM   #1
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
Real Lie Aikido Story

I been seeing a lot of threads asking for the effectivity of Aikido in real life application. Here's one that just happened about two months ago.

One of our sensei while going to the dojo had his shoulder bump by a teenager with an attitude. The teenager was with a group of about 4 or 5 others. When our sensei sensed something is wrong after the bumping, he turned around and looked at the kid. The teenager was furious (he looks like he's under the influence of alcohol) and was shouting at him invectives and insults. Knowing there will be trouble he dropped his bag with his gi when the teenager started walking towards him. Even before the kid got near him he gave the teenager a pushing kick to the leg. This made the teenager to lose his balance and fall. (Nice ATEMI don't you think). He thought this will stop the teenager. He was wrong, the moment the kid got up, there in his hand was a fan knife and immediately lunge at him. He side step and did an ikkyo then pushed the kid to the ground the second time. He was at the ready waiting for the others to attack. The teenager got up folded his knife ( when he saw that none from his group dared to attack) and simply walk away shouting invectives. (COWARD) The people watching were very much impressed.

This is a true story, sorry if it got too long I just have to stick to the details.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 03:39 AM   #2
aries admin
REAL LIFE AIKIDO STORY

Sorry for the subject, it should have read REAL LIFE and not REAL LIE.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:29 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Life is sweet. It is nice to know that fantasy can be fact. Express my compliments to your Sensei.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-26-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Sometimes Aikido is quiet

Ever since I promised my wife the "people don't bounce" or that I would not fight unless it was an absolute last resort, I have used both Jujitsu, and Aikido on various occasions to either neutralize an attacker into a whining child, or have a nice quiet talk about what ever was on my mind.

Most people who are pinned do more damage to themselves by trying to use brute force to escape.

I think your sensei should have neutralized the violent youth on the first go round, before a weapon was drawn, and had a little talk with both him and his so called compatriots ... but that is the way I would have handled it before a weapon was drawn.

More than half the time, they listen, and then go on their way ... or they want to learn which changes their view about where they are going in life?

Yeah, Aikido does get used in real life ... sometimes very quietly.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
WOW...
Mr. Baker posted and it was so... SHORT

Anyhow... there are some people whose Aikido works... nice to hear that:P

J.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:40 PM   #6
PhiGammaDawg
Dojo: none {yet}
Canada
Thumbs up SAD

the fact that he was a sensei and he attacked first saddens me...it seems like he took the first blood anyways...guy insults him...sensei takes it personally and insults him back...guy goes up to sensei to give him a piece of his mind... sensei wanted to try his shit out on him...
im disappointed...aikido is for peace not for not kind of people...the fact that he (sensei)is a lethal weapon is important enough...
it seems that even the ego encompasses all training...O'Sensei wanted aikidokas to be egoless and compassionate...using only violence as a last resort...this aint no damn steven seagal movie

again very disappointed

"Saki yakitachi o nukeba, masu masu masurao no kokoro wo togu bekari keri."
--"Before you draw the tempered blade, first temper and purify your own soul."--
Old 06-28-2002, 12:21 AM   #7
aries admin
Circumstances

To PhilGammaDawg:

Circumstances may have dictated for our Sensei to REACT that way, he might have sensed something, from experience or practice maybe, that he needs to REACT. Please note the word REACT. There is already an ACT made by the teenager and A threatening one. I am not sure if anyone of us here would want to have this kid got close to us. Its a common practice to get close to someone 'eyeball to eyeball' then drew a knife and cut the other guy in two. Reaction time there will be shorter and will probably get you killed. The teenager has no other intention except to inflict harm.By reacting that way he has neutralized the threat.

Regards
Old 06-28-2002, 12:31 AM   #8
PhiGammaDawg
Canada
ma-ai?

i would never know what kind of situation he was in. I would have probably reacted the same and just punched him in the face then again thats just me. Sensei did a different move though. took out his feet from under him.

well my point was that could have sensei prevented that from happening anyways...I remember a kungfu master once said that the best fighters dont look for fights...its seems that sensei is itching to try out his stuff. what did sensei say to the guy anyways?
maybe the guy had a different story...
RASHOMON!?!?

--"Before you draw the tempered blade, first temper and purify your own soul."--
Old 06-28-2002, 12:58 AM   #9
aries admin
REAL LIFE AIKIDO STORY

What did sensei say? None he was quiet not until the guy left. Then he uttered CRAZY kids.

I don't think he was itching for one. His back was already on the guy since he is moving away. He ignored the bumping incident but some thing told him to turn around. He saw the kid shouting and moved at him. That is when everything happened. He said the whole thing was FAST.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:36 AM   #10
shihonage
United_States
Re: SAD

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiGammaDawg
the fact that he was a sensei and he attacked first saddens me...it seems like he took the first blood anyways...guy insults him...sensei takes it personally and insults him back...guy goes up to sensei to give him a piece of his mind... sensei wanted to try his shit out on him...
im disappointed...aikido is for peace not for not kind of people...the fact that he (sensei)is a lethal weapon is important enough...
it seems that even the ego encompasses all training...O'Sensei wanted aikidokas to be egoless and compassionate...using only violence as a last resort...this aint no damn steven seagal movie

again very disappointed
For all you know, there could be 300 other potential fights that his Sensei avoided through deescalation and kindness, and this one just happened to be unavoidable.

As for the "no offense" tree-hugging talk, don't even get me started... someone is in need of a wake-up call, and that someone is YOU.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #11
PhiGammaDawg
Canada
Red face haha

you said tree hugger...

tsk tsk...

crazy crazy

its easier to retaliate to an insult than to forget it...

i'll do the latter

PEACE!!!

Old 07-02-2002, 09:19 AM   #12
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
you never hug a tree you commune and meditate
and the only ones really worth that are in a grove or an ancient Oak tree the most sacred tree is an Oak with mistletoe groving on it thats a Druid tree (usualy one buried near it)

but there ya go...

havent had to use my training on anybody as yet but i imagine a friday night on the town would call for it, lots of drunken townies out for a fight espesh near the local heavy metal club 1 metal club Vs 6 dance/rave clubs
roughly 100-200 vs 1-2000!!

us metalheads dont stand much of a chance
maybe i should get sensei to teach them all aikido?
hmmmm
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!