Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #1
BKeesler
Dojo: Westcoast Aikido
United_States
I need advice (opinions)

I have been training within the Jiyushinkai organization for a few years now(sankyu). Our classes are three times a week for 11/2 hours each. I;hungry of knowledge attempt to get my fellow kohai to arrive early for extra practice, which rarely happens. Please understand I am not in a race to shodan, the early practice does not count towards time in grade, my only goal is to become a better aikidoka. Our class is very small it consists of 5 students generally no more than 3 at a class not counting sensei and the other ranking instructors. I have thought about supplementing my training at the Aikikai dojo in town. I have a few concerns with this: 1) would doing this cause conflicts in training i.e. attempting to learn multiple different techniques/theologies. 2) I'm not made of money! thats two monthly dues I'll have to explain to my wife. 3) Would this be truly productive or more counterproductive. I am a firm believer in repetition followed by more repetition. Or how can I convince my fellow students or even sensei to start earlier?

Thanks for the help :

Brian. :
Old 05-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
Re: I need advice (opinions)

Brian,

As someone who also trains within Jiyushinkai but who had originally come from an Aikikai background, let me give you a couple of suggestions.
1. Talk to your teacher (Jim Hanna?) or Chuck Clark Sensei about what you plan on doing. Good communication about your reasons and intent never hurt anyone; besides, that is one of the reasons we have teachers.
2. Expect differences between styles. The Jiyushinkai has a very specific teaching style and learning curriculum. The methods of instruction, technical names, and motivations to learn may be different and that may cause confusion or even friction if you are trying to learn something new.
3. Know the difference between training and practice. If you need practice (which it sounds like), then get to some of the clinics (Shochugeiko starts tomorrow in Tempe!) or train with people who have agreed to give you some of their time to improve your repetoire.
Training is different, and may cause conflict between styles. I went back to see my old Aikikai teacher last summer and arrived right in the middle of a clinic (I didn't know any better). They took issue with all sorts of stuff, from the way I attacked to the way I took ukemi, and generally earned a lot of enmity between myself and some of the new hotshots that took my place when I left to move to Arizona.
Hope this helps and hope to see you at the Jiyushinkan someday.

Jim Vance
Old 05-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
BKeesler
Dojo: Westcoast Aikido
United_States

Thanks Jim for your honesty! It is nice to hear from someone who has trained in both disciplines. I planned on speaking to sensei Hanna when he returns from Arizona. I would much rather train within the Jiyushinkai & I have no intent on parting with sensei Hanna( he is a great instructor!) I just seem to have more drive than the some and at times is somewhat frustrating.when I want to go through the Kihon no Kata and the Owaza Jupon both right and left sides and can get no takers. At home I practice the Tandoku Undo, Ukemi, and my Bokken kata but as you know there are somethings you must have a partner for. So hopefully Sensei Hanna can help when he comes back.

Thanks Again
Brian

\
Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Brian,
I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's what you need to hear. RELAX AND ENJOY. Your frustration with your fellow students can be felt across the internet. I have been at the MA game for a fairly long time and I can count on one hand the number of folks that last with your over enthusiasm. I can assure you from first hand experience as a practiioner and as a witness folks that always want more rarely last long. Training is a long term event, over training retards learning more than it helps.

If/when you want more training do it in your mind. Sit perfectly still and work through your entire kata in your mind, visualize as much detail as possible: body position, feel, tension, foot position, posture, balance, etc for both you AND your uke. The more detail you can process in your mind the longer this exercise will take to the point that the real kata with a partner will seem like seconds. Furthermore, when one can visualize touch and balance affectively they are understanding at a higher level. Physical training confirms what you already learned mentally.

I remember a story about a Vietnam POW in the Hanoi Hilton that built a sail boat in his mind. He drove each nail, cut every board, brushed every stroke of paint, etc. If I remember the story correctly, when he returned home he actually built the boat in half the time it took him to visualize it. That is the level of detail I strive for when I do visualization exercises. To increase your training look in, instead of out.

mark j.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Jordan Steele

I am big believer in cross training, but I think there would be a very clear conflict in your situation. You could supplement with another martial art if that is something that interests you. As for getting students and/or sensei to show up early...unfortunately others don't have the same committment or are willing to go at it. The training fees are just part of the contract, so it is not an issue. If you can afford it, go for it, if not, don't bother. I love to train as well, but I give 100% for the full training time and am usually satisfied. If I'm not..."I'll gice 110& next class. Quality,not quantity.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States

Try to find things you can do at home when you have spare time and extra energy. I do atemi suburi from time to time when I'm bored. Or try doing techniques randomly when you are walking from one room to another (it's not like you'll always have the time to take a nice stance.). Anyways, it's one nice thing about living alone..no weird looks
Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

You are obviously interested - give it a try and see if it is feasible. Previously I have given up classes because I felt I had reached saturation with training and was no longer enjoying it or learning as fast. Just see how you feel.