Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Foreign Language Aikido Discussions > Japanese

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
statisticool
United_States
Aikidoka learning Japanese

I've sat in on a few aikido classes at different dojos to 'test the water' before joining.

One thing I observed is that Japanese is spoken for counting, to say thank you, and for, I think, some basic 'commands'.

So I'm wondering, while language is obviously not mandatory for learning a martial art, do you think it would be helpful for a beginner to learn some basic Japanese (say thank you, and the numbers from 1 to 10) prior to joining a class? And if so, besides the terminology for aikido techniques, is there anything else in Japanese that would be helpful to learn?

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Aikidoka learning Japanese

Quote:
So I'm wondering, while language is obviously not mandatory for learning a martial art, do you think it would be helpful for a beginner to learn some basic Japanese (say thank you, and the numbers from 1 to 10) prior to joining a class? And if so, besides the terminology for aikido techniques, is there anything else in Japanese that would be helpful to learn?
No, it's not really necessary to learn some basic Japanese before you start. Because you don't necessarily know which terms and phrases are important to know until you start. Once you start you'll learn quickly what you need to know even though you won't learn it right away.

I guess, my point is you don't have to worry that much about it just start taking classes.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

heh, i'd say it's not even that important to speak Japanese while training in Japan. Some of the sensei don't even speak much Japanese to the Japanese students. I'd definitely not let the language stop me from starting. Like new words in English, once you hear and use them a few times, they'll stick.

Jory
Old 05-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

All you need, you find in the aikiwiki section. You need not start anything, before training, but you can lookup phrases, you have heard.

I'ld like to have some classes "Japanes for Martial Artists", i.e. starting with the words, you know, and followed by some phrases, you need to train in Japanand resulting in basic skills to do some after-mat small-talk.

I could not find any yet.

Dirk
Old 05-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

You're going to feel confused and lost in the beginning anyway. Learning Japanese probably won't prevent that. But if you think it's interesting, by all means go ahead, you can find a lot of the terminology here in this website. The most important thing though is to get yourself on the mat and start practicing!

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
DmG

Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States

Jason,

You'll learn japanese without even trying, so I would worry about learning it before....

....I had one 9 year old boy, who'd only had 3 classes, raise his hand and ask "can I be nage first?" One of my colleagues was so impressed that he knew the word 'nage' that she said I should let him...and I did.

...I had another 9 year old girl correct me. I said "Put your left foot forward". She said "don't you mean 'left hamni'? Guess I did....

Point is....you will hear people say things, and they will demonstrate (and/or explain) and you will come and to associate actions and the words without even trying....(by the way, every sport/art has its language...when I danced I could speak 'dance french'....you learn the terms because you are into what you are learning)
Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Oh yeah, ballet french! And I also speak Sushinese...in fact when my Japanese friend visits me at Renaissance Faire, she speaks real Japanese to me, and I respond in sushi-and-aikidonese. I have no idea what she is saying but I am saying something like "fall down tuna seawed bow arm turn octopus horseradish" and the challenge is for her to keep a straight face.

japanese is a "building block" language, so once you know a few words it gets easier to figure out words that incorporate the same blocks.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote:
heh, i'd say it's not even that important to speak Japanese while training in Japan. Some of the sensei don't even speak much Japanese to the Japanese students.
~Amen to that.
Watch everything, be quiet and listen attentively; no need for much else at the beginning. I wish someone would have told me that...maybe they did but I was too busy talking.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
statisticool
United_States

Thanks for your comments everyone! It was just something I was curious about from the classes I've observed.

Last edited by statisticool : 05-14-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote:
heh, i'd say it's not even that important to speak Japanese while training in Japan. Some of the sensei don't even speak much Japanese to the Japanese students. I'd definitely not let the language stop me from starting. Like new words in English, once you hear and use them a few times, they'll stick.

Jory
I disagree here.

If you live in Japan, I think it is matter of courtesy to your Japanese teachers that you make some effort to learn the language. Recently, Tada Sensei gave a course here in Hiroshima and he spent quite some time explaining the purpose of the solo exercises he expected us to do. Of course it was all in Japanese and the Japanese-less foreigners who were participating looked totally lost. They could do the exercises eventually by watching others, but had no idea why they were doing them.

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
John Matsushima

United_States

Make sure you learn how to say "ITAIIIIIIII!!!!"

Learning Japanese for me has helped my understanding of Aikido. For example, there is a difference between putting your left foot forward and being in left hanmi.

Gambatte!

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 05-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Josh Reyer

Japan

I really enjoy studying aikido in Japanese. There's a certain confluence of idiom that I think is missing when aikido is studied in English. And I think, for those who wish to know about and understand Japanese culture, studying the Japanese language is far more useful than studying aikido.

But would an aikido beginner, living in America, need to study it? Nah. Like aikido, it's a commitment, not to be taken lightly.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #13
Takao Hattori
Dojo: Shunyoukai/Yokosuka
Japan

One of our dojo is located at USA Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan. Members are American.They learn Japanese as well as Aikido in the class.
If you learn only technique,you may not need to learn Japanese. However, if you want to learn spirit of Aikido,you had better learn Japanese.
http://www.geocities.jp/yokosuka111/
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
Mato-san
Iceland

I like this one.
Justin when I came to Japan I had no Japanese language skills, and still now I have little language ability (josh will tell you that) but learning Aikido was easier than learning language skills, and it still is. Although my Japanese gets better day by day, My Aikido progresses alot faster. So I guess you need little or no Japanese to start, but to progress you may need to learn some basic language but it comes to you. This training is called 'image training' and I think it has been bought up before in the forums about talking and verbal instruction during Aikido and the benefits of it. I say Just take the bull by the horns and you will not regret it. (I would practice sitting seiza more than the language if you worry about anything.)

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

I recently found a good Japanese podcast, & have been enjoying it quite a bit .
They do Beginner, Intermediate, & Survival Lessons.

It may be out of print, but at one time Tuttle had published a book & Cassette tape (anyone remember those?) titled Japanese for Martial Artists , or something similar.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #16
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
Justin when I came to Japan I had no Japanese language skills, and still now I have little language ability (josh will tell you that) but learning Aikido was easier than learning language skills, and it still is. Although my Japanese gets better day by day, My Aikido progresses alot faster. So I guess you need little or no Japanese to start, but to progress you may need to learn some basic language but it comes to you. This training is called 'image training' and I think it has been bought up before in the forums about talking and verbal instruction during Aikido and the benefits of it. I say Just take the bull by the horns and you will not regret it. (I would practice sitting seiza more than the language if you worry about anything.)
Cool, thanks Mathew.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #17
Jory Boling

United_States

Quote:
Jon Harris wrote:
I recently found a good Japanese podcast, & have been enjoying it quite a bit .
They do Beginner, Intermediate, & Survival Lessons.

It may be out of print, but at one time Tuttle had published a book & Cassette tape (anyone remember those?) titled Japanese for Martial Artists , or something similar.
hi, could you please post that link again? i can't seem to get to it from your original post.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
Jory Boling

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
I disagree here.

If you live in Japan, I think it is matter of courtesy to your Japanese teachers that you make some effort to learn the language. Recently, Tada Sensei gave a course here in Hiroshima and he spent quite some time explaining the purpose of the solo exercises he expected us to do. Of course it was all in Japanese and the Japanese-less foreigners who were participating looked totally lost. They could do the exercises eventually by watching others, but had no idea why they were doing them.
I agree here.
If you are in Japan, learn to speak as much Japanese as you can. As my skills have improved, my sensei, sempai,and cohai have all warmed up, to me.

However, if you are not in Japan, I wouldn't worry so much about learning Japanese "prior to joining a class." As your first day turns into weeks into months, you will have picked up most of what you need.

In my general, day to day classes, there is not a lot of talking going on. It's more of a "do as I do" kind of thing. However, during special training sessions, with guest sensei, I'm postive that i've missed many verbal training points.

The following tape might be helpful:
http://www.koryubooks.com/books/japanese.html
(I have a copy in a box in a storage building- I wish i brought it with me!)
Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #19
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote:
hi, could you please post that link again? i can't seem to get to it from your original post.
Jory, their homepage is http://japanesepod101.com/ ; I'm not sure how I screwed the link up before. Sorry. On the site, you can download individual lessons, or subscribe to the podcast.
Their iTunes subscription link is http://tinyurl.com/qdgup

-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #20
Hanna B
Sweden

This thread quickly drifted slightly off topic, and I take the liberty to revive it although pretty cold.

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote:
I've sat in on a few aikido classes at different dojos to 'test the water' before joining.

One thing I observed is that Japanese is spoken for counting, to say thank you, and for, I think, some basic 'commands'.

Prior to joining class - no I do not think so. Beginners are not expected to understand all the Japanese terms, you learn them eventually. In the middle of the first term, though, it certainly is a help to learn as much of the Japanese stuff you encounter - for many people one of the trickiest part of their first grading test is to remember the names of the techniques! and sure it helps if you learn a little Japanese outside of aikido class. If you like to learn languages, sure go ahead and you will have some use from it.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #21
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Hanna,

I disagree about the thread drift.

I have found that it is just as difficult for my Japanese students in Hiroshima to remember the names of the waza, when they prepare for a grading, as it is for Dutch students in Holland (where I also regularly teach).

The question of the original poster was not specific as to country and my Japanese students are native speakers of the language. So, while one can argue about learning terms for numbers etc, learning the terms for waza seems not to depend on whether you are a native speaker or not.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 06-03-2006 at 08:32 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #22
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
I have found that it is just as difficult for my Japanese students in Hiroshima to remember the names of the waza, when they prepare for a grading, as it is for Dutch students in Holland (where I also regularly teach)
This surprises me to no end.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #23
Jory Boling

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
...I have found that it is just as difficult for my Japanese students in Hiroshima to remember the names of the waza, when they prepare for a grading...
And during our last test there was confusion among some of my Japanese classmates concerning waza names.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #24
aikido_diver
Australia

Regarding this topic,

I don't believe while living in your own home country that it would be necessary. However before I really took Aikido seriously I was studying Japanese more seriously. This has led me to make the decision to go to Japan for University in Osaka - the bonus is that I can now also train under the teachers I want to. I also heard that Saito Sensei (Jnr) encouraging his students to learn Japanese in order to understand O'Sensei's teachings - I think that might be difficult even for some good translators/interpretors.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #25
Gene McGloin
Dojo: Bond St. Dojo

I've travelled to Japan quite a few times to visit my wife's family. Trust me, if you are planning on moving to Japan, for whatever reason, you will need some Japanese language ability to get by in daily life, even in the large cities such as Tokyo and Osaka. The attached link is to a really basic, beginning Japanese study guide which helped me out in my first year of study:

http://users.tmok.com/~tumble/qadgtj.html

It's REALLY basic and doesn't work in all gramattical "situations", but it'll get you started and understood, for the most part. The worst part is that it's not written in Japanese. See, you'll also have to begin learning written Japanese as well. Start with the "kana" writing system, do not jump into "kanji".

Gambattene,

Gene