Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
JesseGraves
United_States
out of shape

fat and outta shape but wanna get into aikido. is that possible??????
Old 06-04-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: out of shape

Yes.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

And once you are bitten by the bug, what might you ask is a good off-mat activity to help you get in better shape? Fast-walking / jogging / running. Does loads to improve your stamina. I think I love jogging because it is so simple and you can loose yourself in the simple movement and breathing.

Not at this level however...but someday, why not?
http://www.trailrunnermag.com/featur...ture%2019.html

Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Man of Aiki
Dojo: Aikido By The Bay
United_States

Doing Aikido by itself is a great workout.

You will struggle during the waza time as you will find you have to pick yourself up off of the mat around 30-40 times a class (maybe more). Believe me, that by itself is a great stamina builder.

Don't be embarassed if you have to take a breather or even can't get through the entire class initially. Someone who can go through an average Aikido class and get thrown down to the mat 30-40 times a class and get back up and not be tired at the end of it is in unusually good shape.

Since most Aikido classes I have seen are planned to provide a very good overall workout for around a hour and a half, it is expected that new students will struggle and maybe only be able to give 100% for the first 30 minutes to the first half hour.

And of course, if you tweak or strain anything you should stop immediately.

Anyone who expects to just step in an do an entire hour and a half Aikido class while just breaking a light sweat had better be in exceptional shape to start with.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
crbateman

I am both "vertically challenged" and "horizontally gifted", so I feel qualified to "weigh in" here... You CAN do Aikido. Your physique will make some aspects to your training a bit more difficult, but will actually be advantageous in others. Just keep at it, train with dedication and joy, and try to learn as much as you can about the mental, spiritual and philosophical aspects of Aikido. You are NEVER too fat to read, to help others, or to bring happiness to yourself and those around you. At the same time, your physical activity can be moderated so you don't overdue it, and you will be surprised just how quickly your strength, flexibility, stamina and balance will improve. Contact me directly if you have questions, or need encouragement.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Brian Cates wrote:
Since most Aikido classes I have seen are planned to provide a very good overall workout for around a hour and a half, it is expected that new students will struggle and maybe only be able to give 100% for the first 30 minutes to the first half hour.
I'm confused Brian; is it 30 minutes or half an hour?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
Of course you can... As others might have said it might take a bit to make the whole class... But you have to start somewhere...

Fat ,outta shape and you can even run a marrathon... just don't expect to make it all the way the first time on the road

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 06-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
JesseGraves
United_States

thanks alot guys. made me feel better
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey

there's a guy in our dojo, weighting over 100 kg (224 Pound)...He is a shodan (1.dan black belt) and is very good in motion. He can take good ukemi (falling) and his aikido is effective - especially in entering, his weight gives him more advantage I think...
So, don't hesitate, you will be fine
wish you happy training
Old 06-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Leslie Leoni
Dojo: AKR Martial Arts/Greenville, Texas
United_States

Have faith in yourself! You took the first step by wanting to do Aikido. It is a great workout and you will enjoy it so much you will practice during the remainder of the week. I wondered the same thing before I started my training and now I've never felt better! (or looked better for that matter!) My training has motivated me to start other physical activity during the rest of my day, not just for Aikido practice. Take it slow and as you feel comfortable, pick up the pace. You will be in shape in no time! GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

We have a couple of "Big Guys" in our class and it always surprises me at how gracefully they move. I've learned that someone's size can be deceiving! Never undersestimate anyone!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

That's one of the nice things about Aikido, in my opinion, that there's almost no physical limitation that prevents you from practicing it. I, for example, am very unflexible in my legs. So I won't be a Tai Kwan Do master. But I can train in Aikido, and Aikido training pushes me to work on my flexibility so i'll be able to train better.

By the way, when you start training, you may find that your size sometimes gives you an edge in resisting to throws, or in forcing a throw. While that may feel good when you manage to overcome your opponent, I think it will be wise to keep in mind that size and strength aren't the things that make a technique effective.

Now, stop reading and call ur local dojo
Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
How fat is fat? 500 pounds and 5' 4"? 200 pounds and 5' 10"?

Whatever you do, just be careful and try not to overdo it when you take ukemi, especially in the beginning. You don't want to hurt yourself or to have a heart attack.

In addition, if you've got enough mass behind you, there's not going to be much that people can do to stop you from taking bad ukemi, or to guide you into rolls that are less damaging than the ones beginners have been known to take. As you have more mass, landing on your shoulder wrong, or something like that, will have a lot greater chance of damaging you than a lighter person.

I've also had bigger people fall on me, by losing their balance, as nage. This is something that hasn't injured me so far, but that's probably because I'm not exactly small and I'm pretty careful.

In general, people with a lot of mass can hurt themselves (and others) a lot until they learn patience and self control with their ukemi.

However, in the long term you should be fine.

Rob

Last edited by Robert Rumpf : 06-05-2006 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Elaboration.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Go for it.

Be respectful of your body's need for rest and liquids--especially in summer. If you aren't used to working out, it's easy to let yourself become dehydrated and this is very bad for you.

I spent a *lot* of my first year sitting on the mat panting while other people trained, but they put up with me, and things slowly improved. (I still pant a lot. I need to kick my fitness up one more notch or I'm never going to make it through my next test. But that's a nice motivating goal for me to work on.)

Mary Kaye
Old 06-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
JesseGraves
United_States

How fat is fat? 500 pounds and 5' 4"? 200 pounds and 5' 10"?

well im 21 and im somewhere between 5'9'' and 6 feet and about 250 lbs
i played alot of football and wrestling in high school. but that was awhile ago. i know once i get going i'll be ok.im sure it'll take awhile to get used to high pysical activity again but after a few classes im sure i'll be fine. what im worried about in aikido is ukemi. seems scary
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
JesseGraves
United_States

also is there a way to practice ukemi before i go into the dojo so i wont make an ass outta myself??? or should i wait for someone to show me the right way?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #17
crbateman

Don't practice without instruction. Learn the right way. Your instructor and your fellow students are there to help you. Do not waste that most valuable resource.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
also is there a way to practice ukemi before i go into the dojo so i wont make an ass outta myself??? or should i wait for someone to show me the right way?
You should probably try to arrive 10-15 minutes before class on a regular basis and ask someone experienced (such as the instructor) to help you learn to fall. If that's not possible, try to stay 10-15 minutes after class to get help..

You'll learn in no time. It took me about 6 months, but I'm a slow student.

Rob
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #19
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
Don't think that you would make an ass outta yourself, first, at the beginning none can take ukemi properly and everbody looked funny once...second, I haven't met the guys in your dojo but I assure you that they all will be nice and helpful people. Due to the fundementals of aikido
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
Failure is part of learning. If you knew how to do it you wouldn't need instruction. Learn to enjoy the learning process of failure. Everytime you fail, stop, laugh, analyze your problem, and try again. If you are worried about making an ass out of yourself, you are going to have a harder time learning.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
Robert Jackson

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:

well im 21 and im somewhere between 5'9'' and 6 feet and about 250 lbs
I'm 26 6'3" 250 lbs... (Probably more when I start 4 years ago) .. Just get on the mat... They'll teach you ukemi it can be a slow process (took me a REALLY long time to learn how to roll without going splat but that happens with everyone not just us big people)

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 06-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #22
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Becareful of your neck when you roll and just try it .
Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #23
JesseGraves
United_States

thanks alot guys.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
dps

Quote:
Jesse Graves wrote:
Hi Jesse,
Congratulations, you have joined an exclusive club where the right of passage contains a secret ritual and saying. Everyone in this club has, from the beginning of their Aikido practice, performed this ritual and uttered the saying. You will notice your fellow Aikidoists nodding and smiling as your perform the ritual and some will admit to you of uttering the saying to themselves or sometimes out loud. The brave and bold will even tell those outside the dojo.
The ritual; thinking that you made and ass out of yourself as you learn and practice the techniques.
The sacred saying; " Dam, I hope I didn't make an ass of myself."

David

P.S. No one has shown me the secret handshake yet.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #25
Robert Jackson

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
P.S. No one has shown me the secret handshake yet.

Secert handshake? I thought that was Kotegashi? Am I wrong? Danget I want to know the secert handshake! Sankyo? Yonkyo maybe a combination of three? Tell me! Tell me!