Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Politics vs. Respect

I was hoping for a different twist on the oft-debated politics issue.

As I experience more things, I find my tendency to have a strong distaste for politics: the mind games, the fake smiles, the false partnerships, the sly maneuvers, etc.

What happened to respecting your peers and fellow people? When one respects another (because they are both fellow humans or peers, not out of fear, etc.), isn't that a more honest relationship?

To me, the "art" of BS'ing someone is disappointing, and yet, still [rarely] necessary.

What are others' experience in aikido, or just in regular out-of-dojo affairs? Has the BS gotten too thick, or should I just accept it as a necessary "thing" in the world?

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 11-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
mj
ma-ai

Old 11-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #3
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Politics vs. Respect

Quote:
Phillip Johnson (PhilJ) wrote:
Has the BS gotten too thick, or should I just accept it as a necessary "thing" in the world?

*Phil
BS should never be a necessary thing in your budo. If it is, it's time to move on and find a different place to train.

If the politix are too thick, the training will suffer.

You do know the definition of politics?

Poly = Greek term meaning many.

Tics = 1. Blood sucking insects 2. Nervous jerks.

Just my 2 cents worth ... if you can't see the budo for the politics, it's BS.

Chuck

Old 11-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
I should be clear and mention this isn't an issue I have in my current setting; on the contrary, my relationship with the chief instructor, students, dojo, etc. are the best I've had -- no mind games.

Thanks Mark, but I'm looking for input, and not riddles (aka "BS"). I'm not that smart.

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 11-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
mj
Politics are quite simple.

Ridicule the (current) opponent, praise the (current) ally. (Or create a new opponent/ally) (It can be taxes, welfare or bureaucrats..doesn't have to be people...just needs to be 'not us', or 'against our interest')

It's a dirty business. Morals are not needed, just understanding the fears/needs/desires (etc) of the majority.

If you don't 'sell out' a part of yourself in politics you have a mountain to climb. (It is called communication)

Ma-ai, in its purist form (aikidowise in my opinion) changes to irimi. (Because imo, irimi is ma-ai)

If you are perfectly willing, when someone is running up to hit you upside the head....to create the impression of 'dum-de-dum-I-am-not-even-aware-I-am-gonna-be-hit-on-the-head'...(WOW! IRIMI)...that is a form of politics (playing to the minds of others but not for your own ends, instead to a higher ideal that you don't presume to understand).

Is it fair to teach the value of changing an attack (kaeshi-waza) into an opportunity? Is not this only (the martial art of destruction)politics, but Macchiavelian (sp). Mind control?...No, your attacker attacks, the path to his victory is seen (his goal)..and so on, I won't post answers in an aikido forum as if people do not know these concepts.

However if your Irimi has egoistic/judgemental intent....you are just a reflection of your attacker and it doesn't actually matter what happens...not to my interpritation of the unverse anyway.

But enough about me..by politics do you mean attack, ma-ai or irimi?

Old 11-03-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
I think its culture and conformity.

Agreed you have principles and you risk losing it if you flaunt it. But ego is also an element that you have to recognise.

BS of course is not acceptable because there's no grain of truth to it. But if we are talking compromises, being subtle and tactful, psyching out ppl and etc, I believe its necessary.

Giving in to get your way is a great read. Hard to implement cause its very much against nature. So is aikido btw. Very unnatural for animal instincts. But who says we are animals anyway? So maybe... its a very good way to learn about being human.

Finally... why do we even allow 'dirty' politics and its 'dirty' incumbents to rule 'clean' lil us? If we are so 'clean' maybe we should have voted mr 'clean'. But it doesn't happen? So politics is just a reflection of our true selves. Maybe if you were the politician, you'll be exactly as the guy you love to hate.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 AM   #7
Michael Karmon
Dojo: Aikido Jerusalem
Re: Politics vs. Respect

Politics is when two or more people differ on what and how to do something that has to be done and one side tries to cause the other side to comply with it's own will.

Politics is natural and acceptable as long as it is a by product of running a dojo.

Too much politics == too much ego, too much ego == bad Aikido.

I have left a (non-Aikido) dojo where seeking advice from one senior practitioner meant "being hostile" to some other seniors.

I, and many others, have left the dojo for greener pastures.

A good dojo leader that radiates "practice now, talk later" is the best cure for dojo over-dosing on politics