Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey
Ai symbol Seizure by violence

If you are living at metro-cities, you would always have the possibility to be seizure by violence. I never came into such a situation, but It does not mean I will not…We discussed with friends, what would be our behavior when we come across somebody saying "give me your whole money" etc…sometimes I hear at the news, a guy was seizure by violence and was threatened with a drawn knife. The result of our discussion was "escape if you can", "give whatever you have without taking any risk" and "oppose and defense yourself"…what I want to ask, would you, for example start with an atemi, walk to side and prepare for a possible randori (probably, there would be 2-3 more guys waiting at the corner)…or would you just do what he wants…(certainly the situation would change if your family-girlfriend etc is with you at the moment-you would have to protect them too)…

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. With the wishes that nobody would be in such a situation and the hopes that the dream of O'Sensei comes true; a world without violence, only love and harmony…
Old 06-12-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Re: Seizure by violence

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/
Old 06-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center

Only a fool would fight a guy with a knife for anything less than the protection of family, friend, or self. 15th degree black belt in 4 styles fights a guy with a knife, trips on a crack in the curb and gets stabbed to death over 20 bucks in his wallet. I mean honestly, neither your car nor your wallet is worth the risk, no matter how good you are, or think you are.

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson
Old 06-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #4
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

IMHO no matter how hard you train, no matter how good you are, if your opponent is armed he automatically has the edge. If encountered I wouldn't be ashamed to run, unless of course the family is in danger and then I'll fight till I die, if I am sucessfull in neutralizing the assillant then I will make a citizens arrest and bring him to the nearest precint.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

Personally,Being raised and living in L.A has brought me somewhat an advantage of being street smart..I think you should be aware and cultivate and awareness of knowing what your up against.Believe it or not but some muggers will still try to hurt you even after giving them what they want..And one way is to follow what they say but try not to show too much fear..Some humans,especially in ghettos live and act like animals..Just like in the wilderness you dont know what to do in the face of a lion or tiger..Always keep your head up and remember,Just because the assailant has chose the wrong pathway in life and has become evil he is still human...KEEP UR HEAD UP AT ALL TIMES AND TRY TO BLEND YOUR SPIRITS WILL TO OVERCOME EVIL..