Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia
How Much does Aikido Effect Your Life?

Well, How much in your life does aikido come into play, how much of it does it effect?
i know i am personally almost always thinking about it, even when i go to work out in the gym i think how easily this reb could be if i used my ki, and so forth,
Aikido, is a way of life, it helps me relax controll my self, have more confidence in my self, it really guides me through life everywhere,
so in conclusion im practlaly always thinking about it and basing shifts on when i should work and when i should spend time with my friends around aikido...it really is the center of my life.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia
Re: How Much does Aikido Effect Your Life?

It's becoming ever more important. The 10 consecutive excercises we do at the beginning of training (I don't know the names, sorry) offer me a great streching session right after getting out of bed. Having trouble with my back, I try to correct my posture, move comfortably and stabily. Aikido provides the know-how (keeping the shoulders down, lifting stuff and generally moving from the centre...). Ki breathing has become a supplement to a relaxation technique I'm doing. Extending Ki in stressful situations has proven very successful. Doing work in your head, "cleaning the attic", accepting unpleasant situations benevolently (with + Ki), holding my ego on the leash, not getting upset at every petty issue... all of that and more I try to do with the all-encompassing Aikido.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
jakeith
Dojo: Kanshinkan
United_States

I am new to aikido...4 weeks and really have fallen in love with the entire aspect...from the art to the philosophy. Although I am very ashamed to say that I am writing this with a broken hand...on Saturday I got so angry I lashed out at my poor vehicle...stupid..yes alcohol was involved. since the moment of impact I have been so ashamed...I am beating myself up mentally. I can't work out for 6 weeks...I hate to think what will happen to my training level thus far...and I'm afraid to go into my dojo and face my sensei. I feel that I have let him down. I should have been thinking...no conflict.

sorry to rant on this post..but I fell in here and I feel like this is where I should bare my soul..for lack of a better term. If I used even the SIMPLEST of my teachings...I would be going to my dojo tonight to train...instead of watch.

joseph
Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Joseph,

During this time of reflection, there are several good books on Aikido, the training and the philosophy, that you could be reading as well. I am in my second month of learning about this art and I have read so far "The Philosophy of Aikido" by John Steven's and one by Tohei Sensei. This will put you into a different perspective of your life.

Peace
Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
Larry John
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia

Joseph,

Who says you can't work out for six weeks?

With your sensei's approval you can go to the dojo and:

- Do taisabaki to concentrate on posture, timing and maai
- Practice shikko
- Closely observe the others on the mat to see what works and what doesn't while exercising and possibly improving your powers of observation
- Slowly do techniques, or at least initial response and kuzushi, with the unbroken hand

I'll be doing much of that for the next month while I'm hors de combat as my doc evaluates my recently discovered disc bulges, stenosis and spinal arthirtis but no rolls, falls or significant spinal distortion.

There's almost always a safe way to keep training if you look for it.

Larry
Old 10-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
jakeith
Dojo: Kanshinkan
United_States

Tish and Larry,

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will take them to heart. I'm going to my dojo this evening...I'm bracing myself for the ridicule from the group.

joseph
Old 10-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Joseph,

I don't think they will ridicule you. You sound like you are being very humble about your attitude and have done some learning from it. Usually people are pretty forgiving.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
crbateman

Joseph, you'll be fine... Often, you can pick up obscure little things from the spectator position that you don't really get time to think about on the mat (and you can take notes, too). In the future, however, I would submit that a large hammer makes a better weapon than a fist when attacking a car...
Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Pierre Rood
Netherlands

Hi Joseph,

You may well have learned a lesson that may save your life in a futere situation. Thank your car for it!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
Pierre Rood
Netherlands

Back to the original question:

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
Well, How much in your life does aikido come into play, how much of it does it effect?
Well, the other vision on (possible) conflict from Aikido changed my life from the first day on. Althoug sometimes it goes with me like with Joseph, I find myself seeking the harmonious solution as by nature. I really love it, whenever I would not be able to perform physical anymore, I still will do Aikido with my mind.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #11
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

At first I just thought Aikido would be good physical conditioning, but the ukemi has really changed my life. I'm doing things I never thought was possible at my age (49) and am feeling an emotional resilience too, from learning that falling down isn't the end of the world. I neve would have guessed this would happen, when I started.

Oh, and I also feel an emotional glee I'd forgotten I could feel as an adult!

Jeanne
Old 10-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Adrian, that is a very good question. I am not quite sure what the answer is for me.

There is a way in which I use kokyu breathing exercises to make it though my day, but I do not feel comfortable talking about it. Suffice it to say they come in handy.

Other than that, I can't tell. I imagine it has had an influence, but in my case it may be subtle enough I couldn't put my finger on it.

Not the sort of answer you were looking for, but there you are.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

in my opinion for anyone who has been doing it for at least 6 months constantly, it would of all effected everyone's life, in the way they think about things,handle things, even if you havnt noticed it...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #14
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

"How much in your life does aikido come into play"

If the answer's not much then quit, or at least change schools.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #15
Yokaze

Dojo: Five Dragons
United_States

Aikido has affected every part of my life, and the physical fitness and balance are the least of the changes.

Aikido has taught me to love life, to see each day as a gift, good or bad. It has taught me that violence is something I will not soil myself with. I won't even kill an insect or a spider if I can avoid it.

My entire outlook on life has been changed through my experiences with Aikido and Tai Chi.

"The only true victory is victory over oneself."

Rob Cunningham
3rd Kyu

Icon courtesy of Norbert Knoll http://www.aikido-verein-hannover.de