Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
MsForeverlotus
United_States
Ai symbol Tips for Training at home?

Currently my financial situation does not allow for me to attend Aikido classes.
I was wondering what some exercises I could do to keep me sharp and ready for when I go back?
Anything from actual excersises to basic Aikido movements?
I just need some ideas. What do you do at home to practice?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Tips for Training at home?

Quote:
Tiffany Bowden wrote: View Post
Currently my financial situation does not allow for me to attend Aikido classes.
I was wondering what some exercises I could do to keep me sharp and ready for when I go back?
Dear Tiffany,
Solo exercises [body ]:Torifune, BasicTai Sabaki;Kokyu Ho breathing;Sitting in Seiza.Shikko Ho. General exercise.

Weapons:Shiho Giri/Happo giri./Batto ho/Suiburi/Chiba Sensei 8 count Suburi.Kesagiri. Swordwork.

Jyo:.Solo execises.Kesa uchi.Tsuki.Shomenuchi. Any form of basic kata. Just use your imagination here.A good habit to get into is get used to handiling sword /stick /dagger.
Many years ago in my work I used my dinner hour to do solo exercises as above iinstead of having a pint in my local bar.Just goes to show I got my priorities wrong.Cheers, Joe.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Tiffany Bowden wrote: View Post
Weapons....and tall ceilings.

My buddy actually has cut-down versions of jo and bokken so he can train in his basement.

Its not so much the techniques you do that matter to your training, but how you train them.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Marin Pavešić

Dojo: Takemusu Giri
Croatia

Some tips if you want to do so:
-basic movments and stances
-3 jo kata (rokku-no-jo, ju-sano-jo-kata and san-ju-ichi-no-jo kata)
- jo suburi
-ken suburi
- happo giri and jono giri
-try doing some techniques imagining you have an training partner
-some basic excersies you do on training
-try to some workout for muscles and condition to stay fit
- think a lot about aikido principles
-try talking to sensei about money, my friend was poor and my sensei showed he is a good man and let him stay for free
good luck stay strong
Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

I think a lot depends on where you were with your training before you had to leave the dojo (i.e., what you have to work with). The answer is very different for someone who has been training six months vs. someone who has been training ten years.

I'd also second what Marin said re: making an arrangement with the dojo, although I would not ask for a free ride. There may be work that needs doing around the dojo. Another possibility is to look at your other expenses, and see if you're spending money on something that you would be willing to give up for aikido. The average monthly cable TV bill doesn't cost any more than dojo dues. What are you willing to do for your training?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Kokyu Ho breathing; Sitting in Seiza. Shikko Ho. General exercise.
Yeah, I would definitely second these, although with the caveat that if you are a real newbie at aikido, by practicing any basic aikido movements like shikko ho without oversight, you may be training yourself into bad habits.

There was a discussion at one point on this forum about good exercises for aikido. I have given the matter a lot of thought over the last 6 months and cannot say I have any really good answer. I have been trying different things in the gym while continuing to train with this year's Kenshusei class at Mugenjuku. Every exercise besides simply doing aikido seems to have a down side as well as a benefit.

One conclusion I have come to is that if you are going to work out for aikido, how you do exercises is very important. For example, I think the Roman chair leg raise is likely to be one of the best exercises for aikido; however, it is true only if you do it in certain ways. For example, you need to not rest your back against something as in the link I posted. Instead, focus on keeping your shoulders from rolling forward and then use your lats and the muscles around your spine to hold this shoulders-back posture with your chest and spine expanded. In this position, you don't need to rest your back on something and you can experiment with manipulating your hanging pelvic region while keeping good posture for aikido.

My guess is that a properly executed Olympic Full Snatch is also an excellent exercise for aikido, although I haven't tried incorporating it into my workouts because my knees can't take it.

I don't think running is particularly good. If you are going to run, make sure you keep your legs stretched out, especially the gluts, ham strings and shins. Tight gluts and hams seem to be big contributors to poor seiza and shikko ho.

I don't think traditional crunches are very good for aikido, maybe even counterproductive. I think exercises where you are anatomically extended (like Back Extension) and your lungs are open are better than exercises where you hunch your shoulders and curl up.

I would guess yoga is good, although I haven't tried it because I don't like it.

If you are stuck at home, you can do air squats and you could do Full Snatches at home, too, with a jo, a bo, or a broom handle. The point is to use the bar to control your posture.

Well, that is all for now. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
kewms

Second the recommendation for yoga. I practiced yoga for a while as part of rehab for an injury, and thought its focus on balance, symmetry, and body awareness was very valuable.

I'd recommend rowing over running for aerobic exercise. More of a full body exercise, less impact on the joints.

I think weight training is potentially valuable, but you would need to be very very aware of stiffness and range of motion. I would focus on the olympic lifts (snatch, clean and jerk) because they are explosive and reward good mobility. You'd want a coach to watch your form and write an intelligent program for you, though, which might not be an option given your financial situation.

I agree that aikido exercises per se are problematic unless you have some experience. Practicing incorrectly is worse than not practicing at all.

Katherine
Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Any of the aikitaiso exercises that are done before class are important to do during these times because they help you to remember your training. I agree that yoga would be valuable as you cannot always do rolls, side break falls, etc at home.

I just returned to training after 8 years of being away, and was amazed at how much came back to me instantly at my first class last night. I am sure this is the result of having made my aikitaiso part of my home workout routine.