Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
striking practise

Just thought I'd share some experiences of some new methods I'm trying out.

Although I used to do lots of striking practise when I was younger but I realised I'd lost this ability. To improve fitness and an understanding of how to strike hard I've introduced striking practise. Basically there is some basic instruction but the core of the training is 3 minutes on the focus mitts doing different strikes and combinations just prior to normal training (very intensively). Its simple to do, its easy to pick up and it keeps people fighting fit. Also, I am very aware myself that when doing techniques I am prepared to strike the various vital points that aikido techniques expose much more instinctively. Instead of just thinking 'I could have struck you there', I actually know I could have because I'm actually resisting the urge to do so. In addition, the attacks have become more sincere and I feel that newbies actually have more admiration for what we are trying to achieve in aikido because they can see how powerful and fast a punch can be, yet how that force can be used.

Does anyone else do something similar? Does anyone feel this is bad? Anyone else interested?

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines
Re: striking practise

We used to practice hiji-kata in solo form and against focus pads. Also five punches (jab, cross, hook, backfist, uppercut) solo form and against focus pads.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
eyrie

Australia

I introduced it from day one... not just striking, but kicking as well - on an improvised striking pad. The kids absolutely LOVE it! For the bigger kids, I also show where (angle and direction) to strike or kick. I feel it definitely improves their striking techniques and control, as well as a better appreciation of the forces involved.

Ignatius
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Hi Ignatius - yep. One difficulty we have is that it is a university club and at the start of term we are overwelmed with new students (and thus complete beginners often have to train together). It can make it very difficult and slow to start off with, so starting with strikes and gradually introducing basic techniques seems to maintain a good pace of training and also keep their interest.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Ben Joiner
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Wales

Having some previous striking experience myself I am 100% in agreeance with this. I think it's the simplest way that most people especially newbies could improve the level of their practise. I have been agitating about this during beer waza for the past few months.

Ben
Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Ben Joiner wrote:
Having some previous striking experience myself I am 100% in agreeance with this. I think it's the simplest way that most people especially newbies could improve the level of their practise. I have been agitating about this during beer waza for the past few months.

Ben
And don't we know it.....

I certainly fall into the camp that sees this as an essential component for any rounded MA and definitely advocate focus pad or heavy bag work on a regular basis for anyone serious about defending themselves.

I also am keen on sparring for fitness, working under pressure and dealing with adrenaline.

I'm not so keen on introducing this as part of a regular class and prefer to generally separate it for my private practice.

My feeling is that the reality of recieving a gift on the jaw is too heavy a distraction particularly for beginners and in some ways conflicts with the philosophy of aikido being more of a controlling art than an out an out offensive one.

I also feel that too much emphasis on finishing strikes can effectively terminate an attack (not a bad thing of course) but then eliminate the need for the reast of the move and thus impede the study of aikido.

With this in mind I keep my personal objectives outside of the dojo as much as possible.

Of course if one view of aikido is that its exactly the same as all other arts then by all means practice the most effective and lethal killing moves and do away with all this fluffy irimi tenkan wrist grabby nonsense.

Each to their own.

Regards

D

ps. If you'd been in the senior class last night Ben you would have been sparring albeit in a very controlled manner!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Pad practice is a good idea. You can learn how to get speed and power, improve reactions etc.,

Also a great benefit is that during normal practice, if you do happen to land a strike, you are now capable of avoiding injuries, such your wrist collapsing on a punch for example. Because, you are used to the sensation of you hand/foot actually hitting something. You learn to form the techniques correctly.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

I love focus mit practice.
So much more alive than regular bag work.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
zenmonkey

Striking should be studied with the same principles as aikido itself. The strikes become movements, thus sustaining the peace within and without. One should focus these movements according to pressure point principles in order to maximize their effectivness.

My opinion