Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Xing

Australia
Question Exercises?

Embarrassing to say , I just started Aikido. After my lessons, the next day my forearms, thighs and buttocks were in major pain >_>.

I was wondering, are there any simple exercises to help with it <_< as my physique is weaker in those areas.

Or even any exercises to help when not training in Aikido?

Many Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Exercises?

Quote:
Andy Ngo wrote: View Post
Embarrassing to say , I just started Aikido. After my lessons, the next day my forearms, thighs and buttocks were in major pain >_>.

I was wondering, are there any simple exercises to help with it <_< as my physique is weaker in those areas.

Many Thanks.
Pay some money and ask a professional masseuse to give you a good body massage.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Not an expert, but from my own experiance:

For the moment, any light excersise should help you to feel better. Take a short walk, flip your arms a little.

Nothing fast, nothing strong. Just light movement to make your blood flow better. It should feel like a light warm up.

Any excersise you will start now, to strenthen those muscles, would make you feel more pain first, due to the increase of strain on those area.

Amir
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
crbateman

Just walk a little and stretch a little every day. Your body is experiencing activity to which it is not accustomed. Given a little time, it will adjust. Be patient. And do not be embarrassed that you are just starting. We all "just started" at one time or another.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Xing

Australia

Okay, thanks all ^_^
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Yep, welcome to origami with people, learning to blend and become one with the mat.

If what you are feeling is just the aches of doing something new, then relax and train on. You body will become accustomed to the activity.

General conditioning is always a great idea.

Consult professionals if you feel you are injured.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Try some yoga on the days you don't do aikido. Ashtanga seems to be pretty vigorous.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Try some yoga on the days you don't do aikido. Ashtanga seems to be pretty vigorous.

Best,
Ron
Yoga? I thought you Yoshinkan-ers were hard style? Yoga sounds more aiki-bunny type exercising. (Just Kidding!)

Seriously, I find stretching does help some. Haven't tried Yoga, but besides Ron, other people have also suggested it. Seems to be a good suggestion.

Mark
Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

FWIW I've long been a proponent of secondary exercise outside the dojo. I don't go to the dojo to "get in shape", I go to learn Aikido. We do some warmups which really helps, but I find that time on the elliptical along with light weight training, core exercises and light stretching have gone a long way to keep me feeling strong.

As I hit my mid-40's I also managed to get a back injury along with some other nagging problems. Finally I took someone else's advice and found a professional masseuse. The first month I went about weekly then tapered back to every other week. I wish I could afford to do it weekly but monthly will probably do. For me it is partly what I do for a living being hunched over and straining on things all day. My shoulders, back and neck take a beating and going to Aikido often helps me loosen up. But I'm finding now that I need to do more to stay healthy. And massage has been a god-send lately. Not to mention the fact that as a stress relief it is also fantastic.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hey Keith,

I'll second the massage recommendation...definately worth while!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Massages - Thirded, they rock and make a huge difference.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Massages - Thirded, they rock and make a huge difference.
you don't usually see a massage table setup at the seminars. you would thought that would be a good place to make some money. you could even make some deal with the teaching sensei, if said sensei would spent half of the seminar on lots of airborne techniques, then said sensei would get 30% of the profit. one man's pain is another man's opportunity. one man's Do is another man's Dough.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
DonMagee
United_States

I highly recommend adding stretching and mild strength training to any physical activity.

Always get properly warmed up before stretching or any activity that is physical. Also always do a full cool down. This will reduce injury to your body.

And the reason for the strength training is that stronger muscles are less prone to injury. This does not mean body building, but strength training. I never really took this all that seriously, but my doctor said one of the main reasons for my shoulder injury was that I was focused on flexibility without doing the proper strength exercises to keep my shoulder muscles strong enough to stabilize my shoulder.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

I'd know that many professional athletes incorporate massage therapy as part of their recovery program.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
... For me it is partly what I do for a living being hunched over and straining on things all day.
Oh please ... enlighten us!
I'm finding it so hard to resist some smutty entendre.

Back on topic ;
Hey Andy, that Aikido WAS the exercise.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #16
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
FWIW I've long been a proponent of secondary exercise outside the dojo. I don't go to the dojo to "get in shape", I go to learn Aikido. We do some warmups which really helps, but I find that time on the elliptical along with light weight training, core exercises and light stretching have gone a long way to keep me feeling strong.
Keith hit the nail on the head. I also cross-train, for the same reasons. I find that endurance aerobic training has made the most fundamental improvement to my Aikido. I used to hit the weights pretty hard, and while I didn't lose flexibility, my mat time/injury ratio kept going the wrong way. When I backed off the weights some, things got better, so I try to keep from getting too pumped up. (Don't misinterpret me here, I have never come close to resembling a bodybuilder).

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
CarrieP

United_States

Hi. I am also new, been training (almost) two months. I have found that the stretches that we do at the start of class are very helpful to soothe sore muscles.

Even in two months, I am noticing that my own soreness is getting a bit less and certain things are becoming easier for me to do. So hang in there!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Andy Ngo wrote: View Post

Many Thanks.
I haven't read any of the replies yet so sorry if this is repetitive, but I think the key in the beginning is to do as much mild activity as possible: regular, mild exercise like walking or swimming.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
Cypher
Dojo: Yoseikan Dojo, Dunn, NC
United_States

[quote=Andy Ngo;196109]Embarrassing to say , I just started Aikido. After my lessons, the next day my forearms, thighs and buttocks were in major pain >_>.

I was wondering, are there any simple exercises to help with it

Stretching and resting is the best thing you can do between your classes, if you dont give your body time to heal from all the wear and tear of aikido it can cause major damage, so just relax on your free time, dont worry aikido will develop you muscles and all the pain will go away.

Tony,