Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #176
Tinyboy344

United_States
Re: Seiseki Abe Sensei video....whats going on here?

Aikido is.... magical... WOOSH!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #177
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Stefan
You missed the point entirely.
Hi Dan,
Would you be willing to rephrase it or spell it out a bit more? I missed your meaning as well.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #178
eyrie

Australia

Well I thought that was pretty clear... as my teacher used to say... it's all Aikido. One and the same. This "my style, your style, our style" thing is not only divisive, but irrelevant. Everybody does things differently, but at its heart, it is one and the same Aikido.

What Dan's saying is that the comparison should not be of form and style, but whether your aiki-do is strong or weak in comparison. If you were to remove "aikido" all together, is what you know good enough to hold water?

Ignatius
Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #179
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Well I thought that was pretty clear... as my teacher used to say... it's all Aikido. One and the same. This "my style, your style, our style" thing is not only divisive, but irrelevant. Everybody does things differently, but at its heart, it is one and the same Aikido.

What Dan's saying is that the comparison should not be of form and style, but whether your aiki-do is strong or weak in comparison. If you were to remove "aikido" all together, is what you know good enough to hold water?
Well clearly what's clear to one isn't to another. I'm glad you got it though since you're able to point out what now seems a bit more obvious to me. I think I just get a little too microscopic and literal-minded sometimes. The rest of his post made sense to me; it was just the idea that "there's one Aikido" (the proper noun instead of the generic term threw me) that I remembered being confused by the first time I read it. Apparently I wasn't the only one. I was just hoping something more than "you don't get it" would be offered to explain it.
So Dan was saying whatever you're doing, you need to compare it with others in terms of effectiveness, while Stefan was saying it's pointless to compare certain approaches at all?
As an aside, i don't think it's divisive to compare styles/approaches unless we make it so. I've personally found it useful.
Thanks, eyrie,
matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #180
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I've been thinking that as soon as we remove the fully resisting opponent, we take a step toward the no-touch throws like in this vid. So to argue for training with and uke is in essence the same argument as saying why the need to touch them at all.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #181
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote: View Post
I've been thinking that as soon as we remove the fully resisting opponent, we take a step toward the no-touch throws like in this vid. So to argue for training with [an] (?) uke is in essence the same argument as saying why the need to touch them at all.
I don't think they're the same. My limited understanding is that no-touch stuff is about psychological leading and positioning, which I think is a part of Aikido. I think it can very easily lead to preprogramming instead of organic interaction, but that simply doing them doesn't preclude that organic interaction.

Gambarimashyo!