Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
youmeusthemtogether
Dojo: Goshindo
United_States
Translation

I would appreciate if anyone could help with the translation of these words or point me to a source with these following nouns and verbs into Kanji or similar:
Truth/True

Balance

Path/Road

Traveler/Journeyman/Sojourner

Revealed/Revelation

Disciple

Seeker - Search

Decieved/Deception/False
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Translation

Quote:
James Barnhill wrote: View Post
I would appreciate if anyone could help with the translation of these words or point me to a source with these following nouns and verbs into Kanji or similar:
Truth/True

Balance

Path/Road

Traveler/Journeyman/Sojourner

Revealed/Revelation

Disciple

Seeker - Search

Decieved/Deception/False
You might try http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html

Best,

Chris

Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
akiy

Google Translate does a pretty decent job, too.

http://translate.google.com/#en/ja/

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Adam Huss

United_States

Depending on what you want to use these terms for; compiling sayings, phrases for scrolls or tattoos, etc...you may want to ensure grammatical agreement so you are getting the proper definition in the proper context. Some of the free online translation websites offer consultation by a professional speaker of that language for a fee. For example path and road can mean very different things in different context and may be represented by different kanji. Anyway, I use Google Translate, and others, frequently and have always noticed the "for a live xyz, click here!" messages pop up. Maybe something worth looking into. Also would do research on whatever path you take, particularly if it costs money, so you know you aren't being scammed.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
youmeusthemtogether
Dojo: Goshindo
United_States

Huss, Akiyama, Li,

Thank you all. I will take your advice. Adam Huss, yes your point on contextual accuracy was my main concern. If you all are curious the translations I am searching for are for character names fictional institutions and character development for short stories or parables I am beginning to write.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
James Barnhill wrote: View Post
Huss, Akiyama, Li,

Thank you all. I will take your advice. Adam Huss, yes your point on contextual accuracy was my main concern. If you all are curious the translations I am searching for are for character names fictional institutions and character development for short stories or parables I am beginning to write.
In that case I would pay a translator to make sure they are appropriate. I have seen a lot of authors try to get clever with Japanese names and come out looking silly for it.