Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #26
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
Lol Gene I love that statement. A blessing and a curse all in one concise sentence. Brilliant.
:
Thanks Larry. More importantly thank you for what you wrote. Because to me it was less a rant and more a rather clear observation.
Gene
Old 07-19-2005, 07:06 AM   #27
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
The Roman Catholic Church-state rejects the Bible as the sole authority in all matters of religion. Catholicism rests its faith on the Pope, human traditions, and the blasphemous magisterium.

The Bible alone is the sole Axiom of the Christian faith. The Bible alone is the Word of God.
Luke 6-27&28&29:
"But I say to you who are listening: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you, pray for those who calumniate you."
Monty from this Catholic to you," A blessing to you and I pray for you. I pray that you will live in interesting times."
Gene

p.s. I wonder is there a prayer that asks for protection from trolls?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #28
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

The times are very interesting, Mr. Martinelli. I don't see how that's a curse in any way...and if it was...some Christian you are! LOL! Look...the Pope was wrong for attending mosques and hindu temples and bowing to whatever deity it was that he bowed to. That's wrong...why is it wrong? Because the Bible tell us that we shall not worship any graven images or sit in the council of sinners. Now...I have many muslim friends, one of which lives in Uzbekistan. We've been friends for about 3 years now. We talk about the differences and the few similarities between Islam and Judeo-Christian theology. Again...we're very good friends and we're both rediculously devout about what we believe in. She's still a Muslim...and I'm still and always will be a Christian. Now...we don't argue or yell at each other or insult each other...then we wouldn't be friends would we? However...I would not go to her mosque whether here in the states or over there in her country because that is wrong, understand? Now...if she ever wanted to come to my church...she's more than welcome to come...but she most likely will not...because she feels it's wrong and against her faith, understand? The answer to world peace isn't to agree with what everyone says and mix all our doctrines, traditions, and beliefs just because we're afraid of hurting other people's feelings...but rather...agreeing to disagree and still be friends that are willing to help each other out, understand? 'Cause if we were all to practice universal ecumenism...we'd have nothing to believe in or cherish that is our own...we'd all be the same, understand? So...God Bless you Mr. Martinelli and I pray that the Holy Spirit truly convicts your heart and opens your eyes to truth found in the Living Word of God and that His blessings may fall upon you and your household like a monsoon in Asia!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #29
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Aren't Monsoons a force of nature capable to taking innocent lives? Hmmm ... A blessing and a curse at the same time?!?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Mr. Collier! Your knowledge of true Christianity and apologetics is great...but...not all Catholics are screwed up...James Caviezel...the actor who acted as Jesus in the "Passion of the Christ" is a Catholic who has much knowledge of the scriptures and is truly driven by the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Anywho...again...I commend you on your knowledge and I pray blessings upon you!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #31
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

No...a curse it is not, Mr. Miranda...a monsoon brings heavy rains and I pray that the blessings that fall upon Mr. Martinelli be like a heavy rainfall, understand? That's a good thing.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #32
Steven

United_States

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
No...a curse it is not, Mr. Miranda...a monsoon brings heavy rains and I pray that the blessings that fall upon Mr. Martinelli be like a heavy rainfall, understand? That's a good thing.
Heavy rains can also cause major flooding and death, understand? That's a bad thing.

BTW: personal attacks on fellow members on this forum are prohibited. Please remember the forum rules.

"Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forum members with respect"

That's both the Christian and Aiki thing to do .. and the rules.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #33
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
p.s. I wonder is there a prayer that asks for protection from trolls?
I don't think so, but there are some rather interesting curses that could apply...like:

Quote:
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits and other hairy parts...
Kindly provided by Ron's brother during our teen years...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #34
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

I happen to be Catholic also. Surprising how many Catholics there are here.

Anyway i'm 15 years old and have been catholic my whole life , alot of my family is catholic. To me the important thing is not to mix religion with martial arts. I think aikido is based upon good morals but i dont think that should mean it should be considered a religion. Catholicism (or any christian reiligion for that matter) of course frowns upon violence as a means of hurting another person, but aikido is not meant for hurting others. It is actually the opposite , it is meant for defending yourself WITHOUT hurting others.

This is why i think its fine to be doing martial arts and still be religious. Theres nothing wrong with it as long as you are doing it for the right reasons.

-paige
Old 07-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #35
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Heavy rains can also cause major flooding and death, understand? That's a bad thing.

BTW: personal attacks on fellow members on this forum are prohibited. Please remember the forum rules.

"Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forum members with respect"

That's both the Christian and Aiki thing to do .. and the rules.

Yes...but I didn't mean it as a curse (because curses are from satan, moron). If you tell someone that you want blessings to fall on them like a heavy rain like what a monsoon can bring, you're telling them that you want many blessings to fall on them. Maybe I shouldn't have used that analogy 'cause you're a moron, Mr. Miranda and have the IQ of a 2 year old. No offense. Ciao!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #36
guest89893
United_States

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
So...God Bless you Mr. Martinelli and I pray that the Holy Spirit truly convicts your heart and opens your eyes to truth found in the Living Word of God and that His blessings may fall upon you and your household like a monsoon in Asia!
Please call me Gene. The students in my classroom call me Mr. Martinelli. I thank you for the offering of the blessing. What I quoted from the Bible was as much a reminder to you as it was to myself. The reason the Pope could walk in and prayer at a Mosque, was it's location and connection to Christ. The reason the Pope could walk up and pray at the Temple wall because it was the Temple that Jesus had entered. It was a way to acknowledge both the differences and the opportunity to show we can all live in peace.
Mr. Rodriquez I wish you peace. May the Love of God fill thy heart , may the Holy Spirit bath you in the light of God's Wisdom, and may the Way of Jesus be your path. Amen

P.S. Ron my brother had the same curse too.
Steven interesting twist with the water, that is the heart of this isn't it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #37
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Thanks, Gene!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #38
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

By the way...my apologies to Mr. Miranda for the name calling...I got a little out of hand and totally broke the rules by disrespecting you. You are right about the rules there...I just got a little frustrated by someone implying that I'm trying to bring harm upon another person by "cursing" them...I just wouldn't do such a thing.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #39
aikigirl10
United_States

Alan, you speak of how wrong it was for the Pope to sin.

We are all sinners. Have you never sinned?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #40
Steven

United_States

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
By the way...my apologies to Mr. Miranda for the name calling...I got a little out of hand and totally broke the rules by disrespecting you. You are right about the rules there...I just got a little frustrated by someone implying that I'm trying to bring harm upon another person by "cursing" them...I just wouldn't do such a thing.
First, the name is Steven, not Mr. Miranda. Among brothers in faith and budo, formality such as this is not needed. Second, your apology to me is not needed, but accepted.

... and for the record, I'm well aware of your intentions in your blessings. I guess now you know a little bit about how it feels to be accused of being all these horrible things, just because one is Catholic. You see, in the eyes of many, not you, I'm already damned to hell because I'm catholic. Great, I'll see you there. (not you, but those that do the damning) I'm judged on that fact alone. Hell, all my life I've been judged on the fact that not only was I Catholic, I am a Puerto Rican and from New York. Most people where I grew up only new about PR's from West Side Story. So by default, we were all just a bunch of gang bangers looking for trouble. The neighborhood went to hell when the Catholic PR's from New York moved in.

The lesson here is, people should not judge people because of their religion, as so many do. How unAikido and unChristian like is that. Yet these same people claim to be Christians. Well at least in word. Funny how someone can claim to be Christian and in the same breath, damn someone and pass judgment on others because of what they believe is wrong. These people are great at quoting scripture. Problem is, they don't practice what they preach. I wonder at times if these people can walk on water and/or if I nailed them to a tree, or street post, they would reappear three days later after their death. At the rate they pass judgement, one would think they were left in charge.

This thread was not about this religion versus that religion. It wasn't about whether what the Pope did was right or wrong, based on whatever criteria is used. It was about what Catholics thought about practicing Aikido and about incorporating some the KI teachings. Or is that KEY teachings. I always get that mixed up. However, that's not the path this thread took.

I can go on for days telling everyone about what I think of this religion versus that one over there. But why bother. In the end, it's your personal relationship with God or whoever you want to worship that matters. I try to live my faith everyday, in everything I do and say, but God knows, I'm not perfect, nor will I ever claim to be. When my day of judgment comes, it's not going to matter what anyone here on this forum thinks of me. I'll have my day and when that day comes, my maker and I will sit and talk and he .. or she .. will decide my fate. Not anyone here.

In my dojo, we have all walks of faith and non-faith. We all co-exist in perfect harmony because we respect each other as individuals, as I do folks on this forum. So you're welcome to my dojo any time, as long as you leave your ego's an opinions out side the dojo and come to practice and fellowship.

Now if anyone takes this post as an attack on them, get a grip. No offense is intended, nor am I speaking of any one individual or persons. I'm attempting to speak in general terms.

If you're still offended, well, I can't help you. You'll just have to deal with it.

With that, I'm done. Flame away all you'd like. As far as I'm concerned, no harm, no foul! Life is too short to let such matters rule your life and thoughts. Like I said earlier, "It's only a problem if you want it to be."

Peace to all ...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #41
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Excellent post Steven.

Happy training.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #42
aikigirl10
United_States

Steven .... I Love You. I know EXACTLY what you mean. You just said exactly what i've been trying to tell 'those who damn' for my entire life. I could not have put it any better myself. Its like you read my mind.

If you ever need anyone to talk to about your religion or faith , im right here.

-Paige
Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #43
aikigirl10
United_States

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
. Plus...most (not all) Catholics don't even read the Bible anyway...some don't even go to mass! They think that just because their great grandfather's pet hamster was Catholic that they are Catholic and that they're going to Heaven for "being good." Anyway...you have any questions e-mail me. I could inform you very well.

Alan, you accuse Most Catholics of never reading the Bible and never going to mass. You speak as if only Catholics are guilty of this. I happen to know plenty (plenty is an understatement) of Protestants who guilty of this as well. I not saying that what u said was wrong , but dont just target Catholics when others are guilty as well .
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #44
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

"If you and I are so stupid as not to be able to understand the Bible, but need priests, bishops, and popes to tell us what it means, are we not also too stupid to understand what the priests say? If we cannot understand the First Epistle of Peter--and the Romanists claim that Peter was the first pope--how can we understand contemporary papal letters? Indeed, a reading of the papal encyclicals may convince us that it is easier to understand Peter and Paul."
(What Do Presbyterians Believe?, Gordon H. Clark, page 23, Trinity Foundation)
www.trinityfoundation.org

Red Beetle
www.kingsportjudo.com
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 AM   #45
Patrick O'Regan
Australia

Gene wrote:

Quote:
I wonder is there a prayer that asks for protection from trolls?

Hi Gene, if there was one it would be a silent prayer...if you get my meaning .

Love your neighbour.

cheers

Last edited by Patrick O'Regan : 07-20-2005 at 05:06 AM. Reason: missed quote

Paddy
Old 07-20-2005, 06:43 AM   #46
guest89893
United_States

[quote=Monty Collier(What Do Presbyterians Believe?, Gordon H. Clark, page 23, Trinity Foundation)
[url]www.trinityfoundation.org[/url]
You may not have noticed Monty but, you have your torch and your pitchfork and your pointing at us an accusing. But your standing here among us alone Monty. The villagers are not coming.
Alan has shown himself to be a Christian, as has Larry, Steven, and Paige, as well as others on this thread. But you Monty have tried only to sow Chaos , trying to turn brother from brother. Hiding cleverly behind articles from several different religious sources- Presbyterians, Lutheran - for the purpose of only causing hate. It is clear what you are, Monty. We do not label you, Monty, you marked yourself and shown us who really is the Beast.

Peace to all,
Gene

p.s. Your right Paddy, it is a silent prayer in'it
Steven, Nicely written, nicely done. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #47
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

Do you not find it strange
Is it not very odd
There is so much destruction
In the name of God

Does it really matter
Catholic, Protestant, Muslim or Jew
Would He have put us here
If only He knew

We kill for justice
For peace we fight
So much wrong done
To make things right

And here we sit typing
All friends in Aiki
And still there is discord
How stupid are we

The Path of Harmony
We study each day
It seems that even we
Have lost our way

If O'Sensei could only see us now...............
Old 07-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #48
aikigirl10
United_States

Very good Larry. Did you write that?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #49
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

yes...it came to me as I was reading the posts.....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #50
akiy

Hi folks,

Let's try to stick to the original subject of this thread which is in regards to aikido and Catholicism/Christianity, especially in regards to "the spiritual aspects of Aikido and some thoughts about ki." If you wish to discuss the relative and comparative merits or lack thereof of certain religions, please take that discussion to the Open Discussions forum. Lastly, please do remember the first Forum Rule of AikiWeb is, "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forum members with respect."

There are also other threads on this topic that may interest those participating in this thread:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7870
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!