Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Hurricane Katrina Relief Donations

Posted 2005-08-31 15:36:29 by Jun Akiyama

With news and images coming in of the devestation caused by Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, Mississippi, and other Gulf Coast states in the United States, I thought I'd take this space to encourage people to send in a donation to help with the relief effort. I just sent in a donation to the Red Cross myself.

Lists of government and private agencies helping out in this effort may be found here,
here, and
here.

My thoughts go out to everyone affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Hurricane Katrina Relief Donations

I really would like to ask people to help out. They really need cash donations. I live in South Florida and experienced Katrina as a Category 1. A week ago we had no clue this storm would end up this bad. Please also pray, meditate, or send positive thoughts for the well-being, saftey of the people who suffered and are still suffering from the aftermath of this storm.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #3
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Thanks, Jun for making this info so accessible. It helps to have a link to go to to help take care of this. I've been thinking about it for days and not sure where to go.

Jeanne
Old 09-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

My company gives matching donations, so I'll go through them, but this is a good thing to post.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
akiy

Ron brings up a good point. Some employers these days have a matching program when people donate to non-profit organizations and such. It's worth it to check with your human resources department to see if your employer does such a thing if you're thinking of donating.

In any case, I hope people are willing to help those out in this time of need. Please help.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
toyamabarnard
Dojo: International Budo Ryokukai (I've been away for some time)
United_States

My thoughts prayers go out to all affected by this. My Brother in law is on the way down now (he works for a tree service) and I send donations, but I was wondering if there were something more we could do in this community. Memebers come from all over the world here. Maybe at least go in to the Dojo and ask about getting everyone together to donate or sending a truck of water or whatever we can do. I just feel somewhat useless about sending a check and thinking I did my part. I'm no great organizer, but I'll help in any way I can.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
giriasis
United_States

Having a dojo fundraiser would be a good idea. You could do a collection or have a mini-seminar and the seminar fee could go to the American Red Cross. The American Red Cross is begging for monetary donations so they can buy exactly what they need.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
toyamabarnard
United_States

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, I just don't know how to try and get it started. I haven't even set foot in a Dojo in a few years, much less a seminar. I just feel like I should be doing......something......
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
giriasis
United_States

I feel like I should be doing something, too, but I feel rather helpless that I can't do much other than donate some money. I guess the best thing you can do is send something with your brother. Maybe your brother might end up meeting some people who need help and you could send items down to him.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
toyamabarnard
United_States

I work in a cell phone store attached to a dollar store and I'm talking with those guys about getting their prices on sending maybe a truck of water or something....not that it really matters in this situation, but it is a tax write off for the business..... Maybe I can figure out something good to do
Old 09-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
akiy

Hi folks,

Personally, I think it's a good idea to see if your dojo is willing to put together some sort of "benefit" seminar to help send donations to a relief organization. I'm pretty sure that people would be willing to get together for a day seminar and put in a donation for that day's training to go towards helping those affected by the hurricane.

Likewise, if you're part of a community outside of aikido, I'm sure some sort of event can be organized in the same manner. A friend of mine is helping put together, of all things, a series of online poker tournaments with all (or nearly all) proceeds (including matrching contributions from the company putting it one) going towards relief donations.

Just as in the days and weeks after the Southern Asia tsunami struck late last year, it seems monetary contributions are much more necessary than material (water, food, etc) by the relief organizations. I'm sure that relief organizations are doing their best to help those in need, and they most likely have the experience and knowledge to better procure, organize, and distribute needed materials than we do.

In any case, I hope people in the AikiWeb and also in the general aikido community do what they can do to help.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!