Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
silent one
Philippines
injury

hi there everyone im a newbie (4th kyu). i just suffered my first injury on the wrist after a very eager nage performed a nikkyo on my right hand. i am just wondering on how experienced guys felt after their very first injury. how it affected them physically and psychologically.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
csinca

Dojo: Various
United_States
Re: injury

My wrist was dislocated by a nidan going for sandan during his test.

It hurt, I got my wrist reset after the test and I probably iced it. Then I moved on with life

Chris
Old 06-09-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

My first injury in Aikido was my poor poor ego. Having studied a little of a couple other arts, I thought I was pretty good. Then, my first Sensei greeted this new Aikido student with,

"So you want to learn Aikido? Please do a forward roll for me. OK...Not bad. Now do a backward roll for me. Again, not bad. Now please do them up and down the mat while we practice."

This continued for a couple weeks. Let me tell you.......My stomache and ego both suffered!!!
But, I found that after a while, my ego was something I could do with a lot less of. And when thrown, well....I did not suffer any serious injury. But my stomache still balks a bit when I do too many rolls. Old age is not fun!!!!

So, my ego was my first injury. And except for a couple minor bumps and bruises, that one can get playing Full-Contact-Golf, I have not had any real sserious injuries since I started Aikido
Old 06-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Fritz Cane wrote:
i just suffered my first injury on the wrist after a very eager nage performed a nikkyo on my right hand. i am just wondering on how experienced guys felt after their very first injury. how it affected them physically and psychologically.
Hi, Fritz.
When you say injury, do you mean badly bruised, or do you mean you have a self-diagnosed injury, probably tendon, that needs RICE and time off, or do you mean you have been to the doctor and gotten a diagnosis and treatment? Because the scenario on all three is pretty different.
In brief, if it is an injury that hurts after a day, you should at least assume it is a soft tissue injury that will need 6 to 8 weeks to heal. You can resume training earlier, but need to avoid movement/strain to the wrist similar to the one that caused the injury, otherwise you run the risk of reinjuring and turning an acute injury into a chronic one.
The approach I find best is to stay philosophical--that is,unless the injury was the result of malice or deliberate non-attention to you, accept it as part of training, and accept that "eye-waza" and limited training are also valid forms of training until you are 100% better.
Best of luck.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, first injuries can prove the effectiveness of Aikido. Its also a great opportunity for you to learn about yourself. If you heal up and train, my compliments. If you become fear based and avoid training, perhaps the martial aspects are not for you. Injuries are part of training. Don't take it too seriously or too personally. Learn from it.

Relax, breathe, and enjoy yourself. Now, get back on the mat and do what you can.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

My first injury (wrist over-enthusiastically sankyo'd) stayed with me and affected my training for the next 6 years - all because I had no idea how to treat it and was never taught at my first dojo how to protect myself with ukemi. If you got hurt there, it was ignored by everyone else, and considered to be your own fault. I finally left due to the inconsiderate way beginners were treated, having discovered that it wasn't like that at other dojos.

Now I know how to look after my wrists, and how to protect myself with ukemi. But then I'm no longer a 19 year old newbie and have trained at many other dojos since then..

How is your Sensei / dojo mates responding to your injury? If you're new / lower kyu grade, they should be giving you some help and advice. If not - start looking for a new dojo!

Ruth
Old 06-10-2004, 06:15 AM   #7
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

At my dojo, Shobu Aikido Boston, Overly aggresive application of technique is not smiled upon. When new students come to class, there has always been a great deal of attention and care paid to them. Helping a new student with technique...and helping a new student just to overcome the fear of "looking silly" is part of dojo life.

A dojo without students is an empty room
Old 06-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I've had a few bruises, bust lips, stetched tendon from nikyo but the only serious injury was about 6 weeks ago when I had my index finger cut open with a katana, no pain but lots of bloodloss which kind of worried me so I went to hospital, had 4 stitches and luckily the cut had just missed the tendon. I missed one training session and then resumed training as normal, just had to watch the hand and keep it out of the way when taking ukemi but its back to normal now Overall it was a positive experiance I spose.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
silent one
Philippines

janet: i think its the 1st scenario. probably stretched tendon. im going to a doctor this afternoon to get it checked.

ruth: the folks in the dojo are very helpful. they told me to rest it for a week or until it gets fine.

i just hope the injury is not that serious. im raring to get back to the mat.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
gilsinnj

Dojo: Aikido Mt. Airy
United_States

My first real injury in Aikido was a straining a ligament in my knee. I'd been hurt before, but this was the first time I had to visit the doctor and was off the mat for an extended period of time (2 months no practice, 6 months light practice).

I over-extended myself while attacking my Sempai during a tski kota gaeshi. We practice on the standard blue excercise/tumbling mats, which can be sticky and very spongy. When my Sempai performed the kota gaeshi, my upper body turned, but my foot remained planted. I strained one fo the ligaments in my knee. (This really sucked because I still had to drive my stick shift truck 20 miles home from the dojo. )

I've had a few other actual injuries requiring medical attention, including a partially separated shoulder. But, they are starting to become much less frequent as I become a better uke and learn to break fall out of almost anything.

-- Jim
Old 07-01-2004, 12:31 AM   #11
Jessie Brown
United_States

I want to address the last part of Fritz's question about how injuries effect us psychologically, regarding after-effects. Returning to the mat after injuries always effects a person- it's only a matter of how. And to clarify, by injury I don't mean a bruise or a sore shoulder; I mean an injury that severely inhibits practice and can require healing for weeks or months.

The effects can be completely irrational. A couple years ago, I sprained and fractured my right ankle in practice. I had to refrain from the mat until the doctor cleared me after several weeks. When I started again, I found myself being more cautious and taking techniques more slowly. The strangest effect was that I couldn't make myself do left forward rolls. If nage threw me, it would be fine. But in solo practice, I would just stand there for 20 minutes trying to make myself roll and I just couldn't. To analyze myself, I would imagine this is because getting injured took my self-confidence down a notch.

Every recovery is different, but I've found that following Wendy Palmer Sensei's advice works for me (albeit given in a different context). Experiment and find out where you are and what you're comfortable with doing, and also what you know you can't do...yet. Find your newly-defined comfort zone then go a little past it, but not to the panic stage. Then get comfortable with that new boundary. Then push it up a little again. And so on until you're back to where you were.

Having the little goals can make it manageable because it can take a long time to fully recover, depending on the severity of the injury. We have to be patient with ourselves. Coincidentally, I'm now recovering from a much more serious injury that has kept me from getting on the mat at all for 9 weeks now. With another ~2 months to go before normal activity, having small goals helps me. I know I can't do any semblance of ukemi but I can do slow-motion weapons kata and work on balance and footwork. It all depends on the manner of the injury, but I'd bet there's some form of practice possible no matter what the injury.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but it's a topic that's-- for obvious reasons-- a topic of interest for me right now.