Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
"Learning Aikido by Watching Aikido Video"

Posted 2008-01-31 09:46:38 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.itfindhealth.com/learning...-aikido-video/

This blog entry entitled "Learning Aikido by Watching Aikido Video" asserts, "If you are interested in learning aikido but do not have the time to attend classes in dojos or you are short of cash to enroll in an aikido class, then purchasing an aikido video would be suitable for you. By buying several aikido videos, you can learn the basic principles of martial arts. You can even learn the different aikido techniques and practice these in the comfort of your own place."

What are your thoughts on this subject, folks?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Re: "Learning Aikido by Watching Aikido Video"

The most overly optimistic statement I've heard yet in 2008.

I personally enjoy watching Nishio Sensei's videos. Am I learning his style from them? ...No.

Maybe once I have a stronger foundation of the basic principles (and am able to observe from a more aware and informed standpoint), I might be able to understand and incorporate the various nuances of various individual's styles by watching video of them. But that is a big "maybe", and possibly completely unrealistic.

I think that trying to get that strong foundation from a video is firmly in the realm of the impossible.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
dps

As a supplement to training, yes. As a solo means of learning Aikido from the beginning, no way.

At the karate school where my children and I took lessons we had an instructor who was a third degree blackbelt. She also was the competition team coach. One day I overheard her say she was learning Aikido. I watch as she taught Aikido to the competition team, her movements were very awkward. After class I went into the office to ask about who her Aikido sensei was. Sensei was a VHS machine and a stack of Aikido videos.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
crbateman

Snake oil...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

How does one expect to learn how to move effectively with uke by watching videos? And who would the watcher practice technique with? Aikido has WAY too many intricate movements that can NOT be learned by simply watching a video.

It also doesn't surprise me that the karate instructor looked so awkward. I studied TKD as a teenager; even re-adjusting my stance was a challenge.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

Your TV must have a Ki-filter in order to show the different teachers
Ki-movement !!!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Learn Aikido from a Video, this thread must have gotten crossed up with the Business and Budo one!

What I would suggest to a newer student is that if you are going to get video, for other than entertainment purposes, you should start with the 'leader' or a 'senior' in your particular style. Ask your teacher which would be appropriate. It can complement (at best) your personal instruction.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

I agree that vids are a useful supplement. I have learned much--unabashedly: MUCH from them.

But I'm not a beginner.

Actually, some empirical work was done on this in my field, Second Language Acquisition. They found that folks who'd begun with a teacher would continue much longer and with better results auto-didactically than those beginning just with materials.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I agree with Don, I think you can learn from videos. However, as he points out experience might be the factor. A while back there was a group selling aikido 2nd and 5th dans by video. I don't think you can teach your self the subtleties without feedback and correction. I got in contact with the guy and gave him my opinion of his bastardization of the art . He pulled the 5th dan but last I checked the 2nd dan was still being offered. Smaks of fraud to me.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

Wouldn't the cost of most DVDs and VHS tapes be about the same or more then a couple of months of Aikido in the dojo for most places?

I think video can be a good supplement to the mat but never a substitution.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

Video is an excellent aid in learning Aikido. But starting from scratch you can not learn Aikido strictly from video - especially not if you are just watching and do not have a partner training with you.

Even in class with a teacher, so many people make the same mistakes or have the same problem. Without correction, the techniques will never be developed correctly. And you can forget about ever developing a real feel for blending.

I am glad that I have my videos to look at after classes or semianrs, etc. I can also get some ideas by watching other videos. But learn the intracies of a new style: no way.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
SmilingNage
United_States

If you have Aikido experience videos you might benefit from viewing Aikido videos. My weapons understanding and training has greatly benefited from using Saito's weapons.When I was testing for Kyu ranks, Yamada's 3 set video helped me with testing requirements.

Aikido is a partner practice as well as one that needs to watched over by teacher. You might be able to pick up on the terminology and get a idea of what is expected of you during class. But without supervision, you wont be doing yourself any good.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Learning martial arts from a video.

Well, you can probably get a great overview of Aikido from a video. It would probably teach you to memorize the names of the techniques, so you could regurgitate the name when you see said technique.

It could probably teach you to recite what ever philosophy the tape maker has on Aikido, and you could regurgitate that as well. If you studied the tape well (and it's a good tape) you could probably get as far as 70% percent of the normal class going Aikidoka get-memorization and regurgitation.

However you're never going to learn anything physical like a martial art by just watching. It's going to require you to train with a friend to actually learn how to move. It is also very helpful to have an experienced person there to see your personal problems and talk you through them. You're never going to learn to apply Aiki (or Aikido technique) unless you actually do it, watching is only concept.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Some (perhaps over simplified, and too quick) anologies come to mind:

1 - Taking off, flying and landing an airplane, can all be learned by watching videos.
2 - Driving and parking an automobile (or any other vehicle) can be learned by watching videos. Even racing them can be learned by watching a video.
3 - Etc.

Also of note:
http://www.itfindhealth.com/tips-in-...aikido-school/

"Aikido is one of the oldest and most widely-used martial arts forms in the world.
It is being taught for centuries as a form of self-defense and protection." & "...A good aikido training school is needed to achieve this."

Lordy.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
grasshopperjim
Dojo: Bushido Martial Arts,Richmond Mi.
United_States

Hello everyone, actually I haven't posted in months, I've run out of money and have not been back to the dojo. I am going to make a de-
cision soon to return though, this is something I want to be involved in
for the rest of my life. I will just have to bite the bullet.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
TeleRock
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

As a beginner who has been training in Aikido for one month . . . there is no way I would be at the same place from one month of video.

For a beginner there is just way too much correction necessary. I think I'm doing the technique correctly everytime I practice it . . . and that's when the instructor points out that one little thing I wasn't paying attention to is incorrect or needs improvement. Simply mirroring what I've seen demonstrated to me was not enough . . . you need someone there to observe your attempts at learning.

That being said, I can already see some benefit from watching videos . . . but they are a compliment . . . not the basis.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post

Also of note:
http://www.itfindhealth.com/tips-in-...aikido-school/

"Aikido is one of the oldest and most widely-used martial arts forms in the world.
It is being taught for centuries as a form of self-defense and protection." & "...A good aikido training school is needed to achieve this."

Lordy.
Couldn't the writer at least post a few links to point the reader in the right path...like to this site?

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
David Yap
Malaysia

The following dialog never took place between Lingam and Jiru. but it did took place somewhere, sometime recently...

Lingam: Are you training this Friday?
Jiru: No.
Lingam: Why not? Haven't heard you to skip class before.
Jiru: I think I am going to skip the Friday trainings from now on. Sensei told us last week to bring our Jo and Bokken every Friday. I am not interested in his weapons class.
Lingam: Why? Sensei's class is always awesome. He is the most creative instructor in the valley, if not, in the whole country. His repertoire of techniques is endless.
Jiru: I'm just looking at Sensei's lineage prospectively. Sensei has never studied weaponry under a qualified or experienced teacher before. Where did he learn his bokken and jo techniques? I remember the weapon classes with H shihan but the few hours Sensei and I put in at these classes are the same. Maybe, he learns faster than the rest of us but I just feel that if he is qualified to teach weapons, then so do I. I have a feeling that he's going to teach us his own creation.
Lingam: Ha, ha, ha, ha now, tell me which of his techniques is not his own version or creation. You, of all people, are most awed by Sensei's techniques. You copied him down to every detail - including his mannerism. You do his techniques even in your sleep. Looking at Sensei's past training, he has not spent enough time with any particular teacher to have a legitimate lineage. But Sensei is unique and he is gifted like O Sensei (ha, ha, ha, ha).Sensei is quick learner and he only needs to watch a technique once to catch the underlying "tricks".
Jiru: Tricks?? What tricks? Sensei says there are no tricks in aikido.
Lingam: Sorry. Correct, correct, correct there are no tricks in aikido. You and I can sit in front of the TV for hours watching the video and we still cannot figure out the techniques shown.
Jiru: So, we will happily leave the watching video part to Sensei while we have more quality time for beers and talking c**ks.
Lingam: Correct. You know…I don't have the time for these nonsensical things brought up by Diyaba about the teachings of aikido principles are more important than aikido techniques. I am not bother about why a technique works, it only matters to me that it works. Bro, this is aikido in the real world. Why should I think? Out on the streets, I don’t have time to think. I bang, bang, bang...just like you would.
Jiru: I think age is catching up with Diyaba. He behaves like he is policeman for aikido. He coins that any dojo which does not have a proper lineage or a dojo that does not practice in an ethical context - a McDojo.
Lingam: Diyaba knows nuts about marketing. What he said may be the truth but the reality is whether anybody buys what he said? He talks a lot and he says that anyone can learn and teach from a video... but can he? He can show us a technique that came out from a video of a great shihan but still I will not be convinced. Sensei convinces me that a pig can climb tree – I will buy it. The bottom-line is charisma – that’s what aikido instructors need most in today market. Aikido needs people who know how to sell it.
Jiru: Just like you and Sensei.
Lingam: Correct, correct, correct. ha ha aha aha..

Last edited by David Yap : 02-06-2008 at 12:16 AM.