Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Progression

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I have been training in Aikido for about 10 months. I am now 5th kyu.

My brother commented that even though I had only been attending Aikido classes for 10 months, I had already graded twice. He felt that was very quick.

I do have a background in Kung Fu and my instructor had mentioned that I had natural coordination and 'flow'. How do you feel about my progression. Is it common?

Just curious.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 08-19-2003, 12:43 AM   #2
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
In my (Yoshokai) dojo at college, we grade every couple months, at least for the first ranks. (Until something like 4th kyu.) Then again, we have a 9-kyu system.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you need to fear going too fast. My current philosophy is that I test when I feel I can do a good job with whatever techniques are on the list. (There's always room for improvement, but when I get it down pretty well, I consider myself 'ready' to test on it.) However long that happens to take for any particular rank.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Most organizations have rapid grading timeframes in the beginning which then quickly spread out to 9 months to a year or more between ranks.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
i have had many students that has "zipped" up the low kyu ranks. So, i don't think it's strange at all.

Just make sure when you hit a plateau that you are able to realize it, and not get too frustrated. I have had this happen more than once.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Your progression is common.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #6
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Thumbs down

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm feeling a lot happier now.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 08-20-2003, 03:49 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Yep, when I started I progressed very quickly. However many people find they reach a plataeu. Don't be dissapointed when you reach this stage because you have been used to rapid progression - you have to work through it!

I have noticed whilst instructing that some people are good body mimics or have good coordination. However people who have poor coordination seem to take longer to learn but once it is ingrained it stays there forever - however I've only had a little experience instructing.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-20-2003, 04:03 AM   #8
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Shodokan wise and in my dojo, the first few grades (8th to 6th kyu) are done really fast. It's more to give biginners a taste of what's to come. You should be able to be a 6th kyu after six months.

Then it's at least 6 months between grades till 1 kyu. So, about 2 years to get to first kyu. Total of 3 years of Aikido.

Then it's at least a year before you can take the shodan exam. So, to get a shodan you have to train for at least 4 years.

Of course, some people manage to double grade especially at the start. It's easy to jump from kyuless to 7th or even 6th if you have done martial arts before.

Of course by the time you reach shodan, you realise that you still have a long long long way to go before understanding aikido. Which is fun if humbling.

``Don't quite, don't die.''

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-20-2003, 07:10 AM   #9
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Ians post reminds me of a Buddhist saying about the three types of horses (and pardon me if I don't write it absolutely correctly, it is a little hazy).

The first type of horse is fast and elegant; nimble and quick to learn. This horse runs fast and responds with merely a hint of leg or crop, like it can read it's riders mind.

The second kind of horse is steady and able but takes more directing and coaxing. This horse will do what it is asked, but not intuitively like the first.

The third type of horse is slow to learn, slow to move, doesn't seem to respond well. The rider often has to whip the horse into action.

If asked, almost everyone would prefer to be the first kind of horse, but ultimately all can prevail. The third horse, when it does learn, learns down to the marrow of its bones.

Again, I probably didn't relate this one exactly right, but the jist of it is here. Basically that it is okay to be the slow one, just as it is okay to be the fastest learner or the middle learner.

So, right now you are the first horse, but realize at some time you will be the second horse, and some times you will be the third. As long as you don't quit, you prevail.

Best,

Rachel