Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom
Tap Tap Tap...

So, I started a lunchtime class for some of my work colleagues and during the first class I was explaining some of the etiquette and teaching them how to roll etc... Just the normal everyday Aikido basics. I also explained about tapping, if something hurts you go tap tap tap...

Towards the end of the class one of my students is working with one of the newbies and all of a sudden everyone stopped dead and all of the aikido people pretty much fell about laughing because the new guy was stood there in a sankyo shouting 'tap tap tap'.

Probably had to be there, but it was funny as hell at the time .

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia
Re: Tap Tap Tap...

'TAP OR SNAP'
Seen printed down the entire leg of an MMA dude's gi pants, love it!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

That is funny. Once I told a student to slap out...he slapped me. ;o)

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

My first teacher once asked me to punch him just as he turned his back to me to address the class... Luckily I stopped just before the blow landed, everyone else thought it was funny, not so sure Tom would have seen the funny side, well, not initially.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

When I attended the AikiExpo in 2003, I was on the mat with Gaku Homma Sensei. Sensei was teaching sankyo and came to my partner and me to correct what we were doing. He took me into a very powerful sankyo and locked up my whole body. I was on my toes and remembered to start tapping. Unfortunately, I started tapping out by slapping Sensei on his shoulder. As I did, he increased the pressure a little and I increased the force of my taps a LOT!. He let go of me and I was mortified that I had been slapping Sensei hard, and as fast as the Little Drummer Boy. Me, a newbie smacking on a famous shihan!

Homma Sensei laughed out loud and said "Hurts, doesn't it?" No reply was necessary.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States

having started crosstraining in bjj, i have found myself in some instances where the other hand isnt available to tap. in such cases, actually saying "tap" is the next in line, and if its gotten to that point humor is usually absent
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

I remember very early in my career I was training with Bryan Bateman trying my best to execute a kote gaeshi standing pin when he said 'tap' to which I hit the back of his controlled hand, then 'tap, tap' - two hits tot he hand. This went on for a little while before a quite exasperated Bryan said 'look, I am laying on my hand, my feet are off the mat, I can not tap the mat so please listen when I say 'TAP!'' ...
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Dave Lewin wrote: View Post
having started crosstraining in bjj, i have found myself in some instances where the other hand isnt available to tap. in such cases, actually saying "tap" is the next in line, and if its gotten to that point humor is usually absent
That reminds me of a funny scene in Fight Quest, when training BJJ. The guy was being choked out, but couldn't tap because his arms couldn't reach the map in the lock, and being choked out he couldn't use his voice... he passed out on the show
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
DonMagee
United_States

Verbally taping is nothing new to me. I have screamed tap a few times in some dangerous situations.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein