Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Aikido research paper

Well, for my English class I have to do a research paper. I decided to do it on aikido, and its goal will be to answer these questions.

*What impact did WWII have on aikido and aikidoka?
*In what did the founder train before forming aikido?
*What is the current state of aikido in the world?
*When did aikido come to America?
*What's with the hakama (significance, origin)?

I'm sure between everyone here, I could have all of these questions answered in a matter of days, if not hours, but for once, I'm not looking for general answers. I have to use several sources, including books, magazine article, interview (optional), and internet.

I'd just like to know if anyone can reccommend any good resources (Heh, please don't point me to the articles on this site...I know they're there. Also, I will be using The Spirit of Aikido, for sure.) or if anyone knowledgable in any of those questioned areas would be willing to act as an interviewee for me.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
Dirty Dogi
Try browsing at http://www.aikidofaq.com/ they have some good info there as well.

Check out my personal Aikido Journal.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journal.php?
Old 02-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Michael Owen
Dojo: Richmond Aikido Kai
Check out "Invicible Warrior" by John Stevens.

Good luck on the paper.

Michael Owen

"All I'm sayin' man is that you've got to respect the chickens." -B. Hopkins
Old 02-28-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I believe Saotome's Principles of Aikido has a section on the hakama.

There was a good interview in ATM with Hikitsuchi sensei (10th dan) about the changes after the war. If you go to Last Chance Aikido's website (Clint George Sensei) I believe there is a link to it.

Good luck on your project.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #5
Veers

Anyone want to get interviewed? Forum or e-mail would work.

BTW, I picked up Aikido & Bokata at the library and it has an interesting forward about self-defense. Anyone else seen this? (Don't have time to type it all up now...)

Old 03-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I was watching Saito's Budo tape yesterday and he talked a little about the differences of pre WWII and post WWII aikido technique. He stated he wanted to develop another tape series on the differences (Budo was more pre wwII). Unfortunately, I don't believe he lived long enough to do so.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I don't know if it is explicit anywhere, but WWII (specifically the Japanese loss, the loss of faith in their emperor/god and the atmoic bomb) had a large impact on the Japanese, and I believe esp. Ueshiba. I believe myself this is why aikido is non-competitive; the realisation that there is always someone who can beat you no matter how powerful you are and that the only long term option is reconciliation [take note GW Bush!].

Also, I would greatly appreciate you posting any research work on aikiweb.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 03-05-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
ian

P.S. Be very careful about your sources Jonathon - many people have written misleading things about aikido and the founder. It's best to use good quality historical sources which are supportable rather than stories which have been passed from person to person then published as 'truth'.

Also I believe some people have an agenda when they write things (e.g. John Stevens is a lecturer in Buddhism and always trys to push the spiritual aspects)

Old 03-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
ian

A very interesting pre-war anti-chinese and Japanese nationalistic section is in the start of Budo Training - by Ueshiba. Don't buy the book for this purpose, see if you can borrow it.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
ian

It may be worth going through aiki-jitsu sources to find out about other views of Ueshibas origins (aikido derives from aikijitsu). Ueshiba also did yari-jitsu (spear fighting), kodokan judo, and sword work (can't remember the school). Also trained in many different ju-jitsu schools.

As far as I am aware it is Americans who mainly came to aikido (following WWII) and brought it back. But the big event was probably the 'golden/silver bridge(never remember which) that Ueshiba intended to form between the US and Japan by going to Hawaii and introducing aikido.

Origins of the hakama are with the samurai and traditinal japanese dress. A more pertinent question is why did other martial arts loose the hakama (Ueshiba would scold those who didn't turn up to training in their hakamas initially since they were dressed 'only in their underwear'. It was due to the cost of material after WWII that some of his senior students appealed to Ueshiba to allow lower grades to train without hakama). May be hard to find the real origins as it must go along way back in Japanese history.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:52 AM   #11
Veers

Thanks for the info Ian...as for sources...yes, I realize that...thus, I have the following in my opening paragraphs:

"As with any topic as broad as an entire martial art's history, there are many facts, myths, rumors, and stories pertaining to aikido and its development."

Also, I figured Americans brought it back. The question is changed to "officially" brough (or sent, if you will) over.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #12
Vincentharris
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido
I thought that the original purpose of the hakama was to protect the legs when a samurai would be riding a horse. Have you tried asking the question on Google.com ?

Optimists consider the glass half full, Pessimists consider the glass haf empty. I consider the glass is TOO BIG.