Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
fedor vs silva

I watched the Fedor /Silva fight last night. How is it fair that Silva weighs 50 pounds more than Fedor? I think they should have a new weight class for super heavy weights.
Mary
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: fedor vs silva

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
I watched the Fedor /Silva fight last night. How is it fair that Silva weighs 50 pounds more than Fedor? I think they should have a new weight class for super heavy weights.
I'm not sure you can ever achieve the fairness you are looking for. No two fighters are exactly equal. 50 pounds is tough to overcome, though. And Bigfoot Silva's ground and pound is scary.

Maybe it would've been more fair if Fedor had "IP/IT/IS."

The time may be coming to split the heavyweight class, which is currently 206-265. There are certainly a number of talented 285 pounders who cut to 265. But I don't think there are quite enough quality fighters to support that weight class yet.

One other option, although I doubt we'll ever see it in professional sports, is fight time only weigh-ins. It might encourage smaller cuts.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I agree about the division and weigh-ins....I think Fedor might just have touch of IT ;o) ...he is very relaxed.
Mary
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
chillzATL
United_States

not enough talent to support a SHW division. The time may be coming, but right now it would be a few top guys (spread across several orgs) fighting tubs with poor conditioning. As MMA starts to draw in more elite level athletes we'll probably see more of a need for this, but right now I think the small-ish HW's are just going to have to deal with it.