Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands
Re: Announced Vs. Unannounced Testing

Gefeliciteerd Dave,

wel je oefeningen doen he?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #27
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: View Post
Gefeliciteerd Dave,

wel je oefeningen doen he?
Ik oefen iedere dag ongeveer een half uurtje
Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #28
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
Ik oefen iedere dag ongeveer een half uurtje
We should be talking English overhere

Back to training
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #29
nuxie

Dojo: Aikido of Evansville
United_States

Congrats also Dave!!
A couple of weeks ago towards the end of class my sensei sat down on the mats next to the students and then motioned for my sempei to go out onto the mat... Then sensei said my name to go out on the mat. I though ohhh no he is going to test me now? Whats going on? Now way. So I go out and sit and bow to a very grinning uke. Sensei started naming off techniques and I did my best. Then at the end of class he said... Hmm I like pop quizzes. I was soo darn relieved that it wasn't my test. HAHA. Now I have to be on guard because I don't know if what I am doing is a pop quiz or a test.

That next week my sempei had his testing. He knew a week ahead of time about his test. It went really well. After seeing the way it was conducted I am not nearly ready to test now. So no one has talked about it and I have not brought it up for the past couple weeks. I think we should wait for another couple of months.

Mary
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

We typically have many weeks' notice. We're a small dojo made up of busy adults, and finding a date that everyone can make is not easy (and there are usually a few people who are short a few hours, too). If you don't block out the date well in advance, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #31
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I was taught that testing was just another day of training, no more important than any other. It really isn't all about me . I must take care of my uke, relax and do my best just like every class.

We can creat stories in our mind about anything. The truth happens in the moment.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #32
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

We had a gassuku/grading day yesterday - after the first hour class one of our members was invited to walk with sensei to his car. It made sense later on when he was called on to do his shodan test.

Eek, glad it wasn't me! Though I'm sure the nature of it helped him keep his cool and perspective. (He passed. )

The world changes when you do.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #33
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Our test days are about every 3 months, on Saturdays, and announced well in advance so as many people as possible can be there. We you are being tested, you find a mentor to work with, which is a great opportunity to really work out the finer points of techniques, and to get all your questions answered. For most is it a period of more-intensive-than-usual training, which is fun. And on the flip side, as a mentor you get to do the same intensive training, and refine your own understanding by helping your kohai prepare for their exams.

Of course with unannounced testing people could still do the same thing (train harder and help each other, just whenever), but I find the structure, deadlines, and goals useful, personally.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba