Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States
Kids practicing Kotegaeshi

Kids 12 and under practice kotegaeshi outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTu9-cDWZ1A

Last edited by Red Beetle : 04-18-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Kids practicing Kotegaeshi

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote: View Post

With all due respect, the technique is being performed in a manner that opens the nage up to being struck with the free hand if the uke did not want to take ukemi. On top of that, no kazushi before the finish. Good start, but I would go back to the drawing board........

Marc Abrams
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
With all due respect, the technique is being performed in a manner that opens the nage up to being struck with the free hand if the uke did not want to take ukemi. On top of that, no kazushi before the finish. Good start, but I would go back to the drawing board........

Marc Abrams
Hey Marc,
Thanks for commenting.
They're just starting.
This was their first practice
with the ukemi (on this technique).

Did you notice how I used the
declivity of the hill to ease the
ukemi? What do you think?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Hey Marc,
Thanks for commenting.
They're just starting.
This was their first practice
with the ukemi (on this technique).

Did you notice how I used the
declivity of the hill to ease the
ukemi? What do you think?
Monty:

I spend a majority of my time with the children developing a good external and internal structure and then help them to work on achieving kazushi without them having to "worry" about techniques. That way, when they begin working on stuff like that, it tends to work better because the basic foundations of making a technique work are there before the techniques. Otherwise, the kids become "surprised" when a non-compliant kid does not roll for them but instead clocks them..... I think we tend to focus too much on techniques instead of the the fundamentals that really make them work. Just me 2 cents of course, and with today's economy, not worth even that.....

The hill is an interesting idea. I frankly am surprised how little assistance children need with ukemi. It tends to be the adults, who have a life-long base of muscle fears and tensions, that tend to have real problems with ukemi.

Regards,

marc abrams
Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post

Marc Abrams
I think it's good that they are looking to see that they can do the breakfall which to my mind is exactly what they are doing? Outside on the grass where they can land safely on the mats they have positioned before they practise?
Waza is useless for anybody if they can't escape it first? That is where the fear comes in, the inability to do good ukemi?
I'd love to have those two kids in my dojo..... Alas 'elf & safety makes it a big no no......
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
I think it's good that they are looking to see that they can do the breakfall which to my mind is exactly what they are doing? Outside on the grass where they can land safely on the mats they have positioned before they practise?
Waza is useless for anybody if they can't escape it first? That is where the fear comes in, the inability to do good ukemi?
I'd love to have those two kids in my dojo..... Alas 'elf & safety makes it a big no no......
Tony:

Thank you for sharing......

Marc Abrams
Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi Tony,

why? what does health and safety prevent kids from practicing. I have 16 kids in my club and H&S doesn't prevent me from teaching them anything. We have our own rules of engagement and nobody gets damaged.

I know Health and Safety regulations can be blamed for many things, but what is it that prevents you from teaching kids?

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Tony,

why? what does health and safety prevent kids from practicing. I have 16 kids in my club and H&S doesn't prevent me from teaching them anything. We have our own rules of engagement and nobody gets damaged.

I know Health and Safety regulations can be blamed for many things, but what is it that prevents you from teaching kids?

regards

Mark
Hello Mark,
Commitment is one and parents is another, there is nothing worse than a parent/s who thinks their kids need toughening up. Maybe they should set the example? I used to teach kids and the minority loved it
One tries to make it fun within reason, but kids generally these days are not good on commitment, they seem to be a rarity..... I always had an informal chat with each one on their own to see what it is they want from martial arts, it's surprising what they come up with..... Very few understand what it is they are letting themselves in for....... I always gave them a few free lessons to see if they were going to like it.
There is always one that somehow doesn't fit in no matter what you do to help or encourage. I generally refer them to the local judo club now, if they can cope with judo, then maybe I will entertain it. I don't take anybody under 16 years now and only with the parents or guardians express permission. I also have a chat with the parents to to see what they have to say, it helps me to appraise what they and their child really wants from it.....Maybe you've been lucky so far....?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Quote:
I don't get that we have three kids classes a week in my dojo with up to 20 kids on the mat.

No problem at all - even when one got a foot to the nose last week!

I find our kids to be disciplined and enthusiastic. To be frank I get a bit fed up with all the negativity around kids classes - perhaps it's a comment on the instructors willingness not to be bothered with "just kids"
Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Oh forgot to say I think the video is good and like the idea of developing good ukemi as soon as possible.
Monty just keep doin' what you're doin'
Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
I don't get that we have three kids classes a week in my dojo with up to 20 kids on the mat.

No problem at all - even when one got a foot to the nose last week!

I find our kids to be disciplined and enthusiastic. To be frank I get a bit fed up with all the negativity around kids classes - perhaps it's a comment on the instructors willingness not to be bothered with "just kids"
Sorry wrong, kids can't be "bovered" with me.... Maybe I'm too disciplined?
I see some MA clubs and quite honestly it's really a play club with very little instruction in the ma they are doing. I'm just not into that... all the badges and knick knacks, sorry it's just not my scene.....
Probably got something to do with it being an "effluent" area?
I really don't know....
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Sorry wrong, kids can't be "bovered" with me.... Maybe I'm too disciplined?
I see some MA clubs and quite honestly it's really a play club with very little instruction in the ma they are doing. I'm just not into that... all the badges and knick knacks, sorry it's just not my scene.....
Probably got something to do with it being an "effluent" area?
I really don't know....
This post cracked me up! Welcome back to the forum Tony.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
denstock
United_States

Quote:

well good start for them, thought not perfect