Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #351
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Sorry, Paige. I have to agree with you on that one.

In vocal biting, scratching, and kicking, though, you excell.

Please don't shoot.
*Bang!*

next thread: Aikido vs Guns

Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #352
Guilty Spark

United_States

Whats vocal aikido?

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #353
ksy
Malaysia

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote:
Whats vocal aikido?
i guess it's when someone "attacks" you vocally, and you harmonise with it.

still trying to get it, man. i'm trying to vocal "aikido" my girlfriend especially when she's in "one of those moods" (heh heh), y'know? It's hard when your natural instinct is to strike/lash out in defence, rather than move off the line.

but i hope in time i can learn to circumvent my natural instinct (the need to attack in in a supposed fight/flee situation )and turn it into something else, something less aggresive, something more...."mystical".
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #354
dps

Quote:
Kong Seng Yuan wrote:
...especially when she's in "one of those moods" (heh heh), y'know? It's hard when your natural instinct is to strike/lash out in defence, rather than move off the line.

but i hope in time i can learn to circumvent my natural instinct (the need to attack in in a supposed fight/flee situation )and turn it into something else, something less aggresive, something more...."mystical".
When in situation as described above, say the mantra " yes dear" several times.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #355
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
When in situation as described above, say the mantra " yes dear" several times.
Doesn't work.

My wife knows I don't mean it.

But we work it out.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #356
Gwion
Dojo: New York Ki-Aikido
United_States

Let me translate:

RED BEETLE:
Hey Aikido people! I'm involved in Judo and jujitsu etc., and I really get a kick out of the physical and technical aspect of martial arts. I'm curious about what else there is to it, and would like to learn more about Aikido, but I don't have the maturity to come onto a message board and ask friendly questions.

Instead, I'm going to define a very limited explanation of Aikido, its purpose, and function, and challenge all of you to 'throw me' from my position. As each of you tries to loosen my close-minded grip on the situation, I will clench even tighter, shouting, "no it's not!" "see, it's coercion! ha, I win!"

WAYNE:
That's nice RED BEETLE. You're right about EVERYTHING, now, tell us, why are you frustrated by concepts such as ki, bowing, and meditation? What is the event in your life that made you turn against these things? Or perhaps, tell us more about your philosophy, and why you feel a need to block and reject these.

tada! I just performed Aikido.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #357
Infantryman1990
United_States

"Maybe Morihei Uyeshiba should have joined an Amish community instead of the religious school of Omoto-kyo."

I'm late to this dance, but the fact is that in many ways, O Sensei did.

The Amish are farmers. . . O Sensei retired to farm.

--
Ryan Riggs
Plano, Texas

Currently on the disabled list.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #358
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

That might have been fortuitous for the Amish - preventing the awful tragedy of last week. Very practical body useage is a key survival skill after all, no matter how diluted this sensibility has become in many members of modern society. Humans can "harm at a distance", luckily for us, since we are so weak, but without body skills we would not be able to protect our closest distances very well.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #359
Tom Fish
Dojo: McAllen
United_States

Greetings,
This thread has really been enjoyable for many reasons. It has allowed me to reflect about the first days of training in Judo. It was required that we learn the Japanese terminology, bow, and listen to the sensei about how to behave on and off the mat. This training helped teach me how important it is to respect what we are doing and who we are doing it with. It allowed me to open my mind and realize that just because I didn't understand something, that there was value to what I didn't understand.It is easy to chalk up what we don't understand as being some "mystical" concept not worth our time or efforts. I have found that respecting others and respecting what we do has actually been beneficial in allowing me the frame of mind needed to acquire the most from my training. I would never think of disrespecting my Aikido teachers and fellow students by claiming that the things I don't grasp are mystical bull that are best left out of practice. I would also never be proud to have been thrown out of a dojo for being disrespectful. I look forward to many more years of practicing, knowing that there is a lifetime of things to learn. Grateful for the things I have learned and respectful of the people who have helped me get here, I try to teach my students the formalities, to help them get the most out of their journey. They should be able to go anywhere and not offend someone accidentally or embarrass themselves. Learning the names of the techniques will give them a universal background for understanding what is being taught all around the world. An open mind will allow us all to discover the things that we are trying to find.My early days in Judo and Aikido were filled with questions about the validity of the things I was being shown. The patience and respect that were shown helped me find answers to these questions and have kept me involved ever since. It is with this respect that I hope we can all gain a better understanding of each other and attain a better understanding of Aikido.
Best Regards
Tom Fish