Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-18-2000, 02:03 AM   #26
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
It will certainly help develop your body movement - after all, your arms won't be attatched in a few weeks and the body will be the only thing left to move.

Regards
Old 10-18-2000, 10:38 PM   #27
Erik
Re: Blades in the Dojo

Quote:
RoninKivjoru wrote:
I am a beginner in Aikido (Just started this fall) in a class taught at the University of Kansas. After only a semester of training, our Sensei brings his Katana to class to practice ma-ai, or proper spacing. He uses the blade only in a downward motion and calls out the movement we are to make to avoid the blade. We've done it several times already with bokken, but the idea of the real blade adds a sense of anxiety to the excersize. Since the basic ideas of Ki-Aikido is learning to relax under any situations, I feel that the brade is an excellent tool for the class room.
Chris Owen
This is almost exactly how I got drilled and ostensibly it was for the very reasons you mention. Any sensei worth his/her weight in rice ought to have plenty of tricks to make you uncomfortable without a blade. You've got years of being uncomfortable before a live blade would really add value. Hell, just getting comfortable in my first gi took a few months. Stupid cheap drawstrings never stayed tied.

PS: I bet the blade is dull. Hope so at least.
Old 10-29-2000, 10:11 AM   #28
Tom Scott
Dojo: Tom Scott's Shaolin Kempo
live blades

I Instruct Shaolin Kempo.
We have many techniques which deal with defending against the blade.

To inject some level of reality to the training, when we are in the blade defense cycle, I take one day, invite everyone to wear their ' civies ', and I use a waterbased red marker to paint the edges and points of the blades.

At the end of the session everyone including myself has a greater realization of the truism that if you pklay with knives you WILL be cut, as the red marks are abundant. There is almost no way to prevent reverse cut with a double edged blade, and if a person has even the slightest training in real knife fighting situations, they find that the blade isnt presented for any length of time, and when one factors in the accumulated shcok factors of blood loss due to alot of cuts, let alone the deadly shock of a stabbing wound, the best advise I can give my students is that ' unarmed defense against a knife ( or sword ) is the equvalent of an oxymoron '.

Run like the wind is the best bet. If you cant run, realize that you can save your life with training, but that means creating a door and going through it as fast as it is presented.

Tom
Old 11-01-2000, 01:19 AM   #29
BJP
OT- good katana needed

Hello Everyone,

Would some one please let me know where I might obtain a good quality authentic, katana... how do I find collectors (or dealers, hmmmm) in these? Any info or starting points would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce
Old 11-03-2000, 03:48 AM   #30
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: OT- good katana needed

Quote:
BJP wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Would some one please let me know where I might obtain a good quality authentic, katana... how do I find collectors (or dealers, hmmmm) in these? Any info or starting points would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce
If you are not wedded to the idea of an old sword, the place to go is Bugei at their website:
http://www.bugei.com/

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-07-2000, 10:42 AM   #31
BC
I agree that there is no place for live blade practice in an aikido dojo. A possible exception to this might be in the solo practice of iaido kata (and I've heard of many instances of where practitioners were injured just doing this!). I have the benefit of a little training in knife fighting from another martial art I used to practice, and can tell you that the attacks we practice with the tanto in aikido are VERY stylized and not very close to the way any trained knife fighter would fight. A trained knife fighter can change hands, positions, and grips at a moment's notice, and many times will conceal the weapon with their bodies, thus minimizing the telegraphing of any attack or body movement. And they will be knowledgeable of the most lethal and damaging ways to injure the human body (in terms of nerve, organ, tissue and blood vessel attacks). VERY DANGEROUS to defend against! Bladed weapons are excellent reminders of how fragile the human body really is.

I'm still amazed how in aikido, some students still don't learn to at least acknowledge and respect the blade edge of the tanto when practicing. That and the fact that at least in the dojo where I practice, there are some senior students who actually collect and carry around knives in the street. I am troubled by this because it is illegal AND in my mind contrary to the underlying philosohy of aikido (plus I suspect that they really wouldn't know how to use them very well on the street if they needed to).

That's not to say that one doesn't learn any benefitial self defense against knife attacks in aikido. You definitely can, if practiced properly and diligently for a while.

Robert Cronin
Old 11-11-2000, 04:17 PM   #32
aikikid
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
Ai symbol

I've been knocked around a few times. Bokken on the collarbone, and a lovely gouge to my stomach during a jo session gone wrong. But at least I haven't been cut.....yet.

-Chris
Tou wa ichiji no haji,
towanu wa matsudai no haji
Old 11-11-2000, 08:30 PM   #33
ki

The art of aikido HAS TO BE trained in a ultimate way of "theoretical" attack, in order to be able to learn the basics.
When you reach a state of "natural" reply to any kind of attack, you will also have learned to be aware of the possibility of an attack before it really happens.
That moment in time is of the utmost essence.
When you can foresee an attack and are prepared for it before it happens, only then you are beginning to understand the true value of your aikido practice.

Groetingen van Hans
Old 11-11-2000, 08:56 PM   #34
Nick
United_States
Ki-

good idea, but for those woh haven't reached that stage of enlightenment, a little leeway from our opponent always helps .

Stay well,

Nick
Old 11-13-2000, 02:54 AM   #35
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Yeh,
I haven't quite got round to being able to see spiritual bullets yet...

...maybe that is something that could be introduced into our practise if aikido becomes too popular.