Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 AM   #1
""
IP Hash: fd2ce201
Anonymous User
goodbye cruel world!

Like most IT geeks, I suffer from an inability to socialize, I have debated the perceived reasons and factors which contribute to this malady a million times but I am still drawing a blank, so I think I shall do the only thing left for me.

Now suicide is somewhat pase and overplayed, mostly employed by rockstars and celebrities who cannot handle the pressures of being famous, good looking and desireable.

I being neither rich nor famous nor good looking need to be original, so I have decided to kill myself by throwing myself totally into the study of Aikido.

I have been doing it rather diligently for about a year now, about 3 classes a week give or take. The option is open to me to go to 6 classes a week so that will be my first step. I also seem to be holding back in my attacks, well, no more.

The reasoning behind this is that Aikido will either kill me, as in fall and break my neck and die or it will cripple me, taking my suffering into fresh and new dimensions or it will cure me (ha ha yeah right) and I will be able to get over whatever is bothering me.

Any tips and caveats to look out for in this new endeavour of mine?
Old 11-27-2003, 05:42 AM   #2
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Maybe your ego will get killed ,

which is good !

enjoy !
Old 11-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
This will be good for you. Nothing beats all those silly thoughts out of a person as well as a load of koshinage and nikyo's... Go for it.

Get over the pondering with a good pounding.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 11-27-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: goodbye cruel world!

Whether you are on the mat or off, you will carry your problems with you. Only until you face your troubles and do something about them, will your situation change.

If you are doing Aikido for the wrong reasons, it will be wrong Aikido. No matter how technically "Good" you become, it will still be wrong Aikido.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #5
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Ted "If you are doing Aikido for the wrong reasons, it will be wrong Aikido" - as a matter of interest, what are the right reasons? I could understand you viewing others reasons for practice as "inappropriate" to how *you* want to see aikido practiced, but wrong??

[insert badly translated smug admonishment here]
Old 11-27-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: goodbye cruel world!

Quote:
() wrote:
The reasoning behind this is that Aikido will either kill me, as in fall and break my neck and die or it will cripple me, taking my suffering into fresh and new dimensions or it will cure me (ha ha yeah right) and I will be able to get over whatever is bothering me.
Aikido will do none of those things...you will. Aikido will only be the tool you use to do them. Take responsibility for your life. If it's good you made it good, if it's bad you made it bad and only you can change it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-27-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
tedehara

Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
Ted "If you are doing Aikido for the wrong reasons, it will be wrong Aikido" - as a matter of interest, what are the right reasons? I could understand you viewing others reasons for practice as "inappropriate" to how *you* want to see aikido practiced, but wrong??
You should know for yourself, what is correct for you. You are the world expert on yourself, since no one else can say what your true feelings are.

Tentative observations can be made by others. The original poster wants to do Aikido in lieu of suicide. Would you say this is a correct motivation for practicing Aikido? I would say "No". Practicing a martial art with that motive will probably lead to injury for either himself or others. It's an accident waiting to happen.

What are the right reasons for practicing? I think we all have our own set of right reasons. Perhaps a right reason for one person is a wrong reason for another.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-27-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
happysod
United Kingdom
Ted, "You are the world expert on yourself, since no one else can say what your true feelings are" - you're just anti-psychiatrist here aren't you...

Seriously, the reason I took issue with your choice of words (i.e. wrong) is that I don't believe there are any right or wrong reasons for taking up aikido (misguided, yes, wrong, no), now how you conduct yourself within the dojo is another matter, which is where our viewpoints may coincide.

Old 11-27-2003, 08:54 AM   #9
fvhale
Dojo: none
Dear Mr. Anonymous,

Disclaimer: I am not a psychiatrist, psychotherapist or licensed counselor. If you are seriously considering suicide, please immediately seek professional assistance in your community. It is not a joking matter.

Now if your problem is just the IT-geek-can't-a-date-on-Friday kind of thing, then I have a suggestion. Rather than doubling the amount of time you spend in aikido from 3 to 6 classes a week, do something different with your available time and energy. Obviously doing 3 aikido classes a week for a year did not change much. Doing 6 classes a week probably won't change much. (Is there a pattern here?) Do something different. Take a tango class. Take an art class. Taka a Japanese class. Learn to surf. Hang with some slightly less geeky folk.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Frank
Old 11-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #10
tedehara

Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
Ted, "You are the world expert on yourself, since no one else can say what your true feelings are" - you're just anti-psychiatrist here aren't you...

Seriously, the reason I took issue with your choice of words (i.e. wrong) is that I don't believe there are any right or wrong reasons for taking up aikido (misguided, yes, wrong, no), now how you conduct yourself within the dojo is another matter, which is where our viewpoints may coincide.
When I used the words right or wrong, I'm using it in a relative, subjective manner. I'm not using it in an absolute, Biblical manner.

It's part of the baggage that goes with words.

I thought a psychiatrist helped you to uncover what your true feelings are. A psychiatrist without a patient is unemployed.

About Ki
About You
Old 11-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #11
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Frank Hale (fvhale) wrote:
Now if your problem is just the IT-geek-can't-a-date-on-Friday kind of thing, then I have a suggestion. Rather than doubling the amount of time you spend in aikido from 3 to 6 classes a week, do something different with your available time and energy. Obviously doing 3 aikido classes a week for a year did not change much. Doing 6 classes a week probably won't change much. (Is there a pattern here?) Do something different. Take a tango class. Take an art class. Taka a Japanese class. Learn to surf. Hang with some slightly less geeky folk.
Excellent advice, I'd like to add a hearty "ME TOO!" to this. It's obviously going to be scarier to get into something new than it is to double your training, all the more reason to go do it!

Sean

x
Old 11-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #12
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Learn to dance!

Learn to dance!

Learn to dance!!!

Jeanne
Old 11-27-2003, 02:07 PM   #13
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: a9d1ba90
Anonymous User
That was how I began Aikido. I figured if I didn't die I would become a better person. So I say go for it!

You'll be a better tori in the long run and you'll also have a very prolific tequinical understanding of both sides of the coin, and IMO, You'll become a better teacher because 75% of learning tori is being Uke! bravo
Old 11-27-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
"Colin Karl"
IP Hash: b152b5a7
Anonymous User
Ok I was just checking to see if I could post, I tried a while back to register and for some reason it didn't work,but anyways going all out in aikido wouldn't be a bad thing, you will do a lot better than if you hesitate.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:50 PM   #15
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
When I first read this I thought Troll or just taking the p**s!!!

First - if someone is serious about suicide, they kill themselves, not talk about it.

Anyway, I probably should not even post this, as I could be responding to a Troll!!!

Whatever!

Osu!
Old 11-27-2003, 04:55 PM   #16
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: Re: goodbye cruel world!

Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
If you are doing Aikido for the wrong reasons, it will be wrong Aikido.
Are there wrong reasons?

Is there wrong Aikido?

Later Ted says you should know yourself, but Aikido is a way to find yourself!

I don't think there are wrong reasons if they are true to you - that you gain something from it.

Osu!
Old 11-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #17
Bushi
Something to think about--

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but MY words will never pass away"

--Matthew 24:35, the Bible.

I'm not trying to tell you to do anything, I was just reading through here and that popped up in my head. think about it... i hope you find what you're looking for...
Old 11-27-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Of course there is the possibility that Aikido will help you learn to channel and focus your mind and inner energy to the degree where you break the "IT Geek" mode and enter the "IT Professional" mode by learning to view yourself differently, allowing you to utilise your abilities in IT to your social advantage.

Often all it takes is a bit of getting over yourself, stopping the whining and getting out there and facing life. Honest self evaluation combined with an equally honest and systematic method of changing those parts of yourself that stunt/hinder/block your energy tend to aid one to create a program of self improvement, and when we improve ourselves our perception of self changes.

I think some more mental/spiritual Aikido training, even meditation classes may help. This thread was interesting to me, I have stood exactly where you are now some time ago and that was the same time I walked into an Aikido dojo and began to understand that if I project negativity at life, it is what I will get out of it.

Hope this helps. Suicide solves nothing, you only carry the baggage somewhere else. The place and time to change the tide is here and now.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-27-2003, 09:05 PM   #19
Suru
United_States
Quote:
Si Wilson (siwilson) wrote:
First - if someone is serious about suicide, they kill themselves, not talk about it.
This is nonsense. Many suicidal people begin talking about it, hoping (thinking hope but not feeling hope) that there may be another alternative. Suicidal people may have exhausted all internal methods of finding a way to live happily. Some of them begin turning to others for ideas and guidance.

If depression is the case, there are hundreds of anti-depressants on the market that work. Find one with a suitable array of side-effects and try it out. When I have been in the dumps, they have certainly worked for me. They do not solve the whole problem, however, and trying an art like Aikido is an excellent move.

If you are depressed, seek help from a psychiatrist. I know it's scary walking into that office for the first time, so it will take bravery on your part to make this step. Know that most psychiatrists truly care, and that these days the stigma of mental illness is fading fast.

I wish you the best,

Drew
Old 11-27-2003, 09:46 PM   #20
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Is it just me but I thought the first post was and was meant to be funny.

It sure wasn't a cry fro help - he's already found it.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-28-2003, 05:15 AM   #21
happysod
United Kingdom
Peter, humour on aikiweb, surely you jest. Incidently, you call doing aikido "finding help" - are you nuts?

Old 11-28-2003, 05:26 AM   #22
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
Surely this post was "tongue in cheek"

Why is everyone being so pretentious about it?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #23
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Id agree, it is funny, just very black and sort of subtle.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #24
Esteban Martinez
Dojo: Shoshinkan Dojo
My teacher said once to me that the dojo was neither a gym nor a church. What he meant was that the dojo is simply that a dojo. A place to train. I tell you now that a dojo is not a hospital or a phychiatrist. If you need help go to a professional.

Good Luck
Old 11-28-2003, 10:53 PM   #25
Suru
United_States
Quote:
Esteban Martinez wrote:
My teacher said once to me that the dojo was neither a gym nor a church. What he meant was that the dojo is simply that a dojo. A place to train. I tell you now that a dojo is not a hospital or a phychiatrist. If you need help go to a professional.

Good Luck
I'm going to assume this thread is not a joke, since I'm dubious that it is. Esteban gave great advice. Almost all professionals take their job (getting you feeling better) very seriously. Take care.

Drew