Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
Juliette
Dojo: ANV
United_States
Re: Long hair and Aikido

I have to say that the two braided pigtails work well. I have thickish wavy hair past my shoulders and it has never stayed all back in a ponytail for a practice which along with getting used to wearing a gi, is very distracting! I tried 2 side braids, felt a bit silly, and it worked out well. Not once did I have to retie my hair back or mess with it in any way. Now I really can't imagine that anyone in a dojo would make a pervy comment concerning the school girl look while training and if something is said off the mat whether you are around or not, who cares, screw em!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #27
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote: View Post
....I suppose if my hair was long enough and I was skilled enough, the Princess Leia hairstyle would be the most practical!
funny, I was just thinking about that last night! Imagine showing up with that hair-do! Everyone would get the joke and it might really work.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #28
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

I had my grandma cut mine off this morning. It was getting tangled in my hands last time I did the dishes, and I couldn't take it any more.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #29
Luc X Saroufim

would a bun work?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #30
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote: View Post
would a bun work?
I tried this once; not so good. then again, back then I was whacking myself in the nose with my knee trying to roll, so maybe it would work now.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #31
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

I had my hair to below my bum for a long lime, it's now to the bottom of my shoulder blades, but that's because i wanted a change. It's more of a nuisance now as it's layered and the shorter layers wont stay back. When i had long hair i plaited it, then doubled it over so the end of the plat was tied up at the base of mu neck make a sort of loop of plaited air going down my neck. That always worked well, and as long as it stayed up no one i can remember knelt on it or anything.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #32
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post

That made me laugh Jo. I hadn't really thought about that aspect.
You should think about it, I feel fear whenever a bloke pins me. Imagine a huge 6th kyu, twice as wide and tall as you, trying to go down to do ikkyo, shoving his knee right under your chest, and suddenly your roling around the mat, tears streaming down your face cluching your boobs while sensei runs over to ask if your ok. You're left thinking, i'll live, but if he does that again i'll knee bits he doesn't want squashed. It really really hurts. A note to the boys, what where your knees go, don't think we're always tapping because your doing the pin right, we just want you to move your knees!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #33
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Well guys don't have that problem!!! Have to admit that the ladies do look cute when all braided up and so forth... but can be a problem when doing ne waza..... great for me as I can easily slip out of irimi nages and the like!! har har! Mind you the missus has always had long locks and would often swish them about into the the eyes of those who were'nt expecting it!! Can be be an advantage at times!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #34
Jess McDonald
United_States

Long hair, short hair hair is hair. Do you think a killer is going to care if hair is braided or whatever? Just kick ass, that's all.
When the apocalypse comes we should all shave our heads and go Mad Max style. That would cool!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #35
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

Do you think outside the dojo an attacker wouldn't try to grab your hair? In a similar fashion, I go home every night from class with huge bruises on my arms and various strains....I even broke my toe last week in class. It's all part of training - if I can't take the pain in the dojo, then how much can I expect to take on the street?

I doubt there's any way to keep your hair from ever being pulled or knelt on during training, so it should be whichever way you find most comfortable.

I just recently started removing my earing during class....not that I've had a problem, but I sure don't want to think about having that accidentally ripped out during a fall.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
ikkitosennomusha

A ponytail can be made to work against you. If I was getting desperate, I might be encouraged to grab it and throw that person down with it.

I only offered the potential danger with it but I am sorry that I have not knowledge of how to deal with it. One might use a good deal of pomeade to keep it from flying all over the place.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #37
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

i forgot what technique we were practicing but i have very long hair that is usually pulled back in a braid well my instructor missed grabing the back of my gi and instead grabbed my hair, and threw me buy that, which wasnt all that fun, when i train i usually just tuck my hair in the back of my gi, it usually keeps it out of the way,

Dan Hulley
Old 04-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #38
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Tony, what gives you the idea that long hair is exclusively female? Did you happen to miss the last 40 years?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1