Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
Doshu mitorekeiko

Today Doshu came to Osaka. I decided not to practice, just because there were so many people (300?) and it would be so crazy. I had forgotten you can get a stamp in your yudansha passport at these seminars, and so I was a little disappointed, I don't have any stamps yet.

He focused on kokyuroku, irimi, and taisabaki. He emphasized the connection we should make with uke, and uke with tori. He especially emphasised that we should treat everyone with respect, apply techniques relative to our uke's ability, and do unto others and you would have done unto you.

A new member to my dojo was surprised that he didn't have more charisma. My take on it is that he wants to present himself as a normal person, he's very humble, and he wants to set that kind of example. Of course that is only my take on it.

It's hard to watch though, it really makes you want to practice. Good thing I only have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Doshu mitorekeiko

Quote:
Ani Forbes wrote: View Post
Today Doshu came to Osaka. I decided not to practice, just because there were so many people (300?) and it would be so crazy. I had forgotten you can get a stamp in your yudansha passport at these seminars, and so I was a little disappointed, I don't have any stamps yet.

He focused on kokyuroku, irimi, and taisabaki. He emphasized the connection we should make with uke, and uke with tori. He especially emphasised that we should treat everyone with respect, apply techniques relative to our uke's ability, and do unto others and you would have done unto you.

A new member to my dojo was surprised that he didn't have more charisma. My take on it is that he wants to present himself as a normal person, he's very humble, and he wants to set that kind of example. Of course that is only my take on it.

It's hard to watch though, it really makes you want to practice. Good thing I only have to wait until tomorrow.
Were you actually able to see the finer points of what Doshu was doing? One possibility would have been to practise and to get as close to Doshu as possible, especially when he was demonstrating.

Actually, I have very negative feelings about the value of huge seminars, where no one can see what is going on and so the possibility of actual transmission of any knowledge obtainable is virtually zero. These seminars are more like church services in a cathedral, or religious rallies where the Pope appears and does what popes usually do. They are of value more for reaffirming one's faith in aikido than for adding to one's technical knowledge of the art.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
...They are of value more for reaffirming one's faith in aikido than for adding to one's technical knowledge of the art.

Best wishes,

PAG
Huh?

Could you explain what you mean by ...reaffirming one's faith in aikido...?

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Actually, I have very negative feelings about the value of huge seminars, where no one can see what is going on and so the possibility of actual transmission of any knowledge obtainable is virtually zero. These seminars are more like church services in a cathedral, or religious rallies where the Pope appears and does what popes usually do. They are of value more for reaffirming one's faith in aikido than for adding to one's technical knowledge of the art.
I think I see what you mean about them being more of a rally...just yesterday at my dojo we had a grand total of 4 people training, but the level of focus and interaction with sensei was so much more potent. It also didn't hurt that 2 of the 4 students were also the two highest ranked in the dojo, but getting that kind of concentrated focus was quite amazing compared to days when we have more students around. Not that those days aren't extreamly useful too, but relatively speaking, yesterday was far more insightful than usual...and I had a much more difficult time getting the waza correct enough to keep from being overwhealmed.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

Doshu came to Okinawa Aikikai to administer the test for my shodan. He was not Doshu at that time as his father was still alive. They called him WakaSensei back then. I was not able to take ukemi for him but the event was something I will never forget.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Carl Thompson

Japan

The Doshu had his regular two-day seminar here in Iwama just a few weeks ago. That was great to watch and we definitely got to see his human side. It was still a busy seminar, but in a small venue so everyone could see and have a go. Just watching gives you ideas but you really need to practise to make them real.

I have a special reason for enjoying mitorigeiko at the moment: I broke my hand in a cycling accident. I've still got another week or so before I lose the cast. In the meantime, it's frustrating, but fascinating to watch how different people interact with each other. It's quite exciting sometimes, particularly when you know the participants. How will X-Sensei cope doing that with Y-Sensei?

I could say more, but that's about all I can write one handed for now…

Regards
Carl
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

I could see quite well, so it was ok that I couldn't practice.
He didn't practice with anyone though. I was disappointed. My sensei always walks around and practices with people at seminars, so I thought that was standard. I would like to know his reasons.

Today we were talking about it at practice. His style is kind of classic textbook aikido. however usually a sensei developes their own style. I honestly prefer my sensei's style, but it's good to see. Doshu makes everything look like he's just walking down the street, saying hello, and bang, irimi nage.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Today we were talking about it at practice. His style is kind of classic textbook aikido. however usually a sensei developes their own style. I honestly prefer my sensei's style, but it's good to see. Doshu makes everything look like he's just walking down the street, saying hello, and bang, irimi nage.
Consider the idea that rather than Doshu's style being classic textbook aikido, that perhaps classic textbook aikido is Doshu's style.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
David Humm
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Consider the idea that rather than Doshu's style being classic textbook aikido, that perhaps classic textbook aikido is Doshu's style.
Personally I don't like to think of anyone's aikido (including Doshu) as being "text book".

Aikido being a gendai is open to development and individual interpretation of application which means from one generation to another you are going to see differences (sometimes extreme) from one to another. Look at what is taught at the aikikai today against what was taught 50 years ago.

If aikido was koryu then I could see merit in a "text book" statement; look how many text books we have on aikido today from so many different and very skilled aikidoka.

IMHO its difficult to add labels to gendai budo because, by its very nature, it can be done differently thus opinions on what constitute, in this case "text book" will vary considerably.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
I could see quite well, so it was ok that I couldn't practice.
He didn't practice with anyone though. I was disappointed. My sensei always walks around and practices with people at seminars, so I thought that was standard. I would like to know his reasons.

I was told by my Sensei in Japan many years ago that Doshu was effectively restricted to what he could/would/ should do in public. As Doshu, he was tasked with maintaining the line, therefore his Aikido had to be "classic text book".

Personally I happen to like very much the aikido that Doshu does, whenever I've been in his class, it's clear and crisp, and very effective.

I was at special seminar with Doshu one Sunday in Tokyo back in 2002 at the Tokyo Budokan. Whilst practicing Irirminage, my partner turned round and said "ahh Doshu", next instance my partner was in seiza and I was uke for Doshu, I treasure the experience .

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"