Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-22-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Mark Williams
Buying Hakama

Can anyone suggest a (preferably UK based) website that sells good Hakama?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
If you do not find a good website in the UK...

try BUJINDESIGN.COM. It is in the U.S. They have very high quality goods. No I do not work for them!!! I have purchased 2 Hakamas from them along with a lot of other goodies.

Very happy with them.

Good Luck

Larry
Old 03-22-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Ditto to Larry's comments.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Kensai
I'm not really sure if they are any good, but try:

www.martialartssuperstore.com

http://www.paragonmartialarts.co.uk

they are ok. But the hakama are pretty cheap and so you take a chance. Your best bet is finding a good store and giving them a ring and get them to send it to you.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
I am a big fan of BuJin Design, however, there is one better. Go to www.tozando.com

Once you've worn a soft rubber koshiita, you can never go back!

Old 03-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Mark Williams
Doesn't Tozando cost of fortune in import tax?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
I've got to plug bujin here. My first hakama was some random one from the local martial arts supply. Not a good purchase. None of the pleets stayed in, it didn't fit exactly right because it was supposed to be "one size fits all waists" Bujin lets you customize them to your needs.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

Just to add another voice...I love my Mugendo Budogu hak that is made of tetron because it never loses its pleats!

http://www.budugo.com

I didn't know Tozando makes theirs' with rubber koshita insert. When I was making a hak, somebody recommended I use plumbers gasket as an insert, vulcanized rubber, and it truly is the best! Soft, pliable, present, and seemingly indestructable.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I will stand as the lone dissenting voice in the forest. I will no longer purchase hakama(their weapons cases however are hard to beat)from Bujin. My review may be read here.

I've actually had much better luck with a cheap $50 tetron hakama I got from E-Bogu. I also use one of these for iaido and the knees are holding up extremely well.

One of our students got a tetron hakama from Mugendo Budogu, it was nice and the price was good but on closer examination it appeared to be the exact same thing I got from E-Bogu but I got mine at a little over half what he paid. Later he got a Tozando hakama for his birthday. It is very nice and should I choose to have a more premium hakama in the future I'll probably go with them.

The little plastic spoons in the back of the hakama always seem to rip off. The guy mentioned earlier with the Mugendo one had his come off at our summer camp. No big deal really except when it went it made a great big hole at the base of the koshiita. My tetron one also lost it's spoon but it was just the strap holding it on that let loose. In the future I'll most likely just cut these off of new hakama. His Tozando came with long loops of material in the front and back to hold the hakama in place. It seems to be a much better system than the plastic spoons.

My girlfriend also made me a hakama using the pattern from Round Earth Publishing. She made the koshiita so the insert can be removed by opening a Velcro flap at the bottom. I read somewhere that a mouse pad makes a good insert material, I may try it.

Bronson

Last edited by Bronson : 03-22-2004 at 08:36 PM.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-22-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Mark Williams wrote:
Doesn't Tozando cost of fortune in import tax?
No. But the shipping does cost a pretty penny. But for the quality, it's worth it. The one good thing about BuJin is that they do let you customize your hakama. I'm in the process of shortening all the straps on my hakamas. I dislike having so much excess strap to either tuck or roll up. The Iwata Company also has great hakamas but I have to go to a store called Kyoto in Baltimore to get one because their website is hard to understand. By the way, does anyone else hate "bleeding hakamas?"

Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
My girlfriend also made me a hakama using the pattern from Round Earth Publishing. She made the koshiita so the insert can be removed by opening a Velcro flap at the bottom. I read somewhere that a mouse pad makes a good insert material, I may try it.

Bronson
COOL! I "proofed" the pattern for Round Earth and revised the instructions based on the proofing--I hope she liked making it! and I really do recommend trying the plumbers gasket for an insert.

happy keiko!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield