Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Iaido and Aikido

So how many people practice both? I know lots do.

In the UK if you're looking for an Iaido class you probably would be better off either looking for either an aikido or kendo dojo in your area and asking them

Speaking of which does anyone know of any Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido teachers in Scotland?

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 06-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
JohnSeavitt
Re: Iaido and Aikido

Quote:
Mike Haft wrote:
if you're looking for an Iaido class you probably would be better off either looking for either an aikido or kendo dojo in your area ...
And it's certainly not just the UK where that is true.

I've done both, and simultaneously for some time, and I'm inclined to broaden the question a bit. It's always struck me that doing a gendai art like aikido, with a prominent and modern philosophical content, is a bit of a contrast to training in a koryu art (assuming your iai is koryu, I suppose). The kendo folks always had a clear rationale for including kendo no kata and iai training - the old fogies (reasonably) observed that the uppity youths weren't real clear on the handling of a sword after all that shinai work (and enrollment in their koryu dojo was declining, too). I know lots of people like to talk about how "aikido came from the sword" and all, but I wonder what folks perceive they take out of such dual training.

John
Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
yojimbo
Dojo: thistle aikikai
Scotland

mike in response to your query re muso shinden ryu in scotland.my instructor mike flynn 6th dan shihan(formerly of alameda aikikai usa and long term student of tk chiba shihan) teaches muso shinden ryu .mike is also a shihan within the sanshinkai iaido institute and studied directly with mitsuzuka shihan in japan.mike is holding an iaido seminar in glasgow soon and if youd like i will forward details as soon as they become available
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Scott Mcdonald wrote:
mike in response to your query re muso shinden ryu in scotland.my instructor mike flynn 6th dan shihan(formerly of alameda aikikai usa and long term student of tk chiba shihan) teaches muso shinden ryu .mike is also a shihan within the sanshinkai iaido institute and studied directly with mitsuzuka shihan in japan.mike is holding an iaido seminar in glasgow soon and if youd like i will forward details as soon as they become available
That'd be really great, thanks! I'm missing my Iaido while I'm stuck up here in Aberdeen, so I'll take as much as I can get

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Ki-Aikido since 1993

Muso Shinden Ryu since 1994.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Takao Hattori
Dojo: Shunyoukai/Yokosuka
Japan

I learned Omoriryu from Nishio shihan.Finally Nishio Shihan created TohoIai for Aikidoka.

http://www.geocities.jp/yokosuka111/
Old 07-01-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

i got into iai first (i study mjer iaido)

then i got into aikido after i couldnt do kendo anymore and was getting unfit.

as for iai dojos in scotland. theres an mjer one in glen isla.